The Church of Christ--Catholic or Protestant?

I recently read in a book about Catholicism, that the Church of Christ subsits within the Catholic Church, and I was wondering if anyone knows something about this. I went to the Church of Christ for about 10 years or so, and I have never heard anything about that. I have always considered the Church of Christ a Protestant church, then again the Church of Christ is the only ‘Protestant’ church that serves the Eucharist every Sunday. Would this make the Church of Christ a Protestant church or a Catholic church?

Maybe you misunderstood. As Catholics, we believe we are the Church of Christ, as in the Church founded by Jesus Christ on Pentacost in 33 AD. It is not referring to the Protestant Church of Christ. It refers to the founder of our Church, Jesus Christ.

From everything I have read they are a non-Catholic group that claims to be the original church. I would bet that if you called one you might be suprised what the pastor would say if you asked him if he was a subset of the the Roman Catholic Church.

[quote=flutterby145]I recently read in a book about Catholicism, that the Church of Christ subsits within the Catholic Church, and I was wondering if anyone knows something about this. I went to the Church of Christ for about 10 years or so, and I have never heard anything about that. I have always considered the Church of Christ a Protestant church, then again the Church of Christ is the only ‘Protestant’ church that serves the Eucharist every Sunday. Would this make the Church of Christ a Protestant church or a Catholic church?
[/quote]

I don’t know if I understand your question. My understanding of “catholic” is it means “universal”. That speaks to me that all “Christian” belief is “catholic”. It’s why, when a person baptized in a different denomination, is welcomed into the Catholic Church, and is not baptized again. We believe that baptism in Christ is done only once. Does that help?

I can understand the initial confusion. I’ve read the phrase Church of Christ in the Catechism myself. As it happens, the Protestant “Church of Christ” is very anti-Catholic. My husband, who is now a convert, was raised in the CoC, and the majority of his family still remains there; they don’t have much to do with him now that he’s Catholic.

Just for info, there is a Philippine cult also named Iglesia ni Cristo, which in English means exactly the Church of Christ. This is not to be confused by the Protestant denomination; I think that’s where their similarities end. The INC is quite like both Mormons and JWs, though unlike Mormons they teach that Jesus is not God (not even a god as Mormons profess), and that He failed, so it is now up to their founder, Felix Manalo, to fulfill the prophecy of Messiah. The INC is very well known for brainwashing its members, as well as having their own version of the Bible (distinct from anything mainline Protestants have).

Does this particular church you attended have a web site we can look at and evaluate?

Subrosa

[quote=flutterby145]I recently read in a book about Catholicism, that the Church of Christ subsits within the Catholic Church, and I was wondering if anyone knows something about this. I went to the Church of Christ for about 10 years or so, and I have never heard anything about that. I have always considered the Church of Christ a Protestant church, then again the Church of Christ is the only ‘Protestant’ church that serves the Eucharist every Sunday. Would this make the Church of Christ a Protestant church or a Catholic church?
[/quote]

I too am curious about the book (title, author, etc) particularly after “Church of Christ subsists within the Catholic Church.” This is entirely true that the Church founded by Christ is the Catholic Church, but thre reference is not alluding to the Protestant Denomination of “Church of Christ”. Ubi Petrus, Ibi Ecclesia (As Peter, so the Church). Thanks and God Bless.

I think JackmanUSC and later Slinky1882 answered your question. When it says that 'The Church of Christ subsists in the Catholic Church" they are simply refering to the Church which was founded by Christ upon Peter. They are not refering to the protestant denomination called, The Church of Christ. We could say that the Catholic Church is “Christ’s Church”, which is the same as saying it is “The Church of Christ” in this reference.

It is true that there are some agreements in doctrine of the Church of Christ that are also Catholic not found in other protestant churches such as baptismal regeneration and faith/ works not faith alone. However, the majority of Churches of Christ consider themselves non-denominational- not part of the protestant movement. Also, they do not align themselves with the Catholic Church and are vehmently anti-catholic. I was a member of this church for 26 years and this is my experience. There can be wide variations in the Church of Christ as there is no central organization and each church is led by the scriptural interpretations of the elders, deacons, and preacher.

The Church of Christ is the Church we read about in the NT. The scriptures are not interepreted by each congregathin of the Church. Rather if a congregation is not worshiping God as we read of in the scriptures,they are not pleasing to God.

Once Christ died he made a new covenant with Man. He made sure that everyone both Jew and Greek would be included in God’s plan.
God makes it clear that man has a choice to learn of him and either accept or reject Christ. With the exception of the thief on the cross,we read of amny accounts of the teachings of Jesus and his preaching and teaching. We tells us what to do to be saved. We can’t earn our salvation as it is a free gift. However their are caveots to claim your gift. We must hear the truth,beleive, confess, repent and be baptized for the remission of sins,and we are added to the church. Nothing more,nothing less. We then must go and tell the world of God,so each may hear and accept or reject their saviour.
You see it is not up to us to determing how to please God. God wants us to worship him the way he tells us to.

As an example the old law ( before the death of Christ),God demanded animal sacrifices. God no longer accepts these offerings. His new covenant asks us to do other things.

The Apostles lived and died,but the Church that was established at Christs death,lives today. Read of Pauls letters to the 1st century Church. He reminds them to do as God wishes,to be his Diciples.

[/quote]

You’re correct. They are NOT Catholic, they are Protestant. Their roots are Presbyterian, and the denomination originated in 1800. Presbyterians Thomas and Alexander Campbell, in Pennsylvania and Barton W. Stone in Kentucky merged. Now it has 4 million members

[/quote]

No matter what title you put on your Christian walk with god you are still a Christian so my answer to your question is Both.

I.C.L.,Badcat

[/quote]

Shame we didn’t copyright the name. BUT, the Catholic Church has referred to itself as COC all the way back to the patristic age.

[/quote]

:rotfl:Growing up CoC, that is VERY funny. steve b’s history is accurate - it’s a very unCatholic non-denominational denomination. If my family knew I was going Catholic, I don’t know what they’d do…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.