The Concept of Mediatrix attributed to Mary: Right or Wrong?

An inquiry on the concept of ‘Mediatrix’, (‘Auxiliatrix’, and even, ‘Co-Redemptrix’, & ‘Mediatrix of All Graces’) attributed to Mary.

The question is: Why do Catholics pray to Mary, or more precisely, through Mary to Jesus? (The Catechism of Catholic Church 2673 to 2679) Or do they not do that as stated in the Catechism?

Also, if Catholics pray “through” Mary as an intercessor who prays to God on behalf of mankind, yet there are more than a billion Catholics on earth; I’ll love to know: How can Mary hear all the prayers of a billion people and more? Wouldn’t that make her omnipresent, omnipotent and omniscient, because she will need to be everywhere, hear every prayer, and remember every prayer, respectively, before she can pass it on to Jesus, then to God? Aren’t those attributes or qualities, Catholics are giving to Mary, reserved only to ‘persons’ that are called God? How is Mary, a human born with sin (original sin) like every other human descending from Adam and Eve, capable of attaining Omni-powers?

In another dimension, if we say it is because Mary is in the spiritual realm. Being in the Spiritual realm, does it now mean every spirit now has these Omni-powers, thus, robs ‘persons’ that are called God of their qualities? For instance, if I can so easily send a message to A, who has a ‘wow’ Wi-Fi, unlimited data access, and an out-of-this-world device – in fact, before I even send the message, A already knows what’s coming --; then, why will I need to send it to B, who has a not-so-good Wi-Fi, limited ‘data bundle’, depending on A for wherewithal, and using a… Blackberry, for that matter, to, in return, forward it to A? Isn’t that basically redundant? Unless, you’ll have to equate the communication capabilities of A to that of B, and by so doing that A is equal to B, if A is a God, B will also be a God. Thus, how many God(s) do we now have in Christianity? I only know of one God – a Trinity of Persons and not a ‘Fournity’. Okay, on the other hand, if we are to, by induction, appeal to ignorance that, we don’t know what it is like in the spiritual realm, thus it could be possible to have Omni-powers; then, ipso facto, it could also be possible we’re creating new gods, since it’s basically a conclusion from what we don’t know.

What do you think?

Because we can. What a privilege it is to have the entire Communion of Saints praying on our behalf, including Mary. Because Christ wants us to pray for each other and ask each other to pray for us. Because the Communion of Saints is real and we are all a part of it. I ask all my friends to pray for me. Mary is my friend.

Through Christ. How else? Christ enables this ability for all the Saints in Heaven.

No.

The Saints are not God.

Anything anyone of the saints is, Is because of Christ.

**“Before Abraham, He was in the beginning”.

“In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. All things were made through him, and without him was not any thing made that was made.”**

:signofcross::highprayer:

God makes the prayers known to the saints in heaven. In Revelation 5:8, St. John depicts the saints in heaven offering our prayers to God under the form of "golden bowls full of incense.

From The Council of Trent (Session XXV):the saints who reign together with Christ offer up their own prayers to God for men. It is good and useful suppliantly to invoke them, and to have recourse to their prayers, aid, and help for obtaining benefits from God, through His Son Jesus Christ our Lord, Who alone is our Redeemer and Saviour. Those persons think impiously who deny that the Saints, who enjoy eternal happiness in heaven, are to be invoked; or who assert either that they do not pray for men, or that the invocation of them to pray for each of us is idolatry, or that it is repugnant to the word of God, and is opposed to the honour of the one Mediator of God and men, Jesus Christ
history.hanover.edu/texts/trent/ct25.html

Because Catholics believe that prayer is an expression of our union with God, and part of that is our union with those who are in God – the Saints and angels. And Mary is one of them. Therefore, our prayer includes them in just the same way that it includes each other on earth: we pray together with them and ask them to join in prayer with us and for us.

