The Catholic Church View Today

Hello,

I have recently returned to the Catholic Church and I read an article quoting Pope Francis today. Below are some of the points which the author said were quotes from Pope Francis. Some of the words I find very refreshing, but some sound so different from the view of the Catholic Church that I grew up in. Is this really the view of the Catholic Church today?

I would be grateful for opinions of others. Thank you.

The Third Vatican Council concluded today with Pope Francis announcing:

• We must recognize that religious truth evolves and changes. Truth is not absolute or set in stone.

• The church no longer believes in a literal hell where people suffer. This doctrine is incompatible with the infinite love of God. God is not a judge but a friend and a lover of humanity. God seeks not to condemn but only to embrace. Like the fable of Adam and Eve, we see hell as a literary device. Hell is merely a metaphor for the isolated soul, which like all souls ultimately will be united in love with God.

• All religions are true, because they are true in the hearts of all those who believe in them. Whether we worship at a church, a synagogue, a mosque or a mandir, it does not matter. Whether we call God, Jesus, Adonai, Allah or Krishna, we all worship the same God of love. This truth is self-evident to all who have love and humility in their hearts!

• The Bible is a beautiful holy book, but like all great and ancient works, some passages are outdated.

Source or it didn’t happen…

The article you read is from a satirical website. It’s the exact opposite of what the Church teaches. I suggest you check out the books Rediscover Catholicism: A Spiritual Guide to Living with Passion & Purpose by Matthew Kelly or Catholicism for Dummies by Father John Trigilio Jr. to learn more about Church’s teachings.

Hello,

Thanks for your responses.

The article was from Diversity Chronicles dated 5th December 2013, and I have just researched it and it is listed on Snopes as being fake and from a satirical blog.

Please accept my apologies. I feel very foolish posting this.

I thought that this sounded very different from the Catholic Church that I know and grew up in.

Just a good reminder to me that you can’t believe everything that you read on the Internet.

God bless.

No worries. That is what this website is for, to answer questions. A congressman I respect very much recently posted a satirical article from the Onion.com on his FaceBook account expressing outrage about a fake story. It happens to the best of us. :smiley:

Thanks jmr_1985
It is good to have this forum to ask questions and to be able to so quickly receive responses.
I really appreciate your feedback.

=Melrose88;11527256]Hello,

I have recently returned to the Catholic Church and I read an article quoting Pope Francis today. Below are some of the points which the author said were quotes from Pope Francis. Some of the words I find very refreshing, but some sound so different from the view of the Catholic Church that I grew up in. Is this really the view of the Catholic Church today?

I would be grateful for opinions of others. Thank you.

I have followed our New Pope very closely. Nearly all that I find in the secular press is TRASH, not truth. Their desires, not facts:eek:

The Third Vatican Council concluded today with Pope Francis announcing:

• We must recognize that religious truth evolves and changes. Truth is not absolute or set in stone.

1st THERE IS NO such thing as the 3td Vatican Council

The comment itself is a falsehood: Catholic Dogma and Doctrine are NOT changable. PERIOD. Our Understanding MIGHT change [rarely] BUT NEVER the defined Teaching.

The church no longer believes in a literal hell where people suffer. This doctrine is incompatible with the infinite love of God. God is not a judge but a friend and a lover of humanity. God seeks not to condemn but only to embrace. Like the fable of Adam and Eve, we see hell as a literary device. Hell is merely a metaphor for the isolated soul, which like all souls ultimately will be united in love with God.

Trash-talk.

It IS God’s Divine and Perfect Justice that not only make them a VERY real possibility; BUT an essential FACT. BECAUSE IT IS MAN HIMSELF WHO CHOOSES ONE OVER THE OTHER. God “only” confirms mans life choices.

All religions are true, because they are true in the hearts of all those who believe in them. Whether we worship at a church, a synagogue, a mosque or a mandir, it does not matter. Whether we call God, Jesus, Adonai, Allah or Krishna, we all worship the same God of love. This truth is self-evident to all who have love and humility in their hearts!

NEVER EVER has God, or His CC taught anything except:
One TRUE God [Triune]

Can and DOES HAVE just one True set of faith beliefs

& and ONLY One Chosen people Exo.6:7; Mt. 16:18-19; Mt. 28:149-20 Eph. 4:4-8

The Bible is a beautiful holy book, but like all great and ancient works, some passages are outdated.

When you’re SPECIFIC, I will be Specific:thumbsup:

And a wee-bit of advice; you would do well to ACTUALLY LEARN THE FAITH you claim to have:) I CAN help you here so contact me if you’re interested.

God Bless you!
Patrick [PJM]

It seems like most of the news articles posted on this site are from fake news websites and not posted by trolls.

=arnoldoe;11527648]It seems like most of the news articles posted on this site are from fake news websites and not posted by trolls.

AGREED, I was playing “nice”:smiley:

So… knowing that it was a satire, why write a point-by-point rebuttal? :hmmm: :shrug:

There is no Vatican III. Its just a hoax.
If you click disclaimer on the article this is what comes up:

**The original content on this blog is largely satirical.

“I ceased in the year 1764 to believe that one can convince one’s opponents with arguments printed in books. It is not to do that, therefore, that I have taken up my pen, but merely so as to annoy them, and to bestow strength and courage on those on our own side, and to make it known to the others that they have not convinced us.” – Georg Christoph Lichtenberg.

It is in the spirit of the above quote that I write. Who am I you may ask? My name is Erik Thorson. I created this blog for my own personal amusement.

Copyright © 2013 Diversity Chronicle All Rights Reserved.**

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h244/corona_stellarum/Smilies/QATC.gif

For a regular overview of what His Holiness Pope Francis actually has said I can suggest our thread Sticky: [Akin]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.