The Church as the Bride of Christ

Once again, Scott Hahn has blown me away. I was reading “A Father Who Keeps His Promises” (Wonderful Book!), and I came across his description as the Church as the Bride of Christ.

I’ve come to understand the Church’s role as the Bride of Christ in Jesus’ parables, in Revelations (… the wedding supper of the Lamb…), and Christ’s call for husband’s to love their wives, as I have loved the Church. But in his book Scott Hahn just filled in a few gaps in my appreciation. Read the following and see what I mean.

The Church as the New Eve
From Adam’s side came forth one who was both body and bride: Eve, formed from his body, was bone of his bone, flesh of his flesh. Joined to him in marriage, she became one body with him, his body, as he became her body. Similarly, from the side of Christ pierced by a lance came the Church. “The origin and growth of the Church are symbolized by the blood and water which flowed from the open side of the crucified Jesus.” Joined in nuptials to Him, she who received life from His side became also His Body. Just as Eve came from Adam and was united with him as one body, so the Church comes from Christ and is united to him as one body, His Body. The Church is Christ’s Body, and as such is His Bride. The Church is Christ’s Bride, and as such is His Body. This is a remarkable vision - Adam and Eve, Christ and the Church.*

NotWorthy

I agree with you…that is a great little book. Insights like the one you’ve quoted are very helpful in understanding and appreciating how the term “bride” is used in scripture.

I agree! The Catholic Church reminds me of a beautful painting that only gets more beautiful the more you study it. I wish I could come up with the appropriate analogy. You peel back a layer of the Church, and find an even more beautiful layer underneath.

Maybe Shrek’s analysis of Ogres works. “Ogres are like onions: They’ve got layers!”

NotWorthy

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.