Here are a few of the basic passages that support praying to the saints and angels: 1) “Bless the Lord, O you his angels” (Psalms 103:20) “Bless the Lord, all his hosts” (Psalms 103:21) “Praise him, all his angels” – “Praise him, all his host” (Psalms 148:1-2) “Rejoice over her, O heaven, O saints and apostles and prophets.” (Revelation 18:20)These verses show that we can address the saints and angels in heaven when we pray. The difference between the prayer, “Bless the Lord, all his hosts” and “Pray for me, all his hosts” is only the difference between two kinds of prayer. Either way you are addressing the people in heaven, it’s just that if you pray the first way, you’re asking the saints to pray with you, and if you pray the second way, you’re asking the saints to pray for you.2) “[T]he twenty-four elders fell down before the Lamb…[with] incense, which [is] the prayers of the saints.” (Revelation 5:8) “And another angel came…and he was given much incense to [offer] with the prayers of all the saints.” (Revelation 8:3)These verses tell us two things about the saints in heaven. First, they have our prayers and they bring them before God. This shows that they’ve received them. The “incense” of prayer rises to the saints according to this passage. That shows the saints being prayed to at the very least by some people. Second, the saints in heaven are praying about our prayers. People don’t fall down before God for nothing. Rev. 8:3 makes this clearer by saying that incense-prayer from heaven was added to the incense-prayer from earth. This shows us that the saints in heaven add their prayers to ours. Therefore, they receive our prayers, present them to God, and join their prayers to ours.3) “[Jacob] strove with the angel and prevailed, [then] he wept and sought his favor.” (Hosea 12:4) “[T]he angel who has redeemed me from all evil, bless the lads.” (Genesis 48:16)These passages show angels being prayed to. Jacob prayed to an angel for his favor and then later asks him to bless his children. The Hosea passage is clarified by Genesis 32:24-29, where Jacob says to the angel, “I will not let you go, unless you bless me.” Some people argue that the angel was actually God because in verse 30 Jacob says, “I have seen God face to face,” but Hosea 12:4 says it was an angel. Genesis 32:30 could mean that Jacob thought the angel was God, or understood that angels bear with them the real presence of God. It is also significant that God has no body. That means the reference to His face is symbolic. It refers to God’s presence.4) “[A]t your right hand stands the queen in gold of Ophir. Hear, O daughter, consider, and incline your ear; forget your people and your father’s house; and the king will desire your beauty. Since he is your lord, bow to him; the people of Tyre will sue your favor with gifts, the richest of the people with all kinds of wealth.” (Psalms 45:9-13)This passage is in a messianic psalm and discusses the woman who will stand at the right hand of the Messiah. The woman is Mary and it says specifically that the people of faraway nations “will sue [her] favor with gifts.” This passage shows us that Mary can be prayed to, but it’s also significant because it is a prophecy that is only fulfilled in the Catholic Church. Protestant churches don’t even claim that there is a woman who all the nations seek for her favor, but the Bible says there would be, and she would stand at the right hand of the Messiah.5) “Grace to you and peace from him who is, and was, and is to come, and from the seven spirits which are before his throne.” (Revelation 1:4)In this passage St. John invokes a blessing upon the churches in Asia. He did not only invoke grace from God, but from angels. An invocation is a form of prayer which calls down a blessing on someone. In this passage he calls it down from God and seven angels, which shows us a prayer to the angels

How can Mary hear all the prayers of a billion people and more? Wouldn’t that make her…omniscient?]

First, you don’t need to have infinite power to hear a finite amount of prayers.

Second, there are at least two Scriptures that indicate that the saints can hear billions of prayers. One is Luke 15:10 – “Just so, I tell you, there is joy before the angels of God over one sinner who repents.” If the people in heaven know when a sinner prays a prayer of repentance, then they can hear billions of prayers.

