The Church on Evolution

I was wondering. What is the churchs stance on evolution? (I thought that science established spontanious generation like that required in the evolutionary begen. to be wrong but, I havn’t kept up with things on this subject scince high school. So could someone help with with this?) Thanks and God bless.

buries head in hands Here we go again…

Stick with this, and you should be alright: :slight_smile:
catholic.com/library/Adam_Eve_and_Evolution.asp

Pope Benedict has stated that Evolution is a Theory that cannot be proven. I agree with him 100%.

usatoday.com/tech/science/2007-04-12-pope-evolution_N.htm

As a side note, I am not advocating recalling all archaeologists from the field, shutting down scientific research, etc.

I am against those who advocate for God-less living.

God bless,
Ed

<< Pope Benedict has stated that Evolution is a Theory that cannot be proven. I agree with him 100%. >>

If he meant that, then Gravity is a Theory in science that cannot be proven. Germ theory of disease is a theory in science that cannot be proven. Electromagnetism is a theory of science that cannot be proven. Atomic theory is a theory in science that cannot be proven. Special Relativity is a theory in science that cannot be proven.

That’s because NO theory in science is proven. Here is what the Pope endorsed on evolution, back in 2004 when he was still Cardinal Ratzinger. Now come on, when you go from Cardinal to Pope you do not forget all this stuff: :smiley:

“According to the widely accepted scientific account, the universe erupted 15 billion years ago in an explosion called the ‘Big Bang’ and has been expanding and cooling ever since. Later there gradually emerged the conditions necessary for the formation of atoms, still later the condensation of galaxies and stars, and about 10 billion years later the formation of planets. In our own solar system and on earth (formed about 4.5 billion years ago), the conditions have been favorable to the emergence of life. While there is little consensus among scientists about how the origin of this first microscopic life is to be explained, there is general agreement among them that the first organism dwelt on this planet about 3.5 - 4 billion years ago. Since it has been demonstrated that all living organisms on earth are genetically related, it is virtually certain that all living organisms have descended from this first organism. Converging evidence from many studies in the physical and biological sciences furnishes mounting support for some theory of evolution to account for the development and diversification of life on earth, while controversy continues over the pace and mechanisms of evolution. While the story of human origins is complex and subject to revision, physical anthropology and molecular biology combine to make a convincing case for the origin of the human species in Africa about 150,000 years ago in a humanoid population of common genetic lineage. However it is to be explained, the decisive factor in human origins was a continually increasing brain size, culminating in that of homo sapiens. With the development of the human brain, the nature and rate of evolution were permanently altered: with the introduction of the uniquely human factors of consciousness, intentionality, freedom and creativity, biological evolution was recast as social and cultural evolution.” (From the International Theological Commission, headed by then Joseph Cardinal Ratzinger now Pope Benedict XVI, statement “Communion and Stewardship: Human Persons Created in the Image of God,” plenary sessions held in Rome 2000-2002, published July 2004)

Phil P

As the OP said - “here we go again” :eek:

:hypno: :eek: :blush: :shrug: :smiley:

Hi Montie,

Noboby believes in spontaneous generation. Evolution is a scientific question, not a religious question. The Church requires that we believe

(1) that all humans presently on earth are descended from two parents

(2) that the spiritual part of man (soul) cannot have evolved.

For everything else you are free to believe what you want. “Evangelical” Catholics play on the word “theory”. Someone above has given the good answer to that. Evolution cannot be proved in the laboratory, so it will always remain a “theory”, just like the “theory” that the earth revolves around the sun.

Stay away from extremists. They take away your peace of soul.

Verbum

There is a theory of gravity. We can all experience gravity. To compare the theory of gravity to evolution is absure. Evolution is NOT based on observation. No one has ever seen evolution. We have all experienced gravity.

Evolution is a theory, but it is NOT science. Were it science, it would be received as the gravity theory is. It is an alternate religious belief masquerading as science.

If science can explain our origins better than the Bible, perhaps science will explain the Resurrection. Then science can explain Jesus Christ walking on the water. If you accept evolution as “the scientific explanation” of our origins, why stop there? Let’s let science tell us how how its done.

If science is your god, show a little faith!

I think I am on safe ground when I say that the Church believes that if some form of Evolution is true, that the hand of God is behind it.

Evolution does not in any way, shape or form “disprove” God, and anybody who claims otherwise is on a fool’s errand.

False. Have a look at the Luria-Delbrück experiment for one. There are more.

Evolution is a theory, but it is NOT science. Were it science, it would be received as the gravity theory is.

It is and it is. It is science, and scientists accept it as such.

It is an alternate religious belief masquerading as science.

False.There are some specific qualifications that are usually required for a
religion, and evolution fails all of them. It has no holidays or holy days.
It has no prophets. It has no scriptures. It has no temples and no
priesthood. It sets no rules for behavior: evolution does not promise me a
reward if I adhere to it, nor does it threaten me with punishment if I deny
it. It provides nothing to worship; no one prays to evolution. It is silent
on the topics of life after death or the existence of the soul. Evolution
says nothing about the existence of a god or lack thereof. It can be
seamlessly incorporated into any belief system, from the most ardent atheism
to all but the most literal fundamentalist theism, with any deity or other
supernatural entity of choice given credit for using evolution as the
mechanism by which life was caused to diversify. And most importantly,
evolution is a science and does not require belief or faith of any sort.

