The Convert Demographics of CAF (Mid-2018)

• Eastern Apostolic Christian (e.g. Eastern Orthodox, Oriental Orthodox, Assyrian, etc.)
  • Western Apostolic Christian (e.g. Polish National Catholic, Old Catholic, etc.)
  • Historical Protestant (e.g. Lutheran, Reformed, Presbyterian, Methodist, etc.)
  • Anglican
  • Radical Reformed (e.g. Anabaptist, Mennonite, etc.)
  • Modern Congregationalist (e.g. Baptist, Non-denominational, “Evangelical”, etc.)
  • Holiness Movement (e.g. Pentecostal, Seventh Day Adventist, etc.)
  • Stone-Campbell Restorationist Movement
  • Another relatively modern quasi-Christian sect with unorthodox beliefs (e.g. Mormonism, Jehovah’s Witnesses, Christian Scientist, etc.)
  • Judaism
  • Islam
  • Eastern Religion (e.g. Hinduism, Buddhism, Daoism, etc.)
  • Tribal Religion (including Shinto)
  • Other

0 voters

I know this topic has been done countless times before, but that should be expected with a dynamic membership. I’ve been lurking here for about a year or so and finally registered a few weeks ago. Let’s give this another go:

If you converted to the Catholic Church, which religious tradition did you convert from? For the sake of this poll, if you’ve bounced around from various traditions, please select the answer that’s closest to the religious tradition you identified with immediately before your conversion. By all means, explain your entire journey to the Faith in a text response. :slight_smile:

Immediately before I converted, I identified as a Confessional Lutheran. I admit I’m hesitant to call myself that since I wasn’t completely on board with everything the Lutherans taught (I was shaky about the Real Presence), but it was the denomination I was closest to and I intended before my conversion to solve the dilemma in favor of Lutheranism.

EDIT: Spelling

This is one poll I can skip! :laughing:

I’m a cradle Catholic and have never converted to another form of Christianity although I’m strongly attracted to Eastern Orthodoxy.

Former Presbyterian here. I converted to the Catholic Faith after spending two years studying the Church Fathers.

I’m more or less a protestant. I don’t think the reformers were entirely right, though (i.e Sola Scriptura).

Ah! Ex Methodist here. Looks like Holy Mother Church is getting us (we Protestants) back. :slight_smile:

Rebellious teenagers always come home eventually. :stuck_out_tongue:

Usually when we need (spiritual) food and (soul-saving) “cash”.

There’s always Eastern Catholicism if you want Eastern liturgy / spirituality without ceasing to be Catholic ;).

Way too few choices! The Handbook of Christian Denominations demonstrates a minimum of 224 disagreeing denominations.

However, I was a non-affiliated believer, non-baptized.

I put Anglican, as my both my parents were baptised Anglicans in an Anglican country, but were non-practising and I myself was never baptised (until I became a Catholic!)

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.