"The Catholicism Project" to be aired on PBS Chicago in Fall 2011!

Hey Everyone,

I just wanted to let you guys know some exciting updates I uncovered last night concerning Fr. Barron's (from Wordonfire.com) series "Catholicism"

In May of 2011 it was announced that PBS Chicago will be broadcasting the first four episode's of "Catholicism" and be distributing them nationwide (maybe EWTN?:shrug:)!

The "Catholicism" study guide and DVD Set are now available to be pre-ordered through here:

wordonfire.org/WOF-Store/Catholicism/Catholicism-DVD-Box-Set.aspx

The DVD Box set is to be released in early August 2011!

Let us pray that PBS will air all ten episodes and distribute them to the right other networks (EWTN anyone?) and that the DVD set will soon be made available through regular retail!

God Bless!

For the official announcment by Fr. Barron click here:

youtube.com/watch?v=QE7FtNu9Qdw&feature=channel_video_title

Yay!

Its a ten part series, and WTTW has committed to airing four of the first five episodes, and making those four available nationwide.

The four episodes are in bold letters:

I. Amazed and Afraid – The Revelation of God Become Man
II. Happy are We – The Teachings of Jesus
III. That Which Nothing Greater can be Thought – The Ineffable Mystery of God
IV. **Our Tainted Nature’s Solitary Boast – Mary, the Mother of God **
V. **The Indispensable Men: Peter, Paul and the Missionary Adventure **
VI. A Body Both Suffering and Glorious – The Mystical Union of Christ and the Church
VII. Word Made Flesh, True Bread of Heaven – The Mystery of the Church’s Sacrament and Worship
VIII. A Vast Company of Witnesses – The Communion of Saints
IX. The Fire of His Love – Prayer and the Life of the Spirit
X. World without End – The Last Things
wttw.com/main.taf?p=83,1

The press release can be read either here
wordonfire.org/News/WTTW-PRESENTS-US-BROADCAST-PREMIERE-OF-CATHOLICISM.aspx (more readable, in my opinion)

or here
wttw.com/main.taf?p=7,4,1,1,1,74

A description of each episode is here:
wordonfire.org/The-Catholicism-Project/Episodes-New.aspx

Really looking forward to this!!!

So is this not the regular PBS station on most Cable TV's?

People outside the WTTW viewing area may want to lobby their local PBS station to pick up the series, or at least the four episodes which WTTW will distribute.

No, WTTW is the Chicago PBS affiliate and would only be carried by Chicago area cable companies.

My cable company carries our local PBS affiliate (which is based in Iowa City and offers programming different from WTTW.

I really hope it plays around me, if so guess what my Catechism class is getting assigned for homework. :)

Why would a PBS affiliate be broadcasting something favorable to Catholicism, or which put the faith in a positive light? Here in Massachusetts, if a PBS station did something like that, it would no doubt cost them their PBS affiliation as well as most of their viewers.

I suspect it has less to do with PBS, than the audience of each PBS affiliate. Each station airs what it thinks its audience will appreciate and support. Perhaps viewers in Chicago are receptive to religious programming?

For a few months, Fr. Barron had a presence on Chicago television, with his Sunday morning Word on Fire program. This was broadcast over the air by WGN, and distributed nationally by the WGN America cable channel. So, perhaps WTTW officials were more inclined to gamble with Fr. Barron’s Catholicism series since he was familiar to the local audience? I dunno. :shrug:

Sadly, Word on Fire was discontinued earlier this year, apparently due to limited funding.
wordonfire.org/WOF-TV/WGN-Blog/January-2011/WGN-Sponsor-Page.aspx

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.