The Catholic Church is not for respectable people

telegraph.co.uk/culture/9262955/Hilary-Mantel-Catholic-Church-is-not-for-respectable-people.html

guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/belief/2012/may/16/catholic-church-respectable-hilary-mantel

Hilary Mantel an award winning novelist thinks that the Catholic Church is not for respectable people.

In a back to front way it reminds me of Groucho Marx - I’d never join a club that would have me as a member.

I think it was the respectable people of the day who crucified Our Lord wasn’t it?

You mean, people who believe themselves to be respectable, or people others deem respectable? Either way, we’re all mortal, frail, and sinful. Whitewashed sepulchers, and all that.

I think Jesus came for the sinners, not just the winners! :thumbsup: And boy am I glad, 'cause I know which group I’m part of! :whistle:

Summer

Yeah, that awful Mother Teresa, she wasn’t a very respectable person.

maybe she is equating respectable people with those in the society pages.

Are any of us respectable?

To quote Oscar Wilde:

The Catholic Church is for saints and sinners alone. For respectable people, the Anglican Church will do.”

To quote Oscar Wilde:

"The Catholic Church is for saints and sinners alone. For respectable people, the Anglican Church will do.”

:thumbsup:

Nice one!:thumbsup:

This quote goes a long of course to explaining why Oscar was received into the Church on his deathbed.

:thumbsup: :bowdown: :tiphat:

(Three smileys is sufficient, right? Thought so.)

I hear from my agnostic husband that some of my atheist and pagan friends ask him, “Why is Athena religious? She’s WAY smarter than that.” So the attitude expressed by Ms. Mantel isn’t really all that uncommon. At this point, I am content to (hopefully) be a counter-example to all the stereotypes out there.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.