The Dark Side

ARTHUR CHRENKOFF, who grew up in communist Poland, pens a letter to George Lucas.

You might be aware that all of us who saw the “Star Wars” trilogy throughout the communist world saw it as an entertaining, yet still nonetheless powerful commentary on the current world events. We simply couldn’t escape the conclusion that the militaristic and freedom-crushing Empire with its legions of stormtroopers is a futuristic version of the Soviet Empire, which had conquered and enslaved hundreds of millions of people like myself. …]

Apparently, however, we were wrong - we didn’t read your movies correctly. …] To you, the Empire was the United States of America, and if that’s the case, then the brave rebels could only be all those people around the world fighting the American Empire - the Castros, Che Guevaras, Ho Chi Minhs, Pol Pots, and by extension, the Brezhnevs and the Mao Tse Tungs of this world.

You’ll definitely want to read the rest

hat tip

*Over the course of the last three years, the United States and her allies have managed to depose two truly despicable regimes in Afghanistan and Iraq and today are trying to bring the gift of freedom and democracy - things that you enjoy every day probably without giving them much thought - to tens of millions of people who have never known them before. You might well think that Anakin Skywalker’s painful transformation into Darth Vader is somehow a perfect analogy for the political journey of George W Bush, but I have a sneaking suspicion that movie fans in Baghdad will have already recognized Darth Vader as one of their own - with a moustache rather than a black helmet. He, too, had two children, although they didn’t turn up quite as cute as Luke and Leia. They names were Uday and Qusay.

This is why you rarely see Lucas doing interviews: he speaks without thinking first and it never comes out right. I remember reading an article about him when Episode 1 came out and one of his remarks was he doesn’t keep up with politics that much or the news, except what he catches on the 11 o’clock news or the morning paper. He’s said for years Star Wars and the politics in the movies are based on Roman and Naploeonic society. I wouldn’t get too bent out of shape over this.

Bugger, and here was simple old me thinking it was just a good peice of science fiction. You’ll be telling me next that the Da-Vinci Code has some hidden meaning behind it as well. Is nothing sacred anymore?:smiley:

If some think they can link it up to Bush, well I’m sure they can if they really want to. If you know history, usually things tend to happen over and over and over again. Star Wars is partially beloved because it is an epic to to the way humans are.

When people feel they are being attacked then usually there is a limit of freedom. If a nation feels threatened usually there is a point where someone says, “either your for us or against us.” Do you think, someone would probably be thinking, “sure many don’t care for us and want to do us harm. But you as a lukewarm friend, I’d rather you sit on the fence til you have some more clearity on who the victor is.”

I"m not saying that it is good. Being defensive always puts one in the position of closing oneself up, and seperates us as a people. As Jesus says we are not one because we are of the world. But while it might be one thing to take persecution, it is another thing to stand by and see others harm the weak.

[quote=gilliam]Over the course of the last three years, the United States and her allies have managed to depose two truly despicable regimes in Afghanistan and Iraq and today are trying to bring the gift of freedom and democracy -

[/quote]

You are the Propaganda King! Hands down, man. Bush must really love people who believe everything he says despite so much evidence to the contrary.

Are you still pretending to be a conservative? Or have you come to terms with your liberalism…using government power to remake the world in our image…how conservative :rolleyes: !!!

Not sure I ever pretended to be a conservative.

[quote=gilliam]Not sure I ever pretended to be a conservative.
[/quote]

oh…mon ami…

you would un bien consevative :thumbsup:

[quote=aimee]oh…mon ami…

you would un bien consevative :thumbsup:
[/quote]

I don’t like labels. I would rather just be me.

[quote=gilliam]I don’t like labels. I would rather just be me.
[/quote]

Je comprends :slight_smile:

Thats better.

[quote=aimee]Je comprends :slight_smile:
[/quote]

merci

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.