Another Scripture that indicates this is Revelation 18:17-20 – "And all shipmasters and seafaring men, sailors and all whose trade is on the sea, stood far off and cried out as they saw the smoke of her burning…‘Rejoice over her, O heaven, O saints and apostles and prophets, for God has given judgment for you against her!’ " That indicates that billions of people will cry out to the saints and apostles in heaven.

Aren’t those attributes or qualities, Catholics are giving to Mary, reserved only to ‘persons’ that are called God?

Scripture does not assign that quality only to God. At the very least, it indicates that God shares with His saints and angels the ability to hear billions of prayers.

Is that helpful?

:popcorn:

What do ‘I’ think?..
I think all your questions reveal your agenda to oppose Catholic Marian devotion.

Catholics pray to, with and through Mary (whether they realize it or not).

Once you acknowledge she was conceived without sin, the only perfect human being, whose will is perfectly united with God’s will you’ll begin to understand our dependence on her as Mother.

She’s been praying for you your entire life. Do you not talk to her? :wink:

There is much more to be understood about this for good Catholics, former Catholics and non-Catholics.

A Study of Marian Themes in Magisterial Documents
campus.udayton.edu/mary/resources/documents/themes.html
Under the theme Mary and the Church: Mediation and Intercession
campus.udayton.edu/mary/resources/documents/docs4-4.html

Simply put…
Our prayers go through Mary through Jesus to the Father.
Grace comes from the Father through Jesus through Mary to us.
When we pray directly to God, she takes the prayer coming from us to God.
When we ask her to pray to God for us, now the prayer is coming from her not us.
God does not refuse ‘her’ prayer. And she will only ask from God what conforms to His will.
Once we know her and pray to her, we need to consecrate ourselves to her.
‘Why’ consecrate?
It is the most perfect way to sanctification, bringing us closer to Jesus.
Through her we become apostles to bring the entire world to Christ (and His Church).
God and the Immaculata’s will are united, the same.
When we are consecrated to her, since she is perfect, our prayers, as well as our entire wills, are her property, and she polishes everything from us before presenting it to our Lord.

Emmapro, others have answered your other questions as well as, if not better than, I could; however, they have missed the following in your post:

Marry is the Immaculate conception, she is without original sin, this is an Infallible teaching of the Catholic Church. This was something that the Church Fathers struggled with for quite some time.

However,

1854, Pope Pius IX, infallibly defined, ex cathedra:
“The Blessed Virgin Mary, in the first instant of her conception, by a singular grace and privilege of Almighty God, and in view of the foreseen merits of Jesus Christ, the savior of the human race, was preserved free from all stain of original sin.”*
Mind you this is one of the two dogmatic ex cathedra statements made.

of course leading to the CCC: (Red highlight is mine.)

Vatican: Catechism of the Catholic Church: The Immaculate Conception (click here)

490 To become the mother of the Savior, Mary "was enriched by God with gifts appropriate to such a role."132 The angel Gabriel at the moment of the annunciation salutes her as “full of grace”.133 In fact, in order for Mary to be able to give the free assent of her faith to the announcement of her vocation, it was necessary that she be wholly borne by God’s grace.

491 Through the centuries the Church has become ever more aware that Mary, “full of grace” through God,134 was redeemed from the moment of her conception. That is what the dogma of the Immaculate Conception confesses, as Pope Pius IX proclaimed in 1854:

**The most Blessed Virgin Mary was, from the first moment of her conception, by a singular grace and privilege of almighty God and by virtue of the merits of Jesus Christ, Savior of the human race, preserved immune from all stain of original sin.135**

492 The “splendor of an entirely unique holiness” by which Mary is “enriched from the first instant of her conception” comes wholly from Christ: she is “redeemed, in a more exalted fashion, by reason of the merits of her Son”.136 The Father blessed Mary more than any other created person “in Christ with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places” and chose her “in Christ before the foundation of the world, to be holy and blameless before him in love”.137

493 The Fathers of the Eastern tradition call the Mother of God “the All-Holy” (Panagia), and celebrate her as “free from any stain of sin, as though fashioned by the Holy Spirit and formed as a new creature”.138 By the grace of God Mary remained free of every personal sin her whole life long.

