the cristeros

So I’m in a spanish immersion school here in Mexico. I expected the school to be rather liberal by american standards, and I was more or less correct. The history books pretty much repeat the black legend line for line inquisition bla bla bla… anti-science bla bla bla… Spain was backwards and violant bla bla bla. Well, when the subject of the revolutionary constitution came up, I ventured to ask about the Cristeros. As it turns out the Teacher’s grandfather had witnessed a priest being murdered by the authorities during the war. You would think that would make her sympathetic, but no. While people down here seem to be less venomous about the Church, the general opinion of hipocracy and control are just as pervasive. Her response, as far as I could understand it, boiled down to: Yeah, they killed a lot of priests, and I suppose that’s bad, but [insert standard liberal boiler plate here], and yes, she mentioned the sex scandal…

The scary thing about the situation down here is that people seem to be well catechized and yet chose to reject the Church. I started my question by bringing the law against priestly vows, she tried to explain to me that priests couldn’t marry, at which point I clarified to her that I wa catholic and understood that, she went on to explain the Idea of the priest being an alter christus (without the latin), which surprised me.

I just don’t know what to do…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.