The Christian Church

I made a thread, similarly about this before, but it didn’t get much attention, so I started another.

What do you think needs to happen, in order for the Church to combine back to its original form and rid the Christian Church of all its schisms and heresies?

What do you think someone could do to contribute to this?

How could we make the religion of Christianity one again, like it was in the beginning, and how Jesus wanted it to be?

In all honesty, I doubt it will ever happen.

From the Catholic perspective, every other church would have to come into communion with the Pope, accept tradition as equal to scripture, and the authority of both the pope and the magisterium.

For the Orthodox in particular this would pose a problem. From their perspective We (Catholics) would have to abandon the doctrines of papal and magesterial infallability and accept that the Pope is another patriarch, not first.

The protestants of course will refuse a lot of both the Orthodox and Catholic doctrines, particularly the Marian dogmas (which I believe differ between the orthodox and catholic). In some cases either we or they would have to change our opinion on the requirement of baptism and oftentimes drop all sacrements all together (depending on the view of each church).

So say every other church did join the Catholic church. Full communion. Well what would happen is certain groups would break off and form their own churches because they didn’t agree with the doctrines and believe we’re forming the one world religion of Revalations (particularly the fundies).

If we all joined the orthodox, there would still be seperate churches started by protestants and the Catholic church would remain (Of course, I’m betting that there would be a large group of Orthodox would still be Orthodox if everyone joined the Catholic church).

In short; nothing would change. Within six months it would be exactly as it was before.

“God is greater than the human heart”

“It is impossible for man, but for God all things are possible.”

Jesus prayed that his followers be one, certainly, it is the way he wanted it, and his prayers are always answered by the Father.

Look up!:slight_smile: There is much to hope for. God can conquer the human heart. He can put together the Church the way it used to be.

I wish that the Church would be the way it was and the way it is supposed to be. I would feel more closer to the Orthodox and Protestants, if they would come back to communion with Rome.
Even though I know Jesus loves all, I feel so far away from my brothers and sisters in other churches.

The original Church was named Catholic no later than 107 A.D. The “Christian Church” is a Protestant denomination.

Probably earlier than that!

It is quite possible that the name “the Catholic Church” (Greek: katholikos ekklesia) developed from Acts 9:31 “the Church throughout all” (Greek: ekklesia kath olos).

What do you think needs to happen, in order for the Church to combine back to its original form and rid the Christian Church of all its schisms and heresies?

As soon as people started to think critically about Christ, Christians have differed. The idea that at the beginning there was one, unbroken church with no “heresies” is a myth**.** People believed and taught many things at the beginning: Adoptionism, Docetism, Montanism, Marcionism, different forms of Gnosticism, and Ebionism - just to name a few. You might say that early Christianity was far more diverse than our modern Christianity. Most Christians (with, perhaps, the exception of Jehova’s Witnesses and the LDS) have the exact same view of Christ’s divinity, the Trinity, the New Testament cannon, angels and demons, Christ’s teachings and thier effect on a Christian’s interpretation of Jewish tradition, among many other things. When it comes down to basics, the vast majority of Christians today agree on much more than the Christians of the first, second, third, and fourth century.

Furthermore, it should be noted that many of our Catholic beliefs were developed slowly over time. The exact defination of the Trinity, for instance, was a developed idea - partially forged out of a number of differing “heretical” beliefs. Even the specifics of the nature of Christ were slowly defined over the years.

Personally, I think this question could probably be re-phrased into “how can we convert everyone to Catholicism?” I suppose that’s a perfectly valid question for a true believer of Catholicism, but I might point out a contradiction in Church teaching on the subject. Take a look at the Vatican 2 documents Nostre Aetate and Lumen Gentium. We are to respect and appreciate othere religions. Personally, I don’t think converting all of Christianity to Catholicism is going to happen. Furthermore, I don’t really think that it should be a priority. There’s value to our differences, as the Bishops in Nostre Aetate point out. Having a multitude of religions is a good thing. We ought to learn to live with eachother, accept our differences, and work towards eliminating the real evils in our world (poverty? war?).

