The Da Vinci Code Movie

Please explain.

Watching this movie would be supporting the statement it makes in denying Christ’s divinity.

God Bless
Scylla

I’m going to watch the movie, but I’m thinking of buying the ticket for a different one and then just walking in…is that stealing?

[quote=RyanL]I’m going to watch the movie, but I’m thinking of buying the ticket for a different one and then just walking in…is that stealing?
[/quote]

Only if you see both movies on one ticket.

I might go see it just to find out what all the fuss is about; I’m sure some of my non-Catholic friends will see it and think it true.

I’ve always believed that the best way to proselytize is by trying to understand what the other guy thinks and why. Then I can specifically address his/her concerns.

I don’t want to financially support anyone who would promote/produce such anti-Catholicism. Carrie

I like the idea of buying the tickets for another movie and then seeing it. I’m not stealing from the theater, but neither am I supporting the makers of such a film.

But then again, I don’t know if I could even do that. I’ve voted that I’m as yet undecided. I’m interested in seeing it so I can better defend the church against such garbage.

CARose

If you want to split hairs about stealing, I would say it is stealing to pay for one movie but then going to see another.
You are not stealing from the movie theater, but from the movie makers. You are in a sense giving a donation to the maker of one particular product and then proceeding to steel from the maker of the other product.

Yup, that’s part of why I’m not even certain I could do that.

But I really don’t like the idea of supporting the makers of the Da Vinci Code movie. Perhaps I’ll wait until it’s out in video and borrow it from someone.

CARose

[quote=Roman_Army]Please explain.
[/quote]

No point in watching it.

I read the book so I could better answer some questions of friends. It was mediocre to say the least. An educated Catholic can definitely see through Dan Brown’s pretence of being educated in matters of the Church. I want to see the movie to be able to refute it (most people my age would rather watch a movie then read a book anyway) however at the same time I don’t want to support the movie. Any ideas?

I saw a BBC ducomentry on this last week. It was quite a good ducomentry, it absolutly shot holes in every part of the book. And being the BBC you can rely on a certain amount of independce. There were no “fluff” questions. like you get in any ducomentry you may see that come our in favour of the book. they were good thought provoking questions. If anyone was thinking of learning about the book so they could debunk it or defend the church or as i like to put it,“defend the truth”, but didn’t like the idea of putting money into these liars pockets this is a great program to watch. The program is called “cracking the da vinci code” I’m sure thats the name of it. if it isn’t ill come back and edit this post.

maybe i will, as a sort of penance?:smiley:

The tourists are flocking in from all parts of the world to rosslyn just like they do for the loch ness monster i much prefer old nessie, still not seen him yet though. :wink:

[quote=juancross]The tourists are flocking in from all parts of the world to rosslyn just like they do for the loch ness monster i much prefer old nessie, still not seen him yet though. :wink:
[/quote]

I think there’s more turth to old nessie too.

In response to the poll, I will not watch it because it doesn’t interest me. I read the book (drivel, poorly written, thin “mystery,” and a deliberate pack of lies), and that was more than enough. I won’t waste a couple of hours of my valuable time, and money that could be better spent (donated) elsewhere.

Too bad that Tom Hanks and Ron Howard are involved in this – I respected them.

'thann

[quote=thann]Too bad that Tom Hanks and Ron Howard are involved in this – I respected them.

'thann
[/quote]

I agree. It really disheartened me when I heard they were doing this movie. sigh

In response to the poll, I probably won’t see it. I haven’t read the book, but I do have the book The DaVinci Hoax on my ever-growing list of books to read sometime in the relative near future.

the Catholic Church is strong enough to withstand this egregious attack, but the book and movie also attack history, and that I will not stand for or support. the muse Clio will be revenged

[quote=misterX]I saw a BBC ducomentry on this last week. It was quite a good ducomentry, it absolutly shot holes in every part of the book. And being the BBC you can rely on a certain amount of independce. There were no “fluff” questions. like you get in any ducomentry you may see that come our in favour of the book. they were good thought provoking questions. If anyone was thinking of learning about the book so they could debunk it or defend the church or as i like to put it,“defend the truth”, but didn’t like the idea of putting money into these liars pockets this is a great program to watch. The program is called “cracking the da vinci code” I’m sure thats the name of it. if it isn’t ill come back and edit this post.
[/quote]

Guessing your from the U.K, if your talking about the bbc, when abouts was it on, and do you know how to go about seeing it?

Also, its documentary :stuck_out_tongue: :thumbsup:

I voted undecided. I won’t go out of my way to watch it, so in that sense I agree with the “no”.

However, I woldn’t go out of my way to avoid it because I am firm enough in my faith to understand that it is fiction (I will not however waste my money supporting it either).

It would be dangerous to say “it’s just fiction” however, because the author proclaims it to be truth, which can be dangerous.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.