The Coming Secularist Storm

"In the last few years, the birth of Our Lord Jesus Christ has been celebrated as “winter holidays” with “holiday trees” and “season’s greetings.” December has become the month of the “Christmas wars”: In some schools and public squares, Nativity scenes and Christmas carols are forbidden or replaced by non-religious displays and songs.

By now, we are used to seeing movies, TV shows, novels, papers, magazines, websites, works of modern art and stage plays mock religion, especially Christian symbols and practices. The Catholic Church authorities are often portrayed as criminals involved in different kinds of malicious activities. Anti-Christian legislation isn’t rare. At some Catholic schools, what students learn is not inspired by the Gospel.

We live in a secularized world — and we are worried that, after Nov. 4, it will only get worse. The practice and public expression of our faith will be increasingly hindered. Our children will find it difficult to be authentically Christian.

“The secularizing process is the heartbeat of modernity,” said Cardinal Antonio Cañizares, archbishop of Toledo, Spain, at a 2007 conference on “Christianity and Secularization” held at the Legionaries of Christ-run Università Europea di Roma.

“Silencing or abandoning God or confining him to the private sphere is undoubtedly the defining theme of our bleak times in the West. There is no other movement to be compared with it, not even the loss of the moral sense.” …"

For entire article see: ncregister.com/site/article/16652/

I don’t like being in “Christmas wars”. But what struck me as odd was the reaction to the "Why Believe in a god? holiday campaign sponsored by the American Humanist Association. The comments I read revolved around the right to equal advertising like any other group. Equal advertising is fine. Free speech is great. etc. etc. Free speech does allow atheism to promote their position.

Nonetheless, I don’t think many people took the time to check out the website written on the bottom of the ad. And if a few people did check it out, they probably agreed that being good is important even without God.

But shouldn’t pastors, Christian teachers or Bible group leaders take some of the stuff found on the links to both adults and children and discuss why God is important.
Information about God should be given equal time and I don’t mean advertising in the “Christmas wars”. I mean
spreading the truth in the trenches.

At the very least, Christians should show the ad (which can be downloaded) to other Christians and ask:
“What is wrong with this picture?”

The website is www.whybelieveinagod.org Follow every link.

Blessings,
grannymh

And tonight on prime time television here in Boston we have “A Billy Graham Christmas” on the CBS affiliate and “The Priests of Armagh Cathedral” on the PBS affiliate. Both clearly and unabashedly proclaiming the salvation of the world through our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. There is reason to hope.

Please, don’t let hope be without action.

Arm youself with facts about what being “Humanist” really means. Talk with people, who may have seen the publicity about the American Humanist Association Holiday ad: “Why believe in a god? Just be good for goodness’ sake”.

Take the ad (which can be downloaded) to religious ed classes and ask “What is wrong with this picture?”

Check out www.whybelieveinagod.org Get the real story by following the links.

Spread the truth in the trenches.

Blessings,
granymh

Thanks for pointing out this article.

Readers of this thread might also benefit from listening to the audio lecture in my signature.

The following is a sarcastic email signature I received recently

Here’s wishing you an…

environmentally conscious, socially responsible, low-stress, non-
addictive, gender-neutral

winter solstice holiday, practiced within the most joyous traditions
of the religious persuasion of your choice,

but with respect for the religious persuasion of others who choose to
practice their own religion as well as those who choose not to
practice a religion at all;

plus…

A fiscally successful, personally fulfilling, and medically
uncomplicated recognition of the generally accepted calendar year

but not without due respect for the calendars of choice of other
cultures whose contributions have helped make our society great,

without regard to the race, creed, color, religious, or sexual
preferences of the wishers or wishees.

Disclaimer: This greeting is subject to clarification or withdrawal.
It implies no promise by the wisher to actually implement any of the
wishes for her/himself or others and no responsibility for any
unintended emotional stress these greetings may bring to those not
caught up in holiday

How funny!!!

someone just e-mailed this to me - let’s pray that it’s not true:

Twas the month before Christmas

When all through our land,

Not a Christian was praying

Nor taking a stand.

See the PC Police had taken away,

The reason for Christmas - no one could say.

The children were told by their schools not to sing,

About Shepherds and Wise Men and Angels and things.

It might hurt people’s feelings, the teachers would say

• December 25th is just a ’ Holiday '.*

Yet the shoppers were ready with cash, checks and credit

Pushing folks down to the floor just to get it!

CDs from Madonna, an X BOX, an I-pod

*Something was changing, something quite odd! *

Retailers promoted Ramadan and Kwanzaa

In hopes to sell books by Franken & Fonda.

As Targets were hanging their trees upside down

• At Lowe’s the word Christmas - was nowhere to be found.*

At K-Mart and Staples and Penny’s and Sears

You won’t hear the word Christmas; it won’t touch your ears.

Inclusive, sensitive, Di-ver-si-ty

Are words that were used to intimidate me.

Now Daschle, Now Darden, Now Sharpton, Wolf Blitzen

On Boxer, on Rather, on Kerry, on Clinton !

At the top of the Senate, there arose such a clatter

To eliminate Jesus, in all public matter.

And we spoke not a word, as they took away our faith

• Forbidden to speak of salvation and grace*

The true Gift of Christmas was exchanged and discarded

The reason for the season, stopped before it started.

So as you celebrate ‘Winter Break’ under your ‘Dream Tree’

Sipping your Starbucks, listen to me.

Choose your words carefully, choose what you say

*Shout MERRY CHRISTMAS ,

not Happy Holiday !*

Please, all Christians join together and

wish everyone you meet

MERRY CHRISTMAS

Christ is The Reason for the Christ-mas Season!

Dear quastio,

I am very interested in your audio regarding neutrality. This was presented to me as a plus for the Humanists’ holiday ad. One problem, I don’t have sound on my computer. Is there a text somewhere? Thank you.

Blessings,
grannymh

'Twas the night before Christmas, and all through CA
I told you to shut up, because the perceived notion of a ‘War on Christmas’ was getting quite annoying.

Freedom of Religion.

Void where prohibited by (secular) law, regulation, statute, ordinance, court ruling…

i think we should go further than that… We should say to others:

Merry Christ - Mass

You know, not being able to monopolize upon a holiday != not being able to practice your religion.

Just a thought.

grannymh,

The best I could find is a newspaper article on the lecture. It contains a few quotations. You can read it here.

Dear quaestio,

Your “best” turned out to be a gold mine. The opening quote about the dangers of a society without God is thought provoking when compared to the American Humanist Association’s premise – just be good for goodness’ [sic] sake.

Furthermore, it gave me some current vocabulary. And assured me that the word “absolute” is still being used. The quote: “Something is awry when a group of people who build a culture say there is no such thing as an absolute.”

Thank you.

Blessings,
grannymh

There would be no holiday to monopolize if it weren’t for the birth of Christ.

Just a thought.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.