The Church discipline concerning the free-masons

In short, if I or another discovers will full certainty that a Deacon, Priest or Bishop in our local community is a free-mason what do we do? Obviously the Church has clearly opposed masonry since it’s birth in 1717. So what steps or methods do I take to inform the Church that a mason has infiltrated it?

The Church did not formally oppose Freemasonry until 1738. Which is double-four-time for the Church.

So what steps or methods do I take to inform the Church that a mason has infiltrated it?

If someone has proof that a deacon or priest is a Mason, s/he should report this to the deacon or priest’s Bishop or Religious Superior.

However, if it is a Bishop, then I am not sure. As a matter of fact, I posted another question a few hours ago which is relevant this question. IMHO, a Bishop is obedient only to the Pope. Thus, such an affiliation should be reported to the Pope. There are, of course, channels in which that this should be done, which I do not know about (though the term “Papal Nuncio” comes to mind).

Hopefully it goes without saying that this is an extremely serious charge to be leveled against a member of the clergy, and should be brought only if there is supporting evidence. The disruption caused by bringing such a charge (should it prove to be false) could be extremely detrimental to the health of the parish or diocese in question, not to mention the individual.

Found these up in the AAA forum.

[LIST]
]Is freemasonry against the Catholic Church?
]
Can a Freemason become a Catholic?**
[/LIST]

Just wondering: what would you consider “full certainty?” What in your thinking would be “proof” sufficient to qualify as “full certainty?”

By full certainty or proof I would mean that if one discovers a collection of evidence such as his free-masonic certificate, pictures of him being a mason, his ring, his ritual clothing or even the testimony if other free-masons. If one can collect this amount of evidence or close to this amount of evidence then I would consider it “proof”.

Though this may sound a tad paranoid (okay, a whole lot paranoid) in this day and age, keep in mind that the Freemasons, as an anti-Catholic organization, could potentially stir up trouble by offering up false testimony to discredit a member of the clergy.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.