The Catholic Church Seems To Have Many Offices, Why?

Why does the catholic church have many branches of offices, like opus daus, or the fransican order? the church seems to be made up of groups with different names.

[quote=freesoulhope]Why does the catholic church have many branches of offices, like opus daus, or the fransican order? the church seems to be made up of groups with different names.
[/quote]

Free Soul Hope,

Probably the best answer is that “one size does not fit all.” The different groups emphasize different sorts of spirituality and lifestyles–working with the poor, working with the sick, quietly contemplating Jesus, preaching overseas, and so on–and appeal to people of different temperaments.

• Liberian

good anwser! why was there a program on tv about opus daus being to extreem in there worship? there where also priests in the church that didnt seem to agree with some of its works. did you see that program?

[quote=freesoulhope] Why does the catholic church have many branches of offices, like opus daus, or the fransican order? the church seems to be made up of groups with different names.
[/quote]

Because perhaps men didn’t want to belong to the little sisters of the poor? Sorry just kidding, really these groups share some bond, usually established by the founder of the group. For example Mr. “A” decides he wants to eat only bread and drink only water to reduce any pleasure from food and drink, as long as humanity suffers from food shortages and starvation (a kind of personnel sacrifice), someone hears about this and decides it’s a good idea and joins him, then another and another. They share the same view on a particular subject so they form a community. Eventually the group becomes large and becomes established. I may feel eating only bread and drinking only wine is appropriate in memory of the Eucharist, so I start a group and call it “B”, to differentiate my group from those water drinking “A”’s. They are not, as you seem to think, “branches of offices” of the Church, they are simply groups who share a common bond within the Body of Christ. Keep in mind, 1 Cor 12:

[quote=drbo.org] 1 Cor 12,4 Now there are diversities of graces, but the same Spirit; 5 And there are diversities of ministries, but the same Lord; 6 And there are diversities of operations, but the same God, who worketh all in all. 7 And the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man unto profit. 8 To one indeed, by the Spirit, is given the word of wisdom: and to another, the word of knowledge, according to the same Spirit; 9 To another, faith in the same spirit; to another, the grace of healing in one Spirit; 10 To another, the working of miracles; to another, prophecy; to another, the discerning of spirits; to another, diverse kinds of tongues; to another, interpretation of speeches. 11 But all these things one and the same Spirit worketh, dividing to every one according as he will. 12 For as the body is one, and hath many members; and all the members of the body, whereas they are many, yet are one body, so also is Christ. 13 For in one Spirit were we all baptized into one body, whether Jews or Gentiles, whether bond or free; and in one Spirit we have all been made to drink. 14 For the body also is not one member, but many.
[/quote]

[quote=freesoulhope]good anwser! why was there a program on tv about opus daus being to extreem in there worship? there where also priests in the church that didnt seem to agree with some of its works. did you see that program?
[/quote]

Media makes shows for entertainment not education. Please research opus dei from its official web site to get the real info.

These “offices” are called orders, which are different ways of expressing the faith in the wide diversity of the church.

thank you everyone for your info

[quote=freesoulhope]Why does the catholic church have many branches of offices, like opus daus, or the fransican order? the church seems to be made up of groups with different names.
[/quote]

The groups you refer to here are not “offices” but orders. As others have pointed out, not everyone in an order has the same charism (it’s particular focus). This is a good thing within the Church. While the Church is one, it allows for many forms of spirituality (approved by the bishops) so that people can embrace the faith in ways that suit them best or that allow them to serve in specific areas of need, as others have cited. I am a Lay Carmelite, which means I belong to the Order of the Brothers and Sisters of Our Lady of Mount Carmel as a lay person. Our charism is affectiveness or the ordering of the heart and mind towards God in contemplation.

[/quote]

While we may have many orders, we all agree on the fundamentals of the faith, especially Eucharist. Also contrast our couple of dozen orders with the 30,000 + Protestant faiths and it doesn’t seem like so many.

[quote=Liberian]Free Soul Hope,

Probably the best answer is that “one size does not fit all.” The different groups emphasize different sorts of spirituality and lifestyles–working with the poor, working with the sick, quietly contemplating Jesus, preaching overseas, and so on–and appeal to people of different temperaments.

• Liberian
    [/quote]

I have seen it described as emphasizing different aspects of the life of Christ.

[quote=freesoulhope]good anwser! why was there a program on tv about opus daus being to extreem in there worship? there where also priests in the church that didnt seem to agree with some of its works. did you see that program?
[/quote]

Free Soul Hope,

Thank you!

Why was there a program on TV about Opus Dei being too extreme in their worship? Possibly because the secularists in the television networks don’t know what “extreme worship” is.

I don’t have a TV set, so no, I didn’t see the program. I must confess to a deep distrust of anything I hear or see on television about the Catholic Church.

• Liberian

closed #12

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.