The dangers of witchcraft

Hi everyone. What are the main dangers of witchcraft? I know that witchcraft involves dabbling with the Occult and demons. I know that it can sometimes lead to demonic possession. But demonic possession is so rare, isn't it? What are the main and most common dangers of practicing witchcraft? :shrug::confused:

[quote="Holly3278, post:1, topic:178919"]
Hi everyone. What are the main dangers of witchcraft? I know that witchcraft involves dabbling with the Occult and demons. I know that it can sometimes lead to demonic possession. But demonic possession is so rare, isn't it? What are the main and most common dangers of practicing witchcraft? :shrug::confused:

[/quote]

How can you be confused about that???

Anything that leads a person away from God and towards Satan thereby endangering their immortal soul is DANGEROUS.

I have some experience with Wicca which is also referred to as witchcraft. There are many misconceptions brought about by fiction and Hollywood.

On the surface they seem polytheistic. In actuality they believe that there is only one source and that Gods and Goddesses represent different aspects of the Source. It is similar to us praying to different saints and angels for specific requests. The Wiccan rule of three states that whatever you do to others will be returned to you threefold. That is their version of do unto others as you would have them do unto you. Charity to others will be returned three fold. Likewise with harm done to others. The Wiccans say harm thee no one.

Wiccans do not worship Satan or invoke demons. Wicca is mostly derived from ancient Celtic beliefs. The Celts borrowed greatly from the Greeks and Egyptians. They believe in elemental forces that comprise all things in this world and other planes. They know that demons exist. They are not friendly with demons and consider them adversaries. Any ritual begins with a ceremony designed to protect the participants from demons.

They are similar to Native Americans and Eastern religions in that they believe in a universal energy that binds all of God's creation. Because of the "oneness" of the universe, they respect all of God's creation. All living things are honored and each one is a gift from God.

Wiccans practice spells. They believe that the plants and animals are gifts from God and that each has a physical, spiritual, or mental use for man. Plants are particularly useful because of their "spiritual" properties. During the practice of a spell different objects are used, mainly to help the witch set his mind in the proper state, and various herbs are employed which have the spiritual properties to aid in the goal of the spell.

The Wiccans believe that truth is subjective. They believe that truth depends upon an individual's past circumstances including past lives. They encourage people to seek and to find their own truth. A witch told me that my truth was Jesus Christ and the Catholic faith. She said that there was a reason that I was born into a Catholic family and also a reason that she was born into a family of witches.

I felt that I needed to explain a bit about witchcraft before addressing the question about dangers. I have found that many consider witches to be devil worshipers. That is not true. Also, there are bad among all groups, including witches. The main danger is that if a person is following witchcraft, he is not accepting Jesus. We know that the way to the Father is through the Son. Their chances of salvation are limited. They have the same chance as a Buddhist, Muslim, or other non-Christian. We know that God loves all of us.

The man lie of modern-day witchcraft is that there is “black magic” which is used for evil and “white magic” that is used for good. That is a lie, there are only curses. Period. They both come from the same source and that is not God. When you get involved in the occult you open yourself up to powers that are no in compliance with God. You may not become possessed, but you almost certainly will become “oppressed.” Even when someone claims they are using “white” magic to do good, they are not, they are merely binding you to a curse and the outcome is determined by whatever power or demon is attached to that.
Even if something has no ill effect on you…it is a foolish waste of time given to false devotions that could have been spent honoring God instead.

God gave us everything we need in Jesus - and he is available to us in prayer 24/7…why would we seek outside knowledge?

There is a good sermon on witchcraft here. See #5.

Very dangerous. Damnation, diabolical activity of all kinds and ranges, from partial to full possession, obsession, misfortune, ill health. You do not want to live or be near people involved in it.

Shin is wise man and I thank him for the warning. I do not think that such a strong warning is justified. I suspect that the warning stems from scripture such as Deuteronomy 18:10-11. The bible mentions witchcraft only to condemn it. In the same sentence as witchcraft it mentions divination, sorcery and necromancy.

