The Cause of Anti-Catholicism in America?

I was wondering if anyone could suggest a good book on the issue of Anti-Catholicism in America? You know, The History, The Roots, The Cause of it all. Some really in depth kind of stuff. I figure when I run up against it I should have at least a little more information beyond the superficial. Please and Thank you. And God Bless.

[quote=Montie Claunch]I was wondering if anyone could suggest a good book on the issue of Anti-Catholicism in America? You know, The History, The Roots, The Cause of it all. Some really in depth kind of stuff. I figure when I run up against it I should have at least a little more information beyond the superficial. Please and Thank you. And God Bless.
[/quote]

Part of it, is because America has never experience the heritage of the Catholic faith the way Europe did. Europe at one time was all Catholic. And America is a predominantly Protestant country.

Also, most of the founding fathers were heavy into Elightenment philosphy, which is anti-Catholic at its core.

[quote=Montie Claunch]I was wondering if anyone could suggest a good book on the issue of Anti-Catholicism in America? You know, The History, The Roots, The Cause of it all. Some really in depth kind of stuff. I figure when I run up against it I should have at least a little more information beyond the superficial. Please and Thank you. And God Bless.
[/quote]

Maybe it’s ***some *** of the Catholics ,themselves, who cause anti-Catholicism?

I certainly feel a bit anti Catholic after reading a post about the devil being The Reformation.

There was a HUGE amount of anti-Catholicism in Europe. 100-year wars. 30-year wars. Refugees to America.

The colonists brought their hundreds of years of prejudice with them and it grew on fertile grounds along with the carryover of “national” competition: France vs. Spain vs. England. Later, vs. Russia.

And then you had the German immigrants who settled in a band from Texas to Illinois. And Polish immigrants who settled in Pennsylvania. And Swedes who settled in Minnesota. And etc.

Is there any wonder why and where the anti-Catholicism in America came about? It’s a wonder, there is so little of it.

You might try The New Anti-Catholicism: The Last Acceptable Prejudice by Phillip Jenkins. I read it and it seems to provide a pretty balanced treatment, some history and some contemporary views on the issue. I thought it was a good read.

I didn’t see it at Catholic Answers, but you can find it in Borders/Barnes & Noble, or on Amazon HERE.

I don’t know if it is out in soft-cover yet.

[quote=Genesis315]Also, most of the founding fathers were heavy into Elightenment philosphy, which is anti-Catholic at its core.
[/quote]

Actually, the roots of the 17th century intellectual movement known as “the Enlightenment” were in the works of the Renaissance Italian Humanists, most of whom were practicing Catholics.

Ideas have consequences, to think that “The Enlightenment” sprung up from untilled ground is wrong. For more on this subject I recommend “How Shall We Then Live?” by Francis Schaeffer.

Peace to you,
Richard

[quote=Lilyofthevalley]Maybe it’s ***some ***of the Catholics ,themselves, who cause anti-Catholicism?

I certainly feel a bit anti Catholic after reading a post about the devil being The Reformation.
[/quote]

Do you realize that the Protostant Reformation caused wars and deaths for hundreds of years across Europe. Catholics and Protestants are still killing each other in Ireland. Aside from the wars look at all the confusion and bickering it has caused. BTW, what denomonation are you?

[quote=OhioBob]You might try The New Anti-Catholicism: The Last Acceptable Prejudice by Phillip Jenkins. I read it and it seems to provide a pretty balanced treatment, some history and some contemporary views on the issue. I thought it was a good read.

I didn’t see it at Catholic Answers, but you can find it in Borders/Barnes & Noble, or on Amazon HERE.

[/quote]

Here is the paperback link at Amazon:
**The New Anti-Catholicism : The Last Acceptable Prejudice **
Jenkins is Anglican so detractors to the book cannot say he is biased towards the Catholic Church. He has been on Catholic Answers Live before.

