The cult of Ahn Sahn Hong and the parable of the fig tree

I was reading an article by the Church of God (usa.watv.org/truth/truth_life/content_figtree.asp) and it a couple of things are mentioned that I was hoping to get a bit of clarification on. This particular cult believes that a man named Ahnsanghong is Christ come again, and they base this loosely on some very far fetched biblical interpretation.

The first is Hebrews 9:28. I know it mentions Christ coming a 2nd time but there’s no mention of a 3rd or 4th time (the 2nd time being the end of the world i suppose)

And what does the fig tree represent in the parable of the fig tree?

Thanks all

I know that, according to Judaism, the fig may have been the forbidden fruit in the Garden of Eden. Other candidates include etrog or citron, nut, grape, even wheat. Various justifications are given for each possibility. The Torah does not explicitly mention the fruit as that would result in shame for that food. (Yes, foods can be shamed! This is one of the reasons why the challah bread is covered when lighting the Friday night candles: so that it does not take offense at the brightness of the lights.) According to Jewish sources, the apple became the designated culprit in the Christian Bible because of the etymology of the word, which relates to “mal” or evil.

For many years, I have thought that the Tree of Life was God’s love and life poured into our hearts.

The Tree of knowledge of Good and Evil is our human mind or heart.

When our thoughts and opinions rule, God’s love and beauty drives us away from Him.

Fig trees in the Bible often represents the word of God. The phrase “under the fig tree” is often used for people who study the word of God and place themselves under God’s law.

Philip found Nathan’a-el, and said to him, “We have found him of whom Moses in the law and also the prophets wrote, Jesus of Nazareth, the son of Joseph.” Nathan’a-el said to him, “Can anything good come out of Nazareth?” Philip said to him, “Come and see.” Jesus saw Nathan’a-el coming to him, and said of him, “Behold, an Israelite indeed, in whom is no guile!” Nathan’a-el said to him, “How do you know me?” Jesus answered him, "Before Philip called you, when you were under the fig tree, I saw you." Nathan’a-el answered him, “Rabbi, you are the Son of God! You are the King of Israel!” (John 1:45:49)

Nathaniel was a student of God’s word - under the fig tree - and correctly understood how Moses, the law and the prophets all pointed to the Messiah. Nathanial was able to recognize Jesus for who was because of his understanding of the Hebrew Scriptures.

-Tim-

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.