The Church's Teaching on Mythological Beings

What are the Catholic Church’s teachings on mythological creatures? I don’t mean only dragons but what about vampires, fairies, mermaids, gryphons, and the like? Is it implied that they are purely work of the human imagination or are they symbolic like the dragon is symbolic of Satan? I was really curious and would appreciate any help on this matter.

[quote=OnceUponATime]What are the Catholic Church’s teachings on mythological creatures? I don’t mean only dragons but what about vampires, fairies, mermaids, gryphons, and the like? Is it implied that they are purely work of the human imagination or are they symbolic like the dragon is symbolic of Satan? I was really curious and would appreciate any help on this matter.
[/quote]

Some of these creatures, like the gryphon have religious symbolism. It can be very interesting to research such imagery. Of course simply because one mythological creature had negative or positive associations in the past, that doesn’t mean that a writer can’t use, say the dragon, for an entirely different symbolism.

As they are all imaginary creatures, I would guess that the church would have no opinion on them. There are some extreme fundamentalists who really despise any type of fantasy or mythological creation.

[quote=OnceUponATime]What are the Catholic Church’s teachings on mythological creatures?
[/quote]

What do you mean by “teaching”? These are creatures of literature, they are not real. Therefore the Church does not have a “teaching” on them.

[quote=1ke]What do you mean by “teaching”? These are creatures of literature, they are not real. Therefore the Church does not have a “teaching” on them.
[/quote]

I agree.

The church doesn’t need to express an opinion upon everything.

+T+
Michael

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.