The Day the Mass Changed: How & Why

adoremus.org/0310Benofy.html

Sadly, this is not fiction.

Thanks. Good article. When exactly did the acceptance of Protestant hymns become acceptable?

Also why wasn’t any priest or bishop interested enough to stop the dismanteling of his church when this came about? If some of the people were shocked, why weren’t the pastors many of whom built these churches?

Could it be when we started “accepting” hymns that were created by masons and Lutherans?

Why is it considered a Good Thing to judge something by where it came from, rather than by what it says?

Because in the church I’m attending I’ve yet to hear a “Catholic” hymn. I’m willing to incorporate some of the Protestant hymns. I think “Amazing Grace” is wonderful and moving even more so if you know its history. Like the “Battle Hymn of the Republic” which was a no-no but Robert Kennedy had it at his funeral. I have a problem with “Lord of the Dance” a Shaker hymn. Shakers were a cult, a rather kookie cult but made great furniture. When I looked up its history, the composer apparently was influenced by Shiva. I don’t know in what way or how, but that’s pagan.
Dance also says many things but we don’t have it as part of our Mass or religious services.

There are far too many loopholes. Gregorian chant is supposed to have pride of place at Mass, but there are enough allowable options to keep it out of Mass for the foreseeable future.

I prefer the music used at Daily Mass. :wink:

What is Catholic origin? Do you think the many things we do in our rituals today are Catholic in origin?

Sigh.

Tonight at the vigil Mass we had a vocal solo setting of the Statue of Liberty poem during the Offertory, and then a fiddle solo on “Ashokan Farewell” during Communion, neither of which has any religious content whatsoever.

I’d rather sing a good ol’ Lut’eran hymn.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.