“Let it be done to me according to your word. . .”

494 At the announcement that she would give birth to “the Son of the Most High” without knowing man, by the power of the Holy Spirit, Mary responded with the obedience of faith, certain that “with God nothing will be impossible”: "Behold, I am the handmaid of the Lord; let it be [done] to me according to your word."139 Thus, giving her consent to God’s word, Mary becomes the mother of Jesus. Espousing the divine will for salvation wholeheartedly, without a single sin to restrain her, she gave herself entirely to the person and to the work of her Son; she did so in order to serve the mystery of redemption with him and dependent on him, by God’s grace:140

As St. Irenaeus says, "Being obedient she became the cause of salvation for herself and for the whole human race."141 Hence not a few of the early Fathers gladly assert. . .: "The knot of Eve's disobedience was untied by Mary's obedience: what the virgin Eve bound through her disbelief, Mary loosened by her faith."142 Comparing her with Eve, they call Mary "the Mother of the living" and frequently claim: "Death through Eve, life through Mary."143

Mary’s divine motherhood

495 Called in the Gospels “the mother of Jesus”, Mary is acclaimed by Elizabeth, at the prompting of the Spirit and even before the birth of her son, as “the mother of my Lord”.144 In fact, the One whom she conceived as man by the Holy Spirit, who truly became her Son according to the flesh, was none other than the Father’s eternal Son, the second person of the Holy Trinity. Hence the Church confesses that Mary is truly “Mother of God” (Theotokos).145

Also neighbor, one should keep in mind, that once with God, we are no longer bound to the same linear reference of time that we are are bound to while alive ; thus, for the Angels, Saints, and all of the Heavenly Host, time for them doesn’t have the limitations as it does for us.

This concept exists because God has revealed it to and through the Church. Christianity is not bible-based, it is Christ based. When we eviscerate the faith and winnow it down to only the written tradition (bible), it loses much of its supernatural essence. Then, confusion and disagreement run rampant.

To simplify: Christ is our One, Divine Mediator. He chose to come to us through a human mother, Mary. Thus, God (in Christ) chose that Mary was integrally involved in the process. And, in that very limited regard (as it is with papal infallibility), she is the one through whom all graces (Jesus Christ) came.

She intercedes for us, as do all the Saints. What is new, what is unusual, what is man-made is for Christians not to ask the Saints for prayer. I understand your concern, but you have been taught by those who were themselves taught by innovators. Innovation is great for industry and science. In theology? Not so much.

There are only two Churches on the face of the earth that trace directly to Christ: the Orthodox, and the Catholic. For nearing 2,000 years, both have asked the Saints for their intercession.

Why? Because it works.

I can see why the Church wants to honor our Blessed Mother with this title but it may cause misunderstanding within and out of our “One Body”.

Is our Holy Mother Queen of Heaven? Absolutely. Is She Mediatrix of all graces? Possibly. Does She love us all as Her children? Positively. Does She bring us closer to Her Son Jesus? Definitely.

I also know that although Jesus gave us His Mother from the cross, Our Lady also chose to be our intercessor because of Her great Love for humanity. However, I believe that She does not want to be a goddess. She knows Her role and Her place.

Many will misunderstand what this title means. Many will think that a critique of this title will indicate anti-Marian devotion. Hence, another misunderstanding. Since it already causes questions and confusion perhaps another title would be more appropriate while still honoring Her for Her fidelity, perpetual virginity, vessel of Divine Incarnation, willingness to participate in the process of redemption.

I love Her dearly because not only do I speak with Her, but I also listen for Her answers and have been made aware of the many ways that She has come to my aid. I especially am grateful for Her role in strengthening my faith, and bringing me closer to the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.

