The Church's One Foundation

We have used The Church’s One Foundation as an Entrance Hymn.

Have you used The Church's One Foundation at your church?        

:harp::harp::harp:

Yes. IMHO it is underused. Excellent hymn.

Seems like they used to play it a lot when I visited cathedrals. Haven’t heard it for a long time, though. Powerful message.

It’s an Anglican hymn, but it’s not in contradiction with Catholic theology, so it’s okay to sing. I have only heard it sung at the Anglican use Ordinariate.

I don’t like these Protestant hymns. What happened to “don’t sing at mass; sing the mass?” Sing them outside of mass. Sing the mass during mass.

Besides, the Epistle to the Ephesians states that the Church is built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets" so it is not true that Christ is the one foundation in every sense. I think also that this hymn has taken on anti-Catholic connotations for many Protestants, as they think they are singing that the Church is founded on Christ rather than Peter or something along those lines, even if that was notnecessarily the original intention of the author.

Besides, we already have a unique hymn every day already written for us. It is called “the introit.”

No, the Church’s foundation is indeed Christ. Christ has laid a sure foundation. Christ the head, and cornerstone.

I’m not saying that is false, only that it can be misunderstood as a dig at the papacy. I know this because I have it brought it up to me by Protestants.

In The Gospel According to Matthew, Chapter 7 Verses 24-27 tell about The Two Foundations.
The Church’s One Foundation would be an appropriate hymn when this Gospel passage is read.

We use it a lot at our cathedral for big diocesan liturgies. It’s got a lot of verses and that helps when there are at least 200 in the procession.

I found the song Christ is Made the Sure Foundation in the hymnal.The following is part of the First Verse:

Christ is made the sure foundation,     
          Christ the head and cornerstone;       
           Chosen of the Lord, and precious,      
         Binding all the Church in one;[BIBLEDRB] [/BIBLEDRB]

The one I thought the thread was about was this:

youtube.com/watch?v=jotNbcFelX4

Christ is the cornerstone.

built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Christ Jesus himself being the cornerstone, in whom the whole structure is joined together and grows into a holy temple in the Lord; in whom you also are built into it for a dwelling place of God in the Spirit. (Ephesians 2:20-22)

The cornerstone is laid first and everything else is built in relation to it. That cornerstone is Jesus. Everything - even the foundation of the Apostles - exists insofar as it relates to Jesus.

-Tim-

I don’t think everything has to be an excuse for an argument. It is clear that I never denied that the Church is built on Christ, but only that it would be wrong to say that the Church is therefore built on no one else in any respect, as some would try to say. Like I said earlier, I have even had a conversation with someone from a Protestant background within the past week or two where they thought the hymn was a dig at the papacy (nevermind the actual intent of the composer).

I use it quite often. I love the older hymns.

I have always loved “The Church’s one foundation”, and I don’t see any dig at the papacy in this hymn. St. Peter wouldn’t have any problem with it, I am sure. Here is the third verse from the Collins edition of Morning and Evening Prayer:

Though with a scornful wonder
Men see her sore oppressed,
By schisms rent asunder,
By heresies distrest,
Yet saints their watch are keeping,
Their cry goes up, ‘How long?’
And soon the night of weeping
Shall be the morn of song.

How’s that for calling a spade a spade?!

We sang it this past weekend at my parish. We haven’t used it in a long time, yet the people really belted it out. There’s a lot of theology in just four verses.

closed #17

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.