"The Church and pro-choice politicians can work together for social change."-Mario Cuomo

"Despite his stance on abortion, the Governor’s career was closely aligned with the Church’s social justice tradition

Cuomo’s relationship with the Church in the United States, particularly its bishops, was at times strained, especially over the issue of legalized abortion. At Notre Dame and elsewhere, Cuomo maintained that while he was personally opposed to abortion, he didn’t want to make it illegal in the United States.

I disagree with him on this. As I said during last year’s March for Life, because “progressives believe that society must continually extend its embrace to all persons, no matter who they are…protecting the lives of unborn children should be at the heart of the progressive agenda.”

And despite Pope Francis’s call last year to extend the conversation beyond abortion, same-sex marriage, and contraception, we should make no mistake: the Bishop of Rome opposes legalized abortion. As recently as Christmas Day, he said abortion kills children “before they ever see the light of day, deprived of the generous love of their parents and buried in the selfishness of a culture that does not love life.”

But Governor Cuomo’s pro-choice stance can’t be a single litmus test to measure his effectiveness as a Catholic politician. Clearly, his public service addressed many issues at the heart of the faith’s social justice tradition. In particular, he tried hard to transform the Democratic Party from a bourqeosis group concerned with the interests of social elites to a party genuinely concerned about the state of society, the struggles of working men and women, and the lives of the poor.

During the 1984 Democratic National Convention, Cuomo said that President Reagan’s trickle-down economics was reducing his “city shining on a hill” to a “Tale of Two Cities.”

“A shining city is perhaps all the President sees from the portico of the White House and the veranda of his ranch, where everyone seems to be doing well. But there’s another city; there’s another part to the shining the city; the part where some people can’t pay their mortgages, and most young people can’t afford one; where students can’t afford the education they need, and middle-class parents watch the dreams they hold for their children evaporate.”

Nearly 30 years later, Pope Francis offered the same critique:

“Some people continue to defend trickle-down theories which assume that economic growth, encouraged by a free market, will inevitably succeed in bringing about greater justice and inclusiveness in the world. This opinion, which has never been confirmed by the facts, expresses a crude and naïve trust in the goodness of those wielding economic power and in the sacralized workings of the prevailing economic system. Meanwhile, the excluded are still waiting.”

While Cuomo had a difficult relationship with New York Cardinal John O’Connor, Cuomo’s son and New York’s current governor Andrew Cuomo maintains a cordial relationship with New York Cardinal Timothy Dolan. But more remarkable is the relationship between Dolan and current New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio."

• Christoper Hale for TIME

time.com/3652656/mario-cuomo-abortion-catholic/

Sure reads like opinion and not news to me. He’s welcome to his opinion but I don’t agree with it at all.

I take no joy in the passing of Gov. Cuomo. But it’s sad to know that a courageous pro-life stand by Mario may have saved many lives. :o

We can pray that God had mercy on his soul. His life is nothing to celebrate. Mr. Cuomo made it his life’s work to normalize the killing of innocent children.

Amen.

I only wish people would stop calling abortion ‘choice.’

Every Catholic politician who touts the Cuomo view should be called out for their Pontus Pilate view on abortion - knowing it is wrong and still wont stop an innocent death from happening when they have the power to do so because they don’t want to expend their political capital. If you are going to be pushed around by “the crowd” then you are probably too weak hold political office.

I remember a cartoon of demons dragging a man down the slope to the fires. “We are not saying that you are a bad person. It is just that you made some bad choices.” :eek:

One of the things that continually amazes me is the ability of people to somehow believe that a man who cares nothing about killing the unborn could possibly care anything about them either.

Mario Cuomo helped to make excuses for pro-abortion Catholics, and helped to make his party into a synonym for the pro-abortion party while convincing Catholics that that was perfectly acceptable.

Cuomo put his politics before his faith. He now has had the opportunity to explain that choice to his maker.

Opinion piece by Christopher Hale a senior fellow at Catholics in Alliance for the Common Good and the co-founder of Millennial.

I’ll leave it open since it is of interest to the forum. Please do not disparage the deceased.

Thankfully, the Church has disagreed with Cuomo on this, and has been the strongest and most consistent adversary of the pro-choice movement that exists in the world today.

The pro-life lobby in the Catholic Church has determination, power, and truth on our side. Nobody, not Cuomo, not even bishop or pope, has the ability to stare down the pro-life Catholic lobby.

Amen to there not being a single litmus test and thanks for reminding me of the governor’s speech. I remember it. I believe he would have made a good President and God bless both him and Pope Francis for their words regarding the 2 worlds of haves and have nots, regarding the injustice and failure of trickle down economics, and on being champions for social justice. RIP Mario.

Which world are the aborted part of? What good is social justice for those who were denied the right to life?

That is hysterically funny, Joe. Hell will be full of “good people” apparently. :smiley:

I thought that that speech was demagoguery. GOVERNMENT cannot act as some Big Brother, curing problems from thousands of miles away that people are too incompetent to solve within their own families and in their communities. Meanwhile, 4000 babies per day were dying without a whimper from many Christian politicians. :eek:

Oh my! I can picture this caption under SO MANY people/politicians!

closed #18

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.