The Committee of the Representatives of the Orthodox Churches at European Union on the refugee crisis in Europe

The Committee of the Representatives of the Orthodox Churches at European Union (CROCEU), reuniting the representatives of the Patriarchates of Constantinople, Moscow, Romania and Bulgaria, and of the Orthodox Churches of Cyprus and Greece to the European Institutions (Brussels), issued on 23 September 2015 an official Communiqué regarding the refugee crisis in Europe. The text of the Communiqué is made public by the Representation of the Romanian Orthodox Church to the European Institutions (Brussels) and can be found below:

1. Over the past few months we have all been following the evolution of an unprecedented phenomenon in recent European history: the arrival at the borders of Europe, and now in its very heart, of hundreds of thousands of people fleeing their home countries which have been devastated by prolonged military, civil, inter-ethnic and inter-religious conflicts.
  1. Confronted with the reality of human suffering, as disciples of Christ, we are called to wholeheartedly help alleviating the suffering of the innocent victims of these conflicts. We should constantly keep in mind the Lord’s words: “I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me.”(Mt. 25:35-36). We should also remind ourselves of the words of an Orthodox philosopher that “the question of bread for myself is a material question, but the question of bread for my neighbor is a spiritual question”.
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.