Wicca is the largest group that identifies itself as witches. However, they are a modern religion. The bible does not say in detail which practices of witches are abominable. I suspect that the witches that are written about in the bible are not the Wiccans of today. I have not known witches to practice sorcery. Some may practice divination, but it is not a mainstay of their beliefs.

Is it possible that the warnings of the bible and of other Christians are not referring to the modern practice of witchcraft? Does anyone know what practices the witches, referred to in the bible, used? Were they the same as the Wiccans?

Pope Benedict said, “Believing that each person is created in the image of God, the Catholic Church hopes all people will come to know the Gospel, but its primary approach to other religions and cultures must be one of tolerance and openness.” I have chosen to tolerate and respect my brothers and sisters of different faiths. Through openness I have learned that our similarities out number our differences. Am I making a big mistake?

I’m not confused about it. I used the confused smileys because I pretty much always use those when I ask a question. :wink:

I agree. It is very dangerous and it is best to stay well away from anyone involved in witchcraft. I think that parents need to be especially careful because teenagers often get interested in witchcraft and begin to dabble in it. That and the media likes to portray witchcraft as this good thing in shows such as “Sabrina, The Teenage Witch”. We all know, though, that witchcraft is a bad thing. And let us heed the Bible’s warning:

(Leviticus 19:26 RSV) "You shall not eat any flesh with the blood in it. You shall not practice augury or witchcraft.

(Galatians 5:19 NAB) Now the works of the flesh are obvious: immorality, impurity, licentiousness,
(Galatians 5:20 NAB) idolatry, sorcery, hatreds, rivalry, jealousy, outbursts of fury, acts of selfishness, dissensions, factions,
(Galatians 5:21 NAB) occasions of envy, drinking bouts, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I warned you before, that those who do such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.

Quite aside from the aspects of witchcraft which are obviously bad ideas (summoning demons and suchlike, which just goes against all common sense) even the less immediately alarming parts of magic make a fundamental error in their perception of the universe. The magical universe is essentially a mechanistic universe, in which performing the correct rituals will cause the entities with which one imagines one is dealing to do one’s bidding. It is possible to hold a pagan world view and have genuine reverence for the beings one considers gods (although I’m not advocating that, of course). However, magic will always pervert the relationship between the human and the divine, taking what should be a relationship of reverence and turning it into little more than a commercial arrangement.

MtnDwellar, I have known a number of "Wiccans," including one poor girl whose whole family practiced it and was involved in it because of her parents. All the Wiccans I've met were emotionally disturbed and very unstable people who engaged in self-destructive behaviors as well as behaviors destructive to others. From what I've seen of it, I do not even consider it to be a religion, rather it is a set of destructive practices centered on one's own will and selfish desires.

[quote="Student09, post:10, topic:178919"]
MtnDwellar, I have known a number of "Wiccans," including one poor girl whose whole family practiced it and was involved in it because of her parents. All the Wiccans I've met were emotionally disturbed and very unstable people who engaged in self-destructive behaviors as well as behaviors destructive to others. From what I've seen of it, I do not even consider it to be a religion, rather it is a set of destructive practices centered on one's own will and selfish desires.

[/quote]

I have known several Wiccans, but only became friends with one. My understanding of Wicca is primarily based upon conversations with her and reading her writings. She is the opposite of the Wiccans that you described - hence the friendship.

What is it that causes all of the Wiccans to become emotionally disturbed? According to Victoria, by percentage, Wicca is the fastest growing "religion" on earth. Is Wicca the same as the witchcraft which is mentioned in the bible? Or do they just happen to share the name - witches?

Are Wiccans people who should be avoided, as Shin and others recommend, or, are they another religion which should be met with tolerance and openness as the Pope says?

[quote="MtnDwellar, post:11, topic:178919"]

What is it that causes all of the Wiccans to become emotionally disturbed? According to Victoria, by percentage, Wicca is the fastest growing "religion" on earth.

[/quote]

I have heard the same claim from Wiccans. It might be true, I don't know - certainly one sees that New Ageism is very influential and sin is more widespread.