If all churches would become Baptist Churches then we would all be like the churches that were started immediately after Christ resurrection, the way that God intended His Church to be.

forever Baptist
allischalmers

Which of the more than 250 kinds of Baptist churches did God intend His church to be?

The first Baptist church appeared in 1607.

Protestantism in its thousands of expressions has divorced itself from history. The early church was Catholic.

" . . . where Jesus Christ is, there is the Catholic Church" St. Ignatius of Antioch, Letter to the Smyrnaeans, 107 A.D.

The Martyrdom of St. Polycarp, written 155/157, begins as follows:

“The Church of God, which resides as a stranger at Smyra, to the Church of God residing at Philomelium, and to all the communities of the holy and Catholic Church residing in any place . . .”

Polycarp and Ignatius sat at the feet of St. John the Apostle.

The beliefs of the early Christians were decidedly and definitely those of the Catholic Church.

Peace be with you, Katholikos

There were zero baptist churches until a few hundred years ago. What fantasyland are you living in?

All other churches will need to stop rebelling against the God given authority of the Pope and the Magisterium. When they can finally learn to submit themselves to the will of God, then we can be one.

Absent direct, divine intervention by God in the form of a miracle, I don’t think that the Churches will unite together prior to the end. It is true that we have more in common, than apart, but there are still too many differences in the nature of theology, culture and politics standing in the way. Moreover, I think that the orthodox Catholics on these boards would be among the first to admit that the Catholic Church won’t be the one making the changes.

I think God could make it happen in his mysterious ways. But it would require us letting go of it, having faith and praying for it.

Yeah, but let’s be honest here. Protestants will be exceedingly resistant to letting go of Protestant approachs and view of God and the Church. On the other hand, Catholics would not even accept the possibility of letting go of Catholic approaches to God and the Church.

We don’t have an approach. We are the Church founded by Christ on Peter and we have the fullness of truth.

But the people where called Christians in the Book of Acts. Thus “Christian church”.

I think the issue is that each of the groups sincerely believes they are correct in what they believe. They do not see themselves as rebelling, nor do they see a need to submit to the will of God as presented by the Catholic church. They sincerely believe they are following the will of God as they understand it.

Could it be that God has allowed all these denominations to ultimately show man his foolishness and man his need for utter dependence in Christ. Each group has their “checklist” of do’s & don’ts. But it’s not the checklist, it is Christ that needs to be our focus.

With the plethora of denominations, how is a man to know God’s truth other than by grace?

To answer the OP, only God’s grace can nudge somone’s heart toward Rome. What can you do? Pray that God’s will be done.

As someone who came to the realization that by refusing to join the Church I was rebelling against God’s will, they’ll have to wake up and admit they’re wrong, as I did.

Could it be that God has allowed all these denominations to ultimately show man his foolishness and man his need for utter dependence in Christ.

Or could it be that the the division caused by the reformation is the work of evil and God allows it because of free will? I know that the Bible warns against this kind of dissention, but Protestants apparently don’t listen. They divide it seems sometimes just for fun.

Each group has their “checklist” of do’s & don’ts. But it’s not the checklist, it is Christ that needs to be our focus.

I’ve never seen any church as focused on Christ and the Catholic Church.

With the plethora of denominations, how is a man to know God’s truth other than by grace?

We do know the truth by God’s grace, through the Catholic Church.

I rest my case.

1. The Pope must return to the position of primus inter pares and give up any arrogation of “supremacy”. This would include the repeal of the dogmas of the Immaculate Conception and Papal Infallibility.
  2. Sola Fide and Sola Scriptura must be accepted as permissible if debateable positions by both the Roman Church and the Churches of the East.

These two things would go a long way toward establishing a rapprochement.

OUCH!!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.