The Catholic Roots of Obama’s Activism

By the time of that session in the spring of 1987, Mr. Obama — himself not Catholic — was already well known in Chicago’s black Catholic circles. He had arrived two years earlier to fill an organizing position paid for by a church grant, and had spent his first months here surrounded by Catholic pastors and congregations. In this often overlooked period of the president’s life, he had a desk in a South Side parish and became steeped in the social justice wing of the church, which played a powerful role in his political formation.

nytimes.com/2014/03/23/us/the-catholic-roots-of-obamas-activism.html?_r=0

Pity he took a cafeteria approach to it all. :shrug:

Meh, no ones perfect. Atleast he learned some stuff while working for a Catholic Parish

Did he though? I find it rather questionable.

Like the best spot to twist the knife? If you need a source, I’ll offer my back as exhibit A…Catholic Hospital management

But the Vatican — aware that Mr. Obama has far more to gain from the encounter than the pope does, and wary of being used for American political consumption — warns that this will hardly be like the 1982 meeting at which President Ronald Reagan and Pope John Paul II agreed to fight Communism in Eastern Europe.

“We’re not in the old days of the great alliance,” said a senior Vatican official who was granted anonymity to speak frankly about the mind-set inside the Holy See.

http://www.lcrawfords-manymansions.com/Pope%20John%20Paul%20ll...RIP/Pope_Reagan.jpg http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTvHYFJu_XZyed97p6VcBjJxSFrszvukZ_M8ynDKZCjvPweZjWoFA

Same moment … statue is in Gdansk, Poland. Where John Paul II and Ronald Reagan supported the Solidarity Movement’s strike under Lech Walesa that some perceive to have been the first crack in the Iron Curtain prior to its fall.

It would be good drama if Obama wore the robes he had on when Notre Dame awarded him an honorary doctorate. :rolleyes: Then any picture with Francis, who seems always to smile, might seem like an endorsement to the low information Catholics who have supported Obama in his past two campaigns. :sad_yes: :ouch:

Note to Vatican media office: Seriously scrutinize your English language version of what you publish this time. His Holiness doesn’t need to be backtracking to explain another spurious media controversy due to poorly (or deviously) selected language rife with political buzzwords that recast what really happens. :onpatrol:

Regarding the vintage picture of the POTUS … is it my OLD eyes … or is he getting whiter?

http://static01.nyt.com/images/2014/03/23/us/jpCATHOLIC1/jpCATHOLIC1-master180.jpg http://rollingout.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/obama-nod.jpg

Maybe it’s the tie and the conservative trappings or the lights in the hall?

Here’s hoping his visit with the Pontiff will do us all some good. I winced when PJII welcomed Gorbachev to the Vatican … but then, later, look how things worked out.

We pray each day at masses for our leaders (Church and State) … perhaps its time for some of those to come to fruit. I can think of some things that could be better actually. :sad_yes:

Unfortunately, anything Obama learned at a Chicago parish at that time was likely to have already been filtered through Communism.

If Obama is a communist, he certainly is doing a rubbish job at it

He’s not a Communist. However, anti-Communism doesn’t isolate you from all the other horrid ideologies in this world of ours. He’s if anything a radical liberal in the old sense of the term.

He’s to a large extent representative of what’s wrong with the American left, with none of the upsides.

Catholic roots? Ioseph Vissarionovich Dzhugashvili had Catholic roots as a seminarian. And he bragged that he could top Hitler in outfoxing the Church because of said “roots.” Then he changed his name to Ioseph Stalin, “Joe Steel,” and starved a few million Ukranian Catholic farmers. Meanwhile, back in Ukraine, his legacy lives on in Vlad the Impaler Putin. Our Lady of the Rosary with her Fatima appearances may well say, “I TOLD YOU SO!”

Hillary Clinton’s campaign noted that the name-changing Barack Obama was an attorney for Chicago landlords, the most notorious being an esteemed reverend who threw out his tenants in subzero weather rather than fix the furnace. The city of Chicago and the state of Illinois prosecuted said reverend, hoping to ban him from ever owning and renting out property in the city and/or state. Barry got him off with a $50 fine. Looks like this poor little rich kid’s grandma’s banking roots overrode his Catholic roots.

americanthinker.com/blog/2012/09/the_obama_you_dont_know.html

:rolleyes:

My guess here is that this is a PR-offensive from the White House. . . perhaps in anticipation of upcoming Catholic repression.

A PR offensive to make Pro Choice catholics feel better about supporting abortion

As sad as it seems, its quite possible that Obama could have well been influenced by the left-wing “social justice” types in the Catholic church who seem to view the main goal of the Catholic faith as implementing pseudo-Marxist policies. Seemingly, in this left-wing CAtholic view, pamphlets, meetings, rallies, organizing, and political action, etc. take precedence over sacraments, prayer and charity. When this happens, then the faith has been replaced by leftist secular politics. Salvation is heaven replaced by the desire to create a heaven on earth.

Ishii

I wonder if the infamous chicago priest father michael pfleger was in chicago at the same time. I believe there is a video of father pfleger speaking at the church obama attended.
Pfleger was anti hillary clinton.
I read valerie jarrett was responsible for getting the obamas in the correct social circles in chicago. Sad to think his roots of social activism have ties to the catholic faith.

But let us be careful. Much of what even Alinsky did, in organizing some disenfranchised sectors of the Church here and abroad, is not objectionable to the social teaching of Holy Mother Church. The Church my no means opposes pamphlets, meetings, rallies, organizing or political action, only that sacraments, prayer and charity be also included. But sometimes people on the Right forget that, perhaps because some malicious persons, or some ignorant persons (like Obama) came to hijack some of these movements.

The Church does not only desire for us to seek heaven and pay no attention in ensuring that the here and now is not as just as humanly possible. We must be careful not to impugn any of the teachings of Holy Mother Church.

Liberation theology, in other words. :thumbsup:

Or the condemned variety, anyway. It is funny, though, given that variation is rejected even by many of those who originated it. Yet so many persons seem to be still living in the 1970s.

Thank you for the clarification, Cojuanco. Of course, the pamphlets, rallies, etc. are not on an equal footing with the sacraments, prayer, etc. by any means.

Ishii

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.