The CC put the NT together or did I misunderstand>

Back during Lent, I was watching Catholic Compass one time with Fr. Casey or something and he was talking about how the CC is the Pillar of Fire, Truth, etc. and how no one can destory the Work of God, Jesus promised He would also guide His Church, you guys saw that one right? Another thing he said, I believe was he said that the Bibl e was put together by the CC?? If I heard right, or was it the NT he was talking about? I could’ve sworn I heard him say that.

[quote=Paris Blues]Back during Lent, I was watching Catholic Compass one time with Fr. Casey or something and he was talking about how the CC is the Pillar of Fire, Truth, etc. and how no one can destory the Work of God, Jesus promised He would also guide His Church, you guys saw that one right? Another thing he said, I believe was he said that the Bibl e was put together by the CC?? If I heard right, or was it the NT he was talking about? I could’ve sworn I heard him say that.
[/quote]

The Catholic Church did put the bible together, they chose which books should be in the bible. It took 400 years though of debate, but was ultimately decided in the Councils of Carthage and Hippo.

well said Tom, you posted that the second i hit reply http://forums.catholic.com/images/icons/icon10.gifand like tom said, yupp, the CC made, no, not made, put together (the books were already written, the CC just decided which were inspired and were fit to be part of the bible) the bible, so technically, any protestant who lives by the bible alone, follows a Catholic “invention”, therefore putting their trust into the magesterum of the CC, who they claim has no place on earth… hmm… how would they have made the bible without them?:rolleyes: s’funny how no protestants look at it that way… i guess deep down inside, they’re all Catholic, like it or not…http://forums.catholic.com/images/icons/icon7.gif… and yes, we do claim to be the the Pillar and Foundation of Truth… something no other church can claim

well said Tom, you posted that the second i hit reply http://forums.catholic.com/images/icons/icon10.gifand like tom said, yupp, the CC made, no, not made, put together (the books were already written, the CC just decided which were inspired and were fit to be part of the bible) the bible, so technically, any protestant who lives by the bible alone, follows a Catholic “invention”, therefore putting their trust into the magesterum of the CC, who they claim has no place on earth… hmm… how would they have made the bible without them?:rolleyes: s’funny how no protestants look at it that way… i guess deep down inside, they’re all Catholic, like it or not…http://forums.catholic.com/images/icons/icon7.gif

[quote=Catholic Tom]The Catholic Church did put the bible together, they chose which books should be in the bible. It took 400 years though of debate, but was ultimately decided in the Councils of Carthage and Hippo.
[/quote]

That’s what I thought. I explained to people why I believe what I believe (Catholic faith) and told them that the CC put the Bible together so that’s why the answers are in the CC and all they gave me was no, the CC didn’t put it together, and gave me all this history about how it was put together by David, apostles, etc. etc. this and that, that and this and yada yada yada…I just wanted to clarify this.

[quote=Paris Blues]That’s what I thought. I explained to people why I believe what I believe (Catholic faith) and told them that the CC put the Bible together so that’s why the answers are in the CC and all they gave me was no, the CC didn’t put it together, and gave me all this history about how it was put together by David, apostles, etc. etc. this and that, that and this and yada yada yada…I just wanted to clarify this.
[/quote]

Paris, Keep asking questions on this forum and use Catholic Answers. I am learning all the time and by no means am I an expert. In fact, I have so much to learn about the faith I was raised in. Once you understand and accept the authority of the Catholic Church for Christians, and really believe in the Real Presence, everything else falls into place…and yes, CC has all the answers thanks to 2000 years of experience :wink:

Here is the puzzle…

Many nonCatholics will NOT accept any other authority other than the Bible.

But, little do they know … is that they ARE accepting Catholic authority when they accept the Bible as we know it.

The authority of the Catholic Church compiled the “set cannon.” Someone had to. There is no “Table of Contents” or “instructions” that come with all those gospels, epistles, letter, etc.

How do we know that 1st Peter is inspired? Where does it state that? How do we know that the gospel of James should not be a part of “inspired cannon?” We don’t know… because there is nothing to guide us for the answer…

… accept one thing: Church authority

I remember Hank ‘Hanagraf’ (I’m not sure how you spell it.) a.k.a. “The bilbe answer man.” Try and explain this away several times.

He argued that the books of the bible make themselves known to be part of scripture by their content. i.e. Only the books that agree with each other could be included therefore we have these books.

Though the Church may have settled on these books, anyone could have come up with the same set of writings…

Or something to that affect.

Chuck

I have heard the Bible Answer Man arguement before about how the books are self attesting. They prove themselves and since they quote each other they all attest to each others authenticity as the Word of God.
That arguement doesn’t really stand up if you look at books like 2 and 3 John.

Did they just grab all the books that matched up with each other? Who was it, who assembled all these books according to this criteria? Where in history does it attest to this version of history?

The Bible Answer Man theory works if you just accept the answer without looking into it. That is what I kinda noticed before I looked into the Catholic Church more deeply.

Read Where We Got the Bible by Henry C. Graham.
CA sells it. It will answer all your questions.

ALso read: “By What Authority: An Evangelical discovers Catholic Tradition”

amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0879738510/qid=1112729696/sr=8-1/ref=pd_csp_1/104-3326495-5743957?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

anyone wanna give a quick and basic history of how the bible was put together? which councils did what, what years, things like that… links work too… oh, and the years that the different letters, gospels, etc were written is a useful asset

thanx

The problem with what the ‘bible man’ says about the books being self attesting, is that the Book of Mormon is also, as is the Qu’ran…so does he ALSO think these are the Holy word of God? If he doesn’t then he is picking and choosing, going against his own set of rules as to what is inspired and what is not.

Gracie

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.