The consequence(s) of illicitness

Howdy All,

I apologize if this subject has been broached before, but I couldn’t find it in the forums.

What happens, spiritually, to someone who participates in a valid but illicit sacrament?

I fully understand the difference between valid and invalid and licit and illicit. My question is not concerned with the difference, plenty of forum discussion on that one already. My question has to do with the consequences of the illicit part. Examples for clarification:

Illicit Mass
The priest has been suspended. He performs Mass anyway and confects the Eucharist. I, with full knowledge that he is suspended and that the Mass is illicit and having no mitigating reason to take the Eucharist at that time, take the Eucharist and ingest it. Did I just sin? Did he sin? Since the Eucharist conveys forgiveness for venial sins how does that play into this? Did I just excommunicate myself? Did the priest? Who can absolve that excommunication?

Illicit Reconciliation
The priest was ordained under the Old Catholic Church, but under a valid line of apostolic succession. All of his sacraments are valid but illicit. Knowing this and without having any mitigating reasons to need Confession at that moment I go to Confession under this priest. Did I just sin? Did he sin? Since valid confession literally absolves sin, what the heck does that mean for the people who receive it illicitly. What if the person expressly confessed going to that priest for confession as a sin, while confessing their sins to that priest? And they fully intended not to do it again? Did I just excommunicate myself? Did the priest? Who can absolve that excommunication?

Thank you for the help everyone!

it depends on the situation.

in certain cases, the faithful can attend an illicit mass or orthodox liturgy, if there is no mass available, for example, such as in china where there is an underground church. or on the brink of death and there is no other priest to administer sacraments. however we are not obliged to attend such a mass if we don’t want to.

other than that, I am not sure why someone would go to one knowingly, but I am not sure whether or not it would constitute grave matter. probably depends on the intention. if one starts to agree with something that is illicit, yes I could see that as being grave matter.

I don’t think this warrants ex-communications though.

as for the priests, I think it would be generally be considered grave matter if they disobeyed their suspension or created schism

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.