The Defamation of Mother Teresa

Hello All,

If you guys thought Hitler’s Pope was bad, checkout this book: The Missionary Position: Mother Teresa in Theory and Practice by Chjristopher Hitchens www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/185984054X/ref=cm_bg_d/104-8809154-9892718?v=glance . Has anyone heard about the claims made in this book? Can anybody refute the claims Hitchens makes? :mad:

Its just another vile attempt to tear down the true Christians of the world, both in hopes of a quick buck and long lasting damage to a venerable icon. Jesus talks about being the salt of the earth and at the same times warns of persecution.

I have no doubt that books attacking Pope John Paul II are already in the works as well (Nazi, secret Communist conspirator, whatever).

There was another thread on this…I think it was in the news forum…Anyhow, there were some good thoughts there.

My personal feeling is that when Jesus said that the student is not better than the Master, this may well be one of the things that He had in mind…

The following website was refered to on another thread.

p197.ezboard.com/fformercatholicsforchristfrm1

It is vile. the most anti-Catholic group I have encountered. They attack Mother Teresa, Padre Pio, the Pope and many of the saints.

What they say about Mother Teresa is disgusting.

I would be delighted if someone could refute each and every one of their claims.

[quote=rjs1]The following website was refered to on another thread.

I edited out the link because I wouldn’t want to do anything to support that kind of nastiness.
[/quote]

It is vile. the most anti-Catholic group I have encountered. They attack Mother Teresa, Padre Pio, the Pope and many of the saints.

I would be delighted if someone could refute each and every one of their claims.I went and looked at that board. What a bunch of uncharitable people! If they think that that kind of “witness” and “truth in love” is gonna draw me outta the church that Christ founded then they have totally lost their minds alltogether. To be honest…I would boycott any board that was like that one. It’s a complete waste of time.

Those don’t sound like ex-Catholics to me, they sound like anti-Catholic n-Cs who mascarade as ex’s to attempt to give themselves some credibility. I’m not buying it.

Furthermore, based on these verses from St. Peter himself:
1st Peter 3:15 But sanctify the Lord Christ in your hearts, being ready always to satisfy every one that asketh you a reason of that hope which is in you.

16 But with modesty and fear, having a good conscience: that whereas they speak evil of you, they may be ashamed who falsely accuse your good conversation in Christ.

What have they displayed that would make anyone want to ask about what they have?

God help me and all my Catholic brothers and sisters to never disgrace the gospel like that.
Pax vobiscum,

Mother Theresa is attacked becuase she condemned the highest , most holy sacrament of the left-abortion.

One of the most interesting things Iever watched was Bill and Hillary Clinotn squirmimg uncomfortably as Mother Theresa unequivocably condemend abortion at a National Prayer Breakfast. Though both issued statments later affirming their support of abortion they did not have the nerve to adress her personallly. Mr Hitchens, who has lately shown a very vile ani-catholic streak(see his comments on John Roberts), likewise waited until she died to attack her.

…you know, they never said the “gates of hell” wouldn’t try to prevail…:cool:

Peace:thumbsup:
http://jeannero.free.fr/dessins-animes-2/SpaceGhost.gif

[quote=space ghost]…you know, they never said the “gates of hell” wouldn’t try to prevail…:cool:

Peace:thumbsup:
http://jeannero.free.fr/dessins-animes-2/SpaceGhost.gif
[/quote]

:smiley: again, space ghost, welcome back!!!

[quote=estesbob] Mr Hitchens,… likewise waited until she died to attack her.
[/quote]

Actually, the book was published in 1995.

She died in 1997.

Hello All,

The major arguments of Hitchens book are that Mother took in lots of money, including some from convicted Charles Keating, that was used to further Catholic doctrine rather than serve the poor. He claims she associated herself with dictators, specifically from Haiti, and provided herself with expensive medical care, all the while her Order’s medical practices were substandard given the level of doonations. There is also a claim that people died from use of Natural Family Planning which she advocated. What does everyone think of this litany of charges? Is there any truth here? :nope:

I will let others deal with the other charges, but this one is unbelievable. How can anyone die from using Natural Family Planning?

Using Natural Family Planning simply means that the married couple space out their sexual relations with the natural cycle of the woman.

Again I ask, how can anyone possibly die from this? Are the anti-Catholics arguing that a woman might get pregnant using Natural Family Planning and because of her pregnancy she might suffer complications and die? If that is their argument then it is obscene. It makes pregnancy out to be a disease. Certainly there are risks in pregnancy, there are risks in just living!

When a couple use Natural Family Planning there may be some risk that the woman will get pregnant, but where does God figure in all of this? Doesn’t His will count at all? He does not expect us to engage in sexual activity whenever we feel like it, totally separated from the consequences. He created us male and female to marry and create new life. If this is what Mother Teresa taught then she was doing God’s work and deserves our thanks.

[quote=rjs1]The following website was refered to on another thread.

p197.ezboard.com/fformercatholicsforchristfrm1

I would be delighted if someone could refute each and every one of their claims.
[/quote]

I am a member of that forum and we defend Mother Theresa. It is really sad for them to make accusations to a daughter of poverty and charity and daughter of GOD.

I found a website (and I don’t care to go back and look for it now) a while back that was bashing Mother Teresa saying that she didn’t want to help heal the sick–that she only wanted them to die so they could go to heaven. This site claimed she did sick people a dis-service. It’s really sad to see people cut her down like that.

Hmmm… where in the Bible does it say that Mother Theresa was a bad person?

[quote=DavidFilmer]Hmmm… where in the Bible does it say that Mother Theresa was a bad person?
[/quote]

Same page as the 11th Commandment:
“Thou shalt not read but the King James Authorized Version of the Bible, because that’s what it says on this page”

[quote=RikasAngel]Hello All,

There is also a claim that people died from use of Natural Family Planning which she advocated. What does everyone think of this litany of charges? Is there any truth here? :nope:
[/quote]

How is that possible?!?!

[quote=RikasAngel]Hello All,

If you guys thought Hitler’s Pope was bad, checkout this book: The Missionