The day we see Jesus Christ face to face

Do you from time to time ponder about the minutes after your „Death“?

Most push this idea very far off them. Don’t want to hear!
What about you?
Afraid of seeing God, or looking forward to it?
Or even not believing that we do see Jesus Christ right after we died?

Jesus Christ told us in Luke 12,20: ‘You fool! This very night your soul (which is our life) will be required back from you, but who will get what you have prepared?’

Such, we ought to (to speak in the Scouts terms) Be Prepared.

This of course includes an intensive being aware of the fact, that we defintely WILL see God - see Jesus Christ. If "This very night“ or in 50 years, doesn’t really matter. When we see Jesus Christ, we won’t care if we where very lively on earth 5 minutes ago, or 5 decades ago. All that counts then, is >GOD AND I<

And there will be a extremely compelling attraction to stay with God - be what there may have been in our life on earth. To all - earthly disbelievers, as believers.

But then, to those who refused Christ, there is a unscalable wall between God and the individual, who will hear the eternally devastating verdict of Mt 7,23: ‘I never knew you. Go away from me, you lawbreaker.

Now - ok - we confess in the Creed, that God (Jesus Christ) judges:
He will come again in glory to judge the living and the dead.
Hence many think we „R.I.P.“ (unconsciously) until the Day of Judgement.

That’s definitely not so, for Jesus promised the man right of Him on the cross, to be TODAY in heaven together with Christ in Luke 23,43. Hence ALL BELIEVERS will be right with Christ when they left their body.

Believing Christians all do believe in the one and only alive God and in Christ’s doctrine, so we don’t have to fear suchlike thing. We won’t have to wait until Last Judgement. Else these Christ rescued from „Purgatory“ - from the other heaven far off God - often called „on Abraham’s bosom“ (where Abraham himself was too) wouldn’t have existed, but still R.I.P.)

In other words, the day we die - disregarding when - we will see Jesus Christ - our loving friend and judge - face to face. We believers will. Disbeliever won’t - they actually R.I.P til Judgement Day.
Let’s be honest. Do we hope so - (that we see Jesus Christ right in our „death“) do we we believe so, or are we absolutely sure that this will be so…

If that’s the case then, we ought to look forward with joy and longing for God, who made us believers his Brothers and Sisters, which God The Son when He was with us, clearly confirmed. Sister or Brother in Christ is the Believer, who lives in God. Jesus Christ often enough called these who believed in Him, His Brothers. So, let’s look forward to the day when we see Jesus Christ face to face. We definitely will! (Even soon).

Yours
Bruno

i just hope i’ll’ve gone to confession & said a rosary w/in 48 hours or so of said day…

hopefully, Mary will sneak me in via a side door, maybe i won’t have to meet Her Son “face to face” until i’m already in the “Door” ;):slight_smile:

I am probably coming to the end of my years on this earth. I hope I will die in a state of grace and be allowed one last hour in prayer.

When that time comes to face Jesus, I will be prostrate on the ground, with my face in the sand. When He says, “Why should I let you into my Heaven.” My answer will be, “I do not deserve Heaven, but upon your grace and mercy according to your Divine Justice. Do with me what you will.”

I’ve thought about this. There’s a pop Christian song “I Can Only Imagine” that asks
Surrounded by Your glory
What will my heart feel
Will I dance for you Jesus
Or in awe of You be still
Will I stand in your presence
Or to my knees will I fall
Will I sing hallelujah
Will I be able to speak at all

My answers: still, on my knees (maybe my face), silent. Fortunately, at that point I won’t have to remember how to breathe…

Several months ago I had a dream that I was dying in a violent way (it was such a weird, weird dream), and had merely a few seconds before I passed out from blood loss. I thought, in my dream, Okay, I only have a couple of thoughts left. How do I use them? … Jesus, I love you! I love you, Jesus! Then I woke up. I just hope I’ll be able to remember that when the time comes.

Hopefully.

I often wonder what it would be like to see Our Lord. I can’t wait to see Him but I really want to die in a state of grace.

The only thing in the original post I’m wondering about is the comment that both believers and unbelievers would have a desire to stay with God… I thought that if someone is not in a state of grace, they would want to flee from God when they see Him? St Catherine of Siena said that people kind of know where they are going right when they die and those who are not in a state of grace see God according to their own soul. However maybe there could be a feeling of God’s goodness at the same time, and yet an awareness of one’s will being against Him. It’s very scary and sad.

If we’re in a state of grace though, I don’t think we should be extremely scared of death. Jesus wanted Gabrielle Bossis, a Catholic mystic, to think of it as the Meeting with Him. It is a moment He is waiting for and it will be extremely beautiful and special for those who will be saved :slight_smile: we need to take it very seriously but I also believe we need to trust God to help us, He wants our salvation even more than we do!

1 Like

Coming home

1 Like

Pope Benedict said something to the effect that we don’t have to worry about the second coming of Christ because He comes to us every day in Holy Communion. I think about that a lot! He’s right here right now! We see Him, touch Him, love Him in His full being right now! So I’m hoping when I die He will say, “Oh hi! I know you–we have talked and have embraced each other every day for many years! So glad to see you again!” :o

that’s a great post! + :thumbsup:

Here’s the thing.

When we die we have no control over the decomposition of our bodies. It’s very rare to be an incorrupt Saint.

When we die we have no control over our souls. God decides what to do with our soul. I imagine most will end up in Purgatory.

In Purgatory I believe our souls can pray for those on earth.

So given God is in charge after death, just let God be in charge before and during death.

Live your life as His Servant. Good to go!

What if I told you that if you go to Mass and Adoration you DO see Jesus face to face.

You don’t see Christ face to face in the Mass. You even don’t, when you receive the Holy Communion. Many unworthy get it. But even if we are as worthy as can be, we won’t see Christ face to face, until after our death, when we are judged (or not judged) - John 3,18 The one who believes in him is not judged.
Jesus told the people around Him in Mt 13,17: Many prophets and righteous people longed to see what you see but did not see it, and to hear what you hear but did not hear it. Similar we read in among others Heb 1,2: ……… God has spoken to us in His Son, whom He appointed heir of all things, and through whom He created the world.
Meaning they did see and hear God, “The Father and I is one” but were not aware of what they saw and heard.
Hence; - after Christ’s ascension to heaven, no-one ever saw Christ again in his time on earth, and no-one will see Christ again, before we stand before Christ’s throne, where it’s decided, if or not we’ll see God in the Holy Trinity in beatific view - face to face.

yours
Bruno

We will judged after death. Also, Jesus has appeared to saints in apparitions that have been approved.Also, since the Eucharist is Jesus, I can say I see Jesus, but in human body, no.

Actually I thought you sure write exactly this :thumbsup:

True - there are quite a few Saints who had the grace to see Jesus Christ. Even modern people of our time, such as Faustina. Still - least Saints did.

Average believers and People like you and me are far away of suchlike sanctity and holiness.
But still - NO - you and me and all who are not exceptionally gifted, real Saints, will here on earth never get the grace of seeing Christ, even when “worthily” receiving the Holy Eucharist. All that “worthy” we can never get. Actually no-one is worthy ever - not even Saints are. Holy Mary definitely was, and most likely St. John (Baptist as well as Evangelist) where, but hardly anyone else.

Still - humans get the grace of God; - to be able to be in connection to God and to know God as far as God revealed Himself to us, and was revealed by Jesus Christ, when He was among us in flesh.

Let’s work, that our believe is at least halve the size of a mustard seed, so we receive the grace of God to finally enter heaven. That’s a huge lot already.

But let’s not tell such idea like “I can say I see Jesus” to doubters or disbelievers or in public forums. For else they take even more fun of belief, and then it’s our fault that they blaspheme God.

Yours
Bruno

Now - the word INCORRUPT 's got two meanings. One is; undergoing no decomposition.
Decomposition of our body though, won’t be our thought. We won’t bother what happens to our coat or “diving-suit” we needed to get along in the materal world.
After the funeral of my son Björn who died when he was 26 (presumed murder). I was never on the grave again. Many asked me why. I replied; because he never cares about this body of his - so why should I. It’s removed tomorrow anyhow after 20 years of having existed. First time I was there, was these days, when I took that attached picture. Before I had never seen it. I was shocked, that the cross was much different from what I had ordered. The picture shows the grave left as it was for 20 years, - on the right I photoshoped how I had ordered it.
Björn was a rock musician. The white guitar was the very first one he had. He sold it to fans of his, later bought it back. We put it on his grave.

Sure so. But let’s not think purgatory is a place of fire and horror as in art pictured. It’s “simply” a heaven in absence of God, like “on Abrahams Bosom”. This time without Abraham.
The absence of God then, after we have seen Jesus Christ the Son of God, burns more than any fire. And besides, God never lets anyone being tortured!

Let me very much doubt this. It’s vice-versa. We can pray for those in Purgatory. Holy Mary said suchlike in her appearances to Saints like in Lourdes or Fatima.

Purgatory:

Fr. Garrigou-Lagrange, following St. Thomas Aquinas, affirms that it is possible for spiritual beings to “suffer” from material flames – this is called the pain of sense. It is a clear doctrine of the Church that the souls in purgatory undergo the pain of sense, at least spiritually – even if there are no physical flames in purgatory, the souls there suffer in their spiritual senses. The chief pain of purgatory is the delay of the beatific vision, but in addition to this there also the pain of sense.

At the Council of Florence, Bessarion argued against the existence of real purgatorial fire, and the Greeks were assured that the Roman Church had never issued any dogmatic decree on this subject. In the West the belief in the existence of real fire is common. Augustine (Enarration on Psalm 37, no. 3) speaks of the pain which purgatorial fire causes as more severe than anything a man can suffer in this life, “gravior erit ignis quam quidquid potest homo pati in hac vita” (P.L., col. 397). Gregory the Great speaks of those who after this life “will expiate their faults by purgatorial flames,” and he adds “that the pain be more intolerable than any one can suffer in this life” (Ps. 3 poenit., n. 1). Following in the footsteps of Gregory, St. Thomas teaches (IV, dist. xxi, q. i, a.1) that besides the separation of the soul from the sight of God, there is the other punishment from fire. “Una poena damni, in quantum scilicet retardantur a divina visione; alia sensus secundum quod ab igne punientur”, and St. Bonaventure not only agrees with St. Thomas but adds (IV, dist. xx, p.1, a.1, q. ii) that this punishment by fire is more severe than any punishment which comes to men in this life; “Gravior est omni temporali poena. quam modo sustinet anima carni conjuncta”. How this fire affects the souls of the departed the Doctors do not know, and in such matters it is well to heed the warning of the Council of Trent when it commands the bishops “to exclude from their preaching difficult and subtle questions which tend not to edification’, and from the discussion of which there is no increase either in piety or devotion” (Sess. XXV, “De Purgatorio”).

Let’s NEVER make a or the fear of „Material Flames“ we might burn in, a reason to rather believe than to doubt! To be good, or else we stand in flames.

Since souls can’t burn (feel material flames) these ancient sights of Purgatorium, are not shared by our today’s Church. Of course not! Ever more so, as anyone knows, that God wo is the personalized love, will never have anyone physically tortured! It even would be illogical, as our soul is not a body, which feels physical pain.
Suchlike pain must not be mentioned in connection with God and God’s hemisphere.
The RCC reveals clearly our Church’s sight of Purgatory, which is not even mentioned in the Gospel, as a place of far away from God - same far and same place as those who died before Jesus Christ redeemed the world with His passion and resurrection. „Abrahams bosom". A heaven without God. One of the heavens St. Paul mentioned, when he spoke in 2 Cor 12.2. about a third heaven.

Though in the Catechism #1031 the word „fire“ is mentioned same as Paul does in 1 Cor 3,13-15: If someone’s work is burned up, he will suffer loss. He himself will be saved, but only as through fire.
Mind that St. Paul here adds the word „as" - here we could also read „like“.
It’s most sure, that Paul here never thought of worldly fire, but rather as when we say, we there, or in this exam go through or have our “baptism of fire”. None of us would understand this as a bonfire.

In a biblical footnote to Pauls word, we read:
The translation “[will] be punished” is given here by BDAG 428
{BDAG stands for a Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament and Other Early Christian Literature}
But the next clause says “he will be delivered” and so “suffering loss” is more likely to refer to the destruction of the “work” by fire or the loss of the reward that could have been gained.

So, why would we simplify the Gospel by transferring worldly realities into God’s hemisphere. That’s as peculiarly wrong as the odd paintings of Angels with swan-wings. Why would they fly on feathers with wings grown on their back?! It’s so terribly thoughtless and simple secular transferring of worldly conditions into heaven: „To fly means wings“. Terrible native naiveness!
Same goes to worldly fire - sure inexistent in God’s hemisphere - same as swan-wings. Just imagine your child would have be born with such wings. Horrid thought!

Fire is the absence of God - that’s even much worse than earthly fire!
Souls don’t feel fire, nor can they be hurt by fire the way as we know fire.
Fire here is the metaphor for the homesick pain of being away and off God.

Yours
Bruno

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.