The Catholic Study Bible

I’m planning on buying the Catholic Study Bible based on the NABRE and wanted to know what you guys think about it. Does anybody here in the forum own one?

amazon.com/Catholic-Study-Bible-Donald-Senior/dp/019529775X/ref=sr_sp-atf_title_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1393705209&sr=8-1&keywords=catholic+study+bible+hardcover

Hi.

I don’t own the exact version of yours, but I do own the NAB Personal Study Bible amazon.com/Catholic-Bible-Personal-Study-Edition/dp/0195284054/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1393710536&sr=8-3&keywords=catholic+study+bible+personal I don’t know if it’s NAB-RE or not.

In the introduction it says how it has tried to give a literal, but not too literal, translation of the scripture, so it isn’t dynamic equivalence. The text is well-spaced and easy to read and in my version there are notes at the bottom of the page which give context or some other description of various verses. Some of the well-known Biblicaal phrases which are known using KJV 'such as ‘O ye of little faith’ is updated to ‘O you of little faith’ which loses some of the dignity of the KJV but is much more understandable. I’m not a great expert on Bibles but I find this bible easy to read and to understand. Not sure how much this has helped you :confused:

I like it, but I like my other 18 versions, too! Every one of them!

It all depends on what you are looking for in a study bible. If you want one with a well laid out, readable text, along with a lot of academic and historical essays, I’d go with the one you linked to. It also has a concordance, listing of Mass readings, and plenty of maps and charts. The Catholic Study bible is also really well made, so it will last you a life time. I own and regularly use the bonded leather edition.

If you want an NABRE that is a bit more devotional, more of a started study Bible I highly recommend the Little Rock Catholic Study Bible NABRE. catholicbiblesblog.com/2012/04/review-little-rock-catholic-study-bible.html

It’s an NABRE with a lot of articles. It’s probably the best NABRE there is, which isn’t saying much. You might think about saving your money and getting a Saint Joseph’s Edition of the NABRE. They are better made, don’t have bleed trough and present the NABRE almost as well. You can get them for anywhere from $5-50.

Thanks for your responses. So, what’s the difference between the Study bible that I mentioned and the Jerusalem Bible? I seriously want to start studyig the bible and would like to know what is best for me.

Thanks

Well, the Jerusalem Bible is mostly out of print these days, certainly the edition with the many study notes. If you are looking for a study bible, you want to make sure one is labelled as such. A study bible will have not only the text, but study notes, cross references, maps, charts, and essays that help the reader to come to a greater understanding of the text and the times in which it was I written. The goal, of course, is to comes to a great knowledge and love of Jesus Christ.

There are a number of good options out there, particularly for a beginner:

Little Rock Catholic Study Bible
The Catholic Study Bible. (Oxford)
The Catholic Bible: Personal Study Edition (Oxford)
Ignatius Catholic Study Bible (Ignatius)

I find the New Jerusalem Bible, or Better yet, the Original Jerusalem Bible least offensive if you consider yourself conservative in theological issues in interpretation.

The Jerusalem Bibles are worthy for their notes, but if you want a study bible stay away from the reader’s editions which just contain the Bible Text.

The Haydock Bible is probably the best Catholic study Bible out there but it is a large book and at least $100. It used the Douay Version which is sort of like reading King James style early modern english.

All are readily available @ ebay.

The NVSV is probably the best modern version around, and if you want modern scholarship that is not offensive to the Catholic Faith, The New Harper Collins Study Bible and even better The New Interpreter’s Study Bible are world class.

I’m confused about the catholic interpretation of the bible, I thought that interpretation was the same for everyone in the catholic church. For instance, I read that the St. Jerome Biblical Commentary written by Raymond E. Brown, a catholic priest, is controversial due to its liberal interpretation and that it says that some parts of the bible are not true. Any comments on this?

Thanks

Fr Brown was not infallible. He was recognized as one of the preeminent biblical scholars of the 20t century, by both Catholics and Protestants. He was also a member of the pontifical biblical commission. But again, it doesn’t mean everything he wrote was correct. We should always read with a discerning eye.

St. Augustine says that the purpose of studying scripture is to increase your faith, hope, and love. He further states that if such study has not increased your faith, hope, and love, then you haven’t understood what you read.

Personally I prefer a more traditional study Bible. The NAB notes and introductions are very untraditional and traditional minded Catholics usually have a distaste for it. For a great study Bible for a great price I highly recommend the Ignatius Study Bible. Right now only the New Testament is in a large volume whereas some of the Old testament has been published. For a more pricey Study Bible you cannot go wrong with the Navarre Bible. The Haydock Bible is also top notch but modern readers might find the catena type of notes to be awkward, though personally I love it. If you want a good very traditional study Bible on the four Gospels then I recommend the New Douay Rheims Bible that I published which is on Amazon, by John Literal. It has all the great footnotes and introductions of the original Douay Rheims of 1609.

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Wait :hmmm:

I have 18 versions too… :o

:smiley:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.