I don't know your friend so I can only speak from my experience. I used to have a close friend who was Wiccan. She was a very unhappy and messed up person and the friendship was harmful to me. From what I saw of her "religion" there was nothing good about it. It appeals to people because it is about power, self, and manipulating the natural and spiritual world - as opposed to self-sacrifice, suffering and reliance on God.

Just out of interest I would suggest you read the book, An Exorcist Tells His Story, by Fr. Gabriele Amorth. Read the section entitled More on Witchcraft. He makes some very good statements about what it is, and how it is harmful as well as how it opens a person to demonic influence or worse. In fact I would recommend reading the entire book, with the world today the way it is with the New Age movement gaining more and more publicity and popularity I believe it is important that as Catholics we all have at the very least a minimal degree of understanding of what the church has to say about it, as well as it being important for us to learn from those who have spent their lives fighting evil, live Fr. Amorth who is Rome's Chief Exorcist. It is an interesting read and a very inexpensive book that is widely available.

God Bless

Having considered what was written on this thread along with my own experiences I have come to a conclusion!! How rare for me. LOL

There is no central organizing body or even a single book which is followed by all Wiccans. Wicca is practiced differently by different people. My friend is all about charity and helping others. She says that her way of life calls for sacrifice. One may even be called to give until they have nothing left. Anyone would admire someone who is that unselfish.

Then there are others who are not living the same way. They are not living according God’s laws and are interested in only helping themselves. They should be avoided.

Thanks

Mtn. Dweller, you hit the nail on the head, well sort of lol. Thankfully I no longer live that lifestyle nor am I involved with any of the people or practices that I once was involved in, I was a practitioner at one time. I eventually came to a realization that there was no divide between light and dark when it comes to magic and the occult, non of it is from God and there for it all has to be evil, even if the practitioner has only the best of intentions they are opening themselves to the devils influence and to power that has evil origins. Now when I come into contact with wiccans, and occultists I do my best to explain to them the error of their ways and the dangerous life they are leading, I then attempt to convince them of the truth of the bible and the truth that is present in the holy catholic church, if they refuse to listen and see I brush the sand from my feet and move on.

I also used to be a practitioner of Wicca. I was also once a practitioner of an Occultic cult. It wasn’t a Satanic cult but we did, in reality, worship demons and the devil since we were not worshiping God. Thankfully, I am no longer involved with the Occult or witchcraft.

[quote="Holly3278, post:1, topic:178919"]

[/quote]

Who would want to even dabble in this when we have a God who loves us so! The devil is a destroyer - plain and simple. God edifies and gives us life! Trust God only!

(Not for the faint of heart)
youtube.com/watch?v=x4n9vK0_mdk

Holly, Praise God for taking you out of this situation! I am so happy that you have turned your back on it, good for you!

Beware of some of the answers on this thread from poor diluted souls who take a philosophical approach to witchcraft as if it were harmless or mis-represented.

Witchcraft like all other occult practices can and/or will open you up to all sorts of evil influence.

Obsession
Infestation
Oppression
Possession

These are dangerous but - prolonged influence by the demon can reak havoc on your life that you won’t even equate to occult practices. Which is why some people on this thread make it sound harmless and innocuous. In the long run Lucifer is behind it all.

My advice as a Mangy dog…get rid of everything you may have concerning the occult; attend mass weekly; confession at least once a month and overall - break away from this scourge.

Not all Wiccans practice witchcraft, and not all witches are Wiccans. They are both part of a movement known as NeoPaganism. That said, worshipping false gods is EVIL, whether it is by praying to the deity OR using "spells". (And not all people who worship the "deities of yore" are Wiccans. They can be Celtic Reconstructionists, Druids, Asatru, etc.)

Wiccans and other witches work spells for themselves, never to control another person. BUT, they don't know what energies they are "messing with". And that's the problem. They are either working with demons or nothing at all. And even if it's "nothing at all", they're still worshipping false gods.

The spiritual dangers have been discussed. But even if a person doesn't become infested, oppressed, etc, they are turning away from the LORD. They were instructed in the Truth, yet they are rejecting the Truth for a false religion.What will they do when they stand before the LORD?

Holly, you did the right thing by walking away from Wicca and the Occult.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.