The Church's Role in the World

How does one give a comprehensive reply to the question why the Church cannot “move on with the times” in order to make it more relevant to “modern society’s needs” ?

My question would be, “what makes you think the Church does not do so?”

Should “modern society” shape the Kingdom of God or should the Kingdom of God shape “modern society”? My guess is the people saying this have a selfish agenda. I would quote
(2 Tim 4:3-4) "For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but wanting to have their ears tickled, they will accumulate for themselves teachers in accordance to their own desires, and will turn away their ears from the truth and will turn aside to myths.

Peace,

Ryan :slight_smile:

“Modern” society is proving to be more and more secular and atheistic. My understanding of the reform that many want is to change almost all of the teaching on morals, particularly as it pertains to sexuality. At the beginning of the last century Pope St Pius X called it modernism. He pretty well had it pegged for what it is. A godless society that leads to total relativism and away from the truth. To that extent, the church will NOT become more relevant as some say., but it will continue to present the truth, which is one, singular and immutable, ;and will never change. That is how the Church stays relevant.
Deacon Ed B

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.