The Death of OSAS - Lamb's book of Life

Luke 10:19-20
Behold, I give unto you power to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy: and nothing shall by any means hurt you. Notwithstanding in this rejoice not, that the spirits are subject unto you; but rather rejoice, because your names are written in heaven.

Here we have Jesus telling his disciples (all 12) that their names are written in the Book of Life. This must refer to the Book even though the term “in Heaven” is used. Since Jesus tells all the disciples that their names are written down, one must ask a serious question. What of Judas Iscariot? Was he not numbered among them. Was he not a minister also? Was he not given the power to heal the sick and cast out demons? Do you really want to excuse him and say his name was not blotted out?

Philippians 4:3:
And I intreat thee also, true yokefellow, help those women which laboured with me in the gospel, with Clement also, and with other my fellowlabourers, whose names are in the book of life.

Paul makes reference to the same thing here

*Matthew Henry Commentary -Of his fellow-labourers he says, Whose names are in the book of life; either they were chosen of God from all eternity, or registered and enrolled in the corporation and society to which the privilege of eternal life belongs, alluding to the custom among the Jews and Gentiles of registering the inhabitants or the freemen of the city. So we read of their names being written in heaven (Luke x. 20), not blotting his name out of the book of life (Rev. iii. 5), and of those who are written in the Lamb's book of life, Rev. xxi. 27. Observe, There is a book of life; there are names in that book and not characters and conditions only. We cannot search into that book, or know whose names are written there; but we may, in a judgment of charity, conclude that those who labour in the gospel, and are faithful to the interest of Christ and souls, have their names in the book of life.

We know, according to the above passages that there is such a thing as the Book of Life. We know that this book is not written by any person, but is penned by God himself. If one has their name found in that Book, it is better than having power over spirits and all the power of Satan.

Since we have now established what the Book of Life is and who authored it. Let’s see how else it’s used.

To determine who is sent to hell-
**Revelation of John 20:15:
And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.
Actions that are done by those going to hell -
**Revelation of John 13:8:
And all that dwell upon the earth shall worship him (the beast), whose names are not written in the book of life of the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world.
**Revelation of John 17:8:
The beast that thou sawest was, and is not; and shall ascend out of the bottomless pit, and go into perdition: and they that dwell on the earth shall wonder, whose names were not written in the book of life from the foundation of the world, when they behold the beast that was, and is not, and yet is.
Revelation of John 21:27:
And there shall in no wise enter into it any thing that defileth, neither whatsoever worketh abomination, or maketh a lie: but they which are written in the Lamb’s book of life.

Warning against being blotted out-
**Revelation of John 22:19:
And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.

Revelation of John 3:5:
He that overcomes, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels.**

These verses allude to being blotted or erased from the Book of Life. Tampering with the Book of Revelations is understood by all Christians as a major no-no. He that overcomes, is safe, There is however a warning to those who do not overcome. You see the idea of blotting out a name from the Book of Life is a concept that goes back to the OT.

**Exodus 32:32-33
Yet now, if thou wilt forgive their sin―; and if not, blot me, I pray thee, out of thy book which thou hast written. And the Lord said unto Moses, Whosoever hath sinned against me, him will I blot out of my book.

Deuteronomy 9:14:
Let me alone, that I may destroy them, and blot out their name from under heaven: and I will make of thee a nation mightier and greater than they.

Deuteronomy 25:19:
…that thou shalt blot out the remembrance of Amalek from under heaven; thou shalt not forget it.**

**Deuteronomy 29:20:
The LORD will not spare him, but then the anger of the LORD and his jealousy shall smoke against that man, and all the curses that are written in this book shall lie upon him, and the LORD shall blot out his name from under heaven.
It must be understood that this blotting out is permanent. It certainly is permanent when our sins are blotted out.

**Psalms 51:1:
Have mercy upon me, O God, according to thy lovingkindness: according unto the multitude of thy tender mercies blot out my transgressions.

Psalms 51:9:
Hide thy face from my sins, and blot out all mine iniquities.

Proverbs 9:7:
He that reproveth a scorner getteth to himself shame: and he that rebuketh a wicked man getteth himself a blot.**

I could not figure out how to edit the OP so I have to reply in order to edit:o

Anyway, I thought about it. How can anyone believe in Once Saved Always Saved if it is so plainly spelled out. If your name is written in the Book, you are obviously “saved” at least initially. This would cover the “accept Jesus, altar call” theology. On other sites I have been told people who don’t get to Heaven weren’t actually saved. Okidoki.

Can anyone see anything I may have misrepresented, miquoted etc.? I believe this is in line with RCC teaching.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.