PF

In addition to the fact that America was founded by and large by Protestants, there was also the 19th and early-20th century immigration by Irish, Italians, Poles and other Catholic populations. These groups were felt to be threatening the position of the “real” Americans, that is, the ones that had arrived a couple of generations years earlier. The reaction by some (many?) was both racism (no Irish need apply) and anti-Catholicism.

ok, here’s my 2 cents worth…

if you are talking strictly the causes here in the United States…

i think it’s mostly because the early Catholic immigrants were
thought of as people comming to steal jobs from people born
here because they would take most any job at whatever money
they could earn…

remember, most of the ‘Catholic’ immigrants were Irish, Italian,
and Latino… they mostly ended up doing the hardest jobs for
the least reward… but people feared they’d ‘steal away’ all
the jobs…

i realize this isn’t the only thing that caused the distrust and
hatred… but, it definately was a contributing factor… just as
the fact that the Jews were believed to control all the money,
made them hated…

again… it’s about 2 cents worth… at the most… lol

:slight_smile:

[quote=OhioBob]You might try The New Anti-Catholicism: The Last Acceptable Prejudice by Phillip Jenkins. I read it and it seems to provide a pretty balanced treatment, some history and some contemporary views on the issue. I thought it was a good read.

[/quote]

Gee, that’s funny! I have a book called Anti-Catholicism in America: The Last Acceptable Predjudice! It’s by Mark S. Massa, S.J.

[quote=RCCDefender]Gee, that’s funny! I have a book called Anti-Catholicism in America: The Last Acceptable Predjudice! It’s by Mark S. Massa, S.J.
[/quote]

Only so many original titles out there I guess. Apparently publishers get lazy too. :wink:

[quote=bones_IV]And America is a predominantly Protestant country.
[/quote]

NO WAY!!!:crying::crying::crying::crying:

That’s a bummer. It needs to be more Catholic.:yup:

[quote=Lilyofthevalley]Maybe it’s ***some *** of the Catholics ,themselves, who cause anti-Catholicism?

[/quote]

Excuse me?

I’m sorry to say but perhaps a lot of people do not know the FULLNESS of Truth within the CC, therefore, if ONLY THEY KNEW the Truths within the CC only then would they understand. But without that understanding and an opened heart, they just don’t get it.

And I’m a former Protestant right there! No doubt I desire to be an Apologist!

[quote=Paris Blues]Excuse me?

I’m sorry to say but perhaps a lot of people do not know the FULLNESS of Truth within the CC, therefore, if ONLY THEY KNEW the Truths within the CC only then would they understand. But without that understanding and an opened heart, they just don’t get it.

And I’m a former Protestant right there! No doubt I desire to be an Apologist!
[/quote]

I’d say millions of people know what the Catholic church teaches. They do know it. However, they have not chosen to be Catholics. There must be something more involved.

[quote=Ortho]I’d say millions of people know what the Catholic church teaches. They do know it. However, they have not chosen to be Catholics. There must be something more involved.
[/quote]

True, that millions may know what the Church teaches but not everybody…I know some people who do NOT know the teachings of the Church but is not interested in what the Church teachings anyway.

Yes, there must be something else involved…:hmmm:

[quote=Paris Blues]NO WAY!!!:crying::crying::crying::crying:
[/quote]

:bigyikes: No kidding.

[quote=Paris Blues]That’s a bummer. It needs to be more Catholic.:yup:
[/quote]

:blessyou:

[quote=WanderAimlessly]Here is the paperback link at Amazon:
**The New Anti-Catholicism : The Last Acceptable Prejudice **
Jenkins is Anglican so detractors to the book cannot say he is biased towards the Catholic Church. He has been on Catholic Answers Live before.

PF
[/quote]

I’ve heard him speak. He’s excellent. He’s also (in my opinion) quite correct.

Blessings,

A tangential read would be **THE DECLINE AND FALL OF THE CATHOLIC CHURCH IN AMERICA by David Carlin

In this book he postulates that one of the reasons for the decline in the Catholic Church in America is the reduction of anti-Catholicism. Widespread prejudice against Catholics in previous decades created an insular community. With the decline in overt anti-Catholicism, most Catholics felt a need for acceptance and wanted a protestant (and later secular) lifestyle.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.