The craze on Fiction

I came to this site for questions on cremation and burial laws of the Catholic church. While I am waiting for answers I browse other questions. I am amazed at the lack of faith, trust and self control I gather from some of these needed requests.

I just want to say - Dan Brown is a man, who writes books, a man who writes books for monetary gain and popularity. I’m not saying he is wrong to earn a living, but people please have some common sense and put his novel’s in perspective. Harry Potter books became popular because she had the right advertising that got to the puppet strings that which the reader is attracted to. We as Catholic’s need to put these fictions in the context that they were sold for and that would be Fame and success driven accomplishments - They are NOT the word according to our God.

My suggestion is go ahead and read a riveting novel and then put down the thrill of a good mystery and detective work and pick up the Bible, take a deep breath and at last you will find some pretty good stories in it’s volumes. Don’t let anything shake you from God and his teachings - Don’t let anything make you wonder if the Bible is true - come to your own conclusions without a nudge from someone who made alot of money to get you enthralled and confused to question your faith teachings. Believe in prayer and believe in yourself then no one who worships fame will be able to move the strong hold of God’s faithful.

I pray for a peaceful rest for our departed Pontiff and I hope that our new succesor will be blessed with the capabilities to take hold of all Catholic’s and all people who believe in God and to have the same advertising ability that these top selling novelist’s had, so that God’s love will grab hold of the weak and bring them back to faith.

I believe that God will deliver us from the media, and I realize it’s hard to have faith sometimes especially after you read the paper - but the alternative to belief is - well read the paper, pretty bad huh. Our united faith and prayer can set this world back on track - just hang in there ! He wouldn’t have let his son die for us to just give up on us.

[quote=VAP]I
I just want to say - Dan Brown is a man, who writes books, a man who writes books for monetary gain and popularity. I’m not saying he is wrong to earn a living, but people please have some common sense and put his novel’s in perspective. Harry Potter books became popular because she had the right advertising that got to the puppet strings that which the reader is attracted to. We as Catholic’s need to put these fictions in the context that they were sold for and that would be Fame and success driven accomplishments - They are NOT the word according to our God.

[/quote]

The man wrote a work of fiction and I suggest the Church treat it as such.

If the Church wants to really investigate a fictional matter passed off as fact it can turn to Newton and determine why he felt he could shift the rotational value of the Earth from 24 hours to a fictional creation of 23 hours 56 min and not do any damage to the noble tradition of astronomy as part of the Christian heritage.

If you want sucess driven accomplishments through fiction, try either Isaac or Albert and their disciples.

The fact is, in our uncultured age, most people get their information from movies and novels like “Left Behind” and “The Duh Vinci Code” --both wildly popular fiction. Then they go around acting like they are experts on a subject since “It was in a book so it must be true.”

Sounds stupid, but it’s true. Here’s a short article that explains it well:

carl-olson.com/articles/la_envoy73_tdvc.html

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.