The Chive - what should we do?

Has anyone else heard of or seen the website theChive? Several of my friends love this site, even saying they like the funny stuff, not the “girl posts.” But the cover shots of all the “girls posts” leave very little to the imagination–when you go to the main page, you basically see exactly what’s “hidden” behind the links–clicking on the links just brings up more of the same.

Is it true that, by visiting the website, we are implicitly supporting everything the site stands for? The people behind the Chive aren’t going to say “well, the traffic on our “funny” tab is up by a couple of people, but I noticed that those same people did not look at the “girl” threads. Perhaps we should put more funny stuff up and fewer girls?” It seems like, by participating in any part of the culture of the website, you are implicitly supporting the whole of it.

Is this too harsh? Should I encourage my friends to abstain from looking at the website at all? Am I being judgmental? Is it, in fact, possible to value a website for the good things while choosing not to look at the bad things? Am I underestimating other people? I become very angry, because in general the site encourages men to disrespect women, and it also (perhaps even worse) encourages women to offer themselves up to be disrespected–and enjoy it. I just don’t know what to do.

It’s really hard to figure out what to do in this world sometimes…

Never heard of it. Sounds to me a little like the guys who read Playboy for the articles, though!

I believe so.

Yes, that’s right.

[quote=The Buggiest;11484168Is this too harsh? Should I encourage my friends to abstain from looking at the website at all? Am I being judgmental? Is it, in fact, possible to value a website for the good things while choosing not to look at the bad things? Am I underestimating other people? I become very angry, because in general the site encourages men to disrespect women, and it also (perhaps even worse) encourages women to offer themselves up to be disrespected–and enjoy it. I just don’t know what to do.
]

No, it’s not too harsh.

Should you encourage friends to abstain from this website? If it’s got stuff that is not going to help us get into heaven, or could get us into hell, yes.

Are you being too judgemental? I don’t think so.

Underestimating other people?

I haven’t seen the site, and after what you said, don’t want to. I will take your word for it. If this site encourages people to treat others as sex objects, instead of as temples of the Holy Spirit that we are and children of God made in the divine image, best to steer clear and encourage others to do the same.
[/quote]

My sister has a philosophy that she tried her best to boycott what’s wrong. She says there might be a company which does all this wonderful good but is proabortion.

She says that despite all the good they might do, she will still try to boycott them for that one aspect, because she believes to support them gives them more money to do evil.

I think you answered your own questions in a way. If it seems to you that it degrades women and even promotes them in degrading themselves why even bother with it. Just from your post it is something I will never check out. Simply tell folks you find it to objectionable and choose not to look at it. Leave them to their own choices.

I visited that site for the first time ever today. I think I clicked a link from another page. One of those, “20 sports topics that will make you feel old” kind of things. I have a friend that also loves that site (although he does because of the girls). While there are MUCH worse things on the Internet, I would say that there are very few straight males who can view pages like that without some sort of lust coming upon him. I’d like to see how many guys can see images like that and not be tempted to click them for more. Either way there’s no reason to put yourself into unneeded temptation. It’s a site I will not be returning to.

Cricket-you’re right, I did answer my own questions. I’ve been told that I’m really heavy on truh and a little light on charity (mostly because I struggle with anger and impatience when I see or hear people profaning the very flesh that Christ took upon Himself to save us), so I’ve been trying to prayerfully check myself and my motives before I try to correct others. There’s a real balance, and unless I find it, I’m afraid I’ll do our Lord little good.

How can I inspire others to be countercultural without coming across holier-than-thou? Specifically, how can I point out the harm in frequenting this site without triggering my friends’ defenses?

Sometimes the best you can do is something like this: Admit to them you checked out the site and found it unacceptable as a Christian, or simply offensive because it promotes something like degradation of women, or exploitation of children. Listen to their position and let them know you understand how they feel but you won’t be viewing the site again nor recommending it to anyone. Then leave it be.

If it bothers you that much, don’t go there. How hard is that?

It’s not difficult, Sheep. It’s just difficult to figure out how much God asks me to do. If He’d rather I love and not say anything, I can do that. But if he’d rather I say something (in case others need to hear it), I want to do what He wants. I really do have trouble discerning sometimes what I should do (stay quiet and supportive or try to gently mention something). The problem is that I haven’t figured out how to GENTLY say things, and so I think I do more harm than good. I really should pray to the Holy Spirit to ask for guidance. If I am not sinning by merely setting an example without vocalizing all the time, than that would be a relief and something I could do.

Just worry about your own soul; let other people can worry about theirs. That’s what I do.

My parish priest said something like that in Confession last night. He said “people do stupid things, right? Jesus knew that, but He still said ‘I have come so that you might have joy.’ So we don’t need to be sad about it, we just need to trust Him.”

So, in case anybody else struggles with this (scrupulosity, maybe?) and needed to hear that, there it is.

Ah yes that scum site most writers online have blogs where they post their works too look into that might help you get the non scum content, plus some more legitiment sites may pool content and you could find it elsewhere

Thought I’d re-open this topic from a little different angle. Curious about y’alls thoughts. What about their charity site? chivecharities.org/ It seems they do a lot of good things for many people? What are your thoughts on supporting a charity that has a solid end goal but has iffy moral shenanigans on the side?

I didn’t look at the link, but why support their charity when there are countless Catholic charitable organizations in desperate need of our donations?

Are we thinking of the same site? I visited it a couple of years ago to see what it was about, and I thought it was news satire? Maybe it has changed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.