The Cure of Peter's Mother in Law

If my memory is correct, when Jesus healed people He usually spoke to them and gave them instructions e.g. your faith has healed you, go and sin, no more or tell no one. However, when He healed Peter’s mother in law, He simply touched her, did not speak to her or give her instructions.

Matthew 8:14-15 "Jesus entered the house of Peter, and saw his mother-in-law lying in bed with a fever. He touched her hand, the fever left her, and she rose and waited on him.

Mark 1:29-31 “On leaving the synagogue he entered the house of Simon and Andrew with James and John. Simon’s mother-in-law lay sick with a fever. They immediately told him about her. He approached, grasped her hand, and helped her up. Then the fever left her and she waited on them.”

Luke 4:38-39 “After he left the synagogue, he entered the house of Simon. Simon’s mother-in-law was afflicted with a severe fever, and they interceded with him about her. He stood over her, rebuked the fever, and it left her. She got up immediately and waited on them.”

I wondered whether she was the only person Jesus healed in this way? It struck me that she must have been an awesome woman because there was no need of words or spiritual guidance and once healed, she immediately waited on Jesus and the disciples.

This must be where the habit of keeping mother-in-laws of whatever genus at an acceptable social distance may have originated?

It doesn’t really say why Jesus healed Peter’s mother-in-law. It could have been to increase Peter’s faith (in Matthew & Mark, this happened shortly after the call of Peter; in Luke, this happens the day before). Maybe it’s how Peter was later able to be touched by the Father’s Wisdom and know that Jesus was not only the Messiah, but also the Son of God. It is kind of strange, because it’s also the only healing Jesus does that’s pretty much just skimmed over - as in, it happened, but it wasn’t really that iimportant. It’s almost as if Peter’s wife was always being like, “Don’t forget, Jesus healed my mom, too!”

Just because the Bible doesn’t record that Jesus “spoke” to her, doesn’t mean that He didn’t. Jesus healed the woman with the constant bleed while on His way to the 12 year old girl that just passed away. It was her touch of Jesus’ hem that healed her. He then stopped and acknowledged it. St. John said that if all the things Jesus did were recorded, the world could not contain the books. It doesn’t seem significant in that what was said or not said is recorded but that she served them as soon as healed which is more of an example for us to follow.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.