Adam Marczyk talk.origins 29 June 2001

Science is not my god. I accept the scientific evidence. Show me a Cambrian cow (Genesis 1:24) or city (Genesis 4:17) and I will consider them evidence for your interpretation of Genesis.

rossum

Abu << There is a theory of gravity. We can all experience gravity. To compare the theory of gravity to evolution is absurd. Evolution is NOT based on observation. No one has ever seen evolution. We have all experienced gravity. >>

There is a theory of evolution. We can all experience evolution, through the flu and other diseases that quickly change through evolution. To compare the theory of gravity with evolution is exactly and precisely correct. They are the same as far as theories go in science. Evolution is BASED on observation. Natural selection has been well-tested in both field and laboratory.

“Let me try to make crystal clear what is established beyond reasonable doubt, and what needs further study, about evolution. Evolution as a process that has always gone on in the history of the earth can be doubted only by those who are ignorant of the evidence or are resistant to evidence, owing to emotional blocks or to plain bigotry. By contrast, the mechanisms that bring evolution about certainly need study and clarification. There are no alternatives to evolution as history that can withstand critical examination. Yet we are constantly learning new and important facts about evolutionary mechanisms.” (Theodosius Dobzhansky, “Nothing in Biology Makes Sense Except in the Light of Evolution” American Biology Teacher, March 1973)

“…there has been a confusion, partly deliberate, of the fact that organisms have evolved with theories about the detailed mechanics of the process. The facts of evolution are clear and are not disputed by any serious scientific worker. The universe is over 11 billion years old, and the earth, in particular, is over 4 billion. That is a fact. Life on earth is at least 2.5 billion years old, and, as new evidence accumulates, the best estimate of the origin of life gets pushed further and further into the past. That too is a fact. It is also a fact that there were no mammals or birds 200 million years ago and no vertebrates 600 million years ago, while there are no dinosaurs now. Finally, it is a fact that under conditions that have existed on earth for the last billion years, at least, all living organisms arise from previously living organisms. So, the present complex living forms have evolved by an unbroken and continuous process from the simplest living forms of the pre-Cambrian era. To assert, on the contrary, that the earth and life on it are a paltry ten or hundred thousand years old and that the complex forms living today arose in an instant from unorganized matter is in contradiction not simply with the corpus of biological knowledge but with all scientific knowledge of the physical world. To deny evolution is to deny physics, chemistry, and astronomy, as well as biology.” (Richard Lewontin, March 1982, Introduction to Scientists Confront Creationism [W.W. Norton, 1983] )

“…there is general agreement among them that the first organism dwelt on this planet about 3.5 - 4 billion years ago. Since it has been demonstrated that all living organisms on earth are genetically related, it is virtually certain that all living organisms have descended from this first organism. Converging evidence from many studies in the physical and biological sciences furnishes mounting support for some theory of evolution to account for the development and diversification of life on earth, while controversy continues over the pace and mechanisms of evolution.” (ITC signed and endorsed by Cardinal Ratzinger in 2004, who became Pope in 2005)

You cannot measure the gravity for every atom or every star and planet. You cannot conduct an experiment for gravity on the Sun. You do not witness gravity on the Sun. We can’t stand and jump up and down on the Sun. Maybe that means there is no gravity on the Sun. It is ONLY a theory after all. Furthermore, if the theory of gravity were true, it would show that the sun’s gravitational force on the moon is much stronger than the earth’s gravitational force on the moon, so the moon would go around the sun. Anybody can look up at night and see the obvious gaps in gravity theory. Gravity totally fails to explain why Saturn has rings and Jupiter does not. It utterly fails to account for obesity. In fact, what it does “explain” is far out-weighed by what it does not explain.

Do you now see how futile this discussion is? People who reject evolution know nothing of science, nothing of logic, nothing of history. Someone needs to read a book before we have another of these 10 to 20 page threads on evolution. :thumbsup:

Phil P

Of course evolution is based on observation. That is a silly statement.

Evolution is a theory, but it is NOT science. Were it science, it would be received as the gravity theory is. It is an alternate religious belief masquerading as science.

Ask a biologist and you will find that evolution is at least as well supported as gravitational theory. But then, I think that you are confusing facts with theories. Facts are, well, facts. Theories explain facts. Gravity exists and gravitational theory tries to explain the effect. Evolution exists and the theory (ies) of evolution tries to explain how it occurs.

If science can explain our origins better than the Bible, perhaps science will explain the Resurrection. Then science can explain Jesus Christ walking on the water.

Science can’t explain those things because they are supernatural events. They are outside the realm of science, that’s why they are considered miracles.

If you accept evolution as “the scientific explanation” of our origins, why stop there? Let’s let science tell us how how its done.

There are massive amounts of evidence that the earth and the universe are old and that life has evolved and, more importantly, that the Genesis story is not literally true. There is no evidence that Jesus didn’t walk on water or that Jesus was not resurrected.

Science isn’t my God. I’m just as Catholic as you are.

Peace

Tim

my high school biology teacher shared this crazy theory, which i don’t know if he subscribed to or not, but it makes a lot of sense. he taught us evolution but also taught us about god. i believe he said he got the idea from tolkien, but this was a few years ago so i could be wrong.

the idea was the world was created by god as stated in the bible, however at the fall of man god essentially rewrote history to account for man’s new susceptibility to sin. as crazy as it sounds, it makes sense. we’re told that when we let our impulsive sinful nature take control of us we act like what? animals.

that said, i’ve always been told the church’s stance is simply: you can believe evolution or any other widely accepted theory on the condition you believe god instigated creation and implanted the human soul.

I don’t think many things have ever made less sense to me… :ehh:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.