The contraceptive pill?

My doctor suggested that I go on the contraceptive pill to regulate my periods, obviously i understand that the Catholic Church has a strict no contraception rule but I'm not sexually active so would it still be seen as wrong?

The pill doesn't actually "regulate" your period, in that it won't fix it. It does give you a false "cycle" via artificial hormones that make your body think it's pregnant. They you get a breakthrough bleeding when those hormones are removed. When you come off the pill, your cycles will likely still be irregular. The pill can make getting pregnant latter on.

You might look into finding a doctor that will investigate why you are irregular (and by irregular I wonder what you mean--women can have cycles anywhere from 28-36+ days and it be regular) and try to solve it instead of using a medication to cover the problem.

omsoul.com has a listing of NFP doctors
popepaulvi.com/home.html specializes in helping women with these issues

Sometimes diet, suppliments and exercise can also help:
Fertility, Cycles and Nutrition by Marilyn Shannon

the church is against contraception

the pill can regulate hormones BUT is often a poor way of doing it as the above poster said

also please be aware of the dangers of the pills not only to your own body and hormonal/mental state (women on the pill have been discovered to attract different men without any other life change) the pill also does horrible things the water table because the human body cannot deal with the hormone.

Like Jennifer said above… the pill works by *tricking *your body… it does not “regulate” your period at all, it creates a fake one and covers up the “symptoms” of irregularity (maybe go into more detail of what you’re experiencing… just cycle-length issues or severe pain??)… it doesn’t actually “cure” the cause of the irregular cycle (again “irregular” lengths are rarely a problem on their own)…

My suggestion is to really ask yourself if this is necessary? If you are experiencing extreme pain (not just cycle-length issues) then ask to be referred to a Reproductive Endocrinologist, or try to get in contact with an NFP-only doctor (links above in Jennifer’s post)… usually they are more trained in getting to the root cause of the issue rather than just covering up the symptoms with the pill.

Also, consider checking out this site…thepillkills.com/

There are some other threads about this topic.

Here’s one from the CAF apologists:

Is it OK to take birth control pills for medical reasons?

It is morally permissible to take the pill if it is done for medical reasons with contraception being the unintended side effect.

You really want to look into it more, though. Since the pill is so common these days, it is an easy first choice for some doctors to prescribe, but that doesn’t mean it is the best choice. I would suggest talking to a trusted priest and perhaps even finding a good Catholic doctor that you could discuss the specifics with.

[quote="hank22333, post:1, topic:194446"]
My doctor suggested that I go on the contraceptive pill to regulate my periods, obviously i understand that the Catholic Church has a strict no contraception rule but I'm not sexually active so would it still be seen as wrong?

[/quote]

No, it's not seen as wrong by the Church. The Church forbids the use of contraceptives for the use of them as contraceptives, but they do NOT forbid the use of contraceptives to treat medical conditions. Contraceptives usually do a pretty good job of treating the symptoms of very heavy bleeding, and debilitating menstrual pain. If your doctor recommends that you use contraception to control erratic periods, it is not against the rules of the Church. When in doubt, as your priest.

• Humanae Vitae states, “the Church does not consider at all illicit the use of those therapeutic means necessary to cure bodily diseases, even if a foreseeable impediment to procreation should result there from—provided such impediment is not directly intended for any motive whatsoever” (HV 15).*

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.