For these reasons I shall be eternally grateful to Her. I have experienced Her love for us, (an incredible feeling), I have personally seen Her, (visionary), and have received messages from Her. (locutions). They were intended for me and the building of my faith but not for release to others. I am sure that there are many others who have experienced these wonderful insights and gifts. I do not consider myself special in any way but rather, most unworthy.

I pray that we, Her children understand this title for Her and are not led to misunderstanding. Peace and Goodness to all who read this.

For the same reason that Christians all over the world make prayers of intercession to all of the saints - the doctrine of the communion of saints. The faithful in heaven and on earth are one mystical body, with Christ for their head. All that is of interest to one part is of interest to the rest, and each helps the rest. We invoke the saints and pray for other members of the body, and the saints in heaven pray for us. It is good and useful to have recourse to their prayers, aid, and help for benefits from God, through His Son Jesus Christ our Lord, Who alone is our Redeemer and Savior.

Every Christian community the world over, with the exception of the churches from the Protestant movement, do this, even those separated from other Christians since the middle of the first millennium.

How can Mary hear all the prayers of a billion people and more? Wouldn’t that make her omnipresent, omnipotent and omniscient, because she will need to be everywhere, hear every prayer, and remember every prayer, respectively, before she can pass it on to Jesus, then to God?

We know from the Bible that spiritual beings are free of our constraints in body and time, be those beings angel or men. You certainly know that Satan acts simultaneously against those billion or more people to try bring them to his damnation and punishment.

We do not believe that God places Mary, or any saint, below this perfidious demon in power or in attributes.

If the saints in heaven, including the Virgin Mary, receive our prayers indirectly, for instance by means of angels, then it would not be necessary for them to be omnipresent nor omniscient. In fact, Sacred Scripture (Tobit 12:12; Revelation 8:3; Genesis 24:22) suggests that angels take our prayers to heaven. If that is the case, then it is not too hard to imagine that when a prayer is made to a saint in heaven, an angel takes it down, goes to the saint in heaven, waits his turn if necessary, reads the prayer to the saint, the saint petitions Jesus, then the saint hears the prayer read by the next angel until all the prayers addressed to them are heard.

Since Our Lord chose to come to us through Mary, why would it seem offensive to anyone that He would accept & approve of us going to Him through Mary?

Full of Grace
Fill my mouth with the grace of thy sweetness, O Mary, and enlighten my mind, O Full of Grace! Move my tongue and lips to sing thy praises gladly, and especially that sweet melody which the Angel Gabriel addressed to thee, most pure Virgin Mother of God. Help me to salute thee in that prayer which is most worthy and which contains nourishment and assistance for every soul. Grant to me, thy humble servant, to praise thee and devoutly greet thee: Hail Mary, full of grace. Amen.

Prayer to the Blessed Virgin Mary
O Immaculate and wholly pure Virgin Mary, Mother of God, Queen of the world, hope of those who are in despair, thou art the joy of the Saints; thou art the peacemaker between sinners and God; thou art the advocate of the abandoned, the secure haven of those who are on the sea of the world; thou art the consolation of the world, the ransom of slaves, the comfortress of the afflicted, the salvation of the universe. O great Queen, we take refuge in thy protection: ‘We have no confidence but in thee, O most faithful Virgin.’ After God thou art all our hope. We bear the name of thy servants; allow not the enemy to drag us to hell. I salute thee, O great Mediatress of peace, between men and God, Mother of Jesus our Lord, who is the love of all men and of God, to whom be honor and benediction with the Father and the Holy Ghost. Amen.

~Saint Ephrem (306-373), deacon and Doctor of the Church

Agreed, did not the stewards at Canna go thru the Holy Mother to Jesus, who wasn’t even the host for the Wedding! Did Christ stomp his feet and get upset with the stewards? Maybe irritated with the request from his Mother; however, did he not honor that request?
Right there, in scripture, by our Lord’s own acts, he shows us his love and respect for his mother. Why would we not follow his lead? We follow his lead for Baptism. We follow his lead for the Mass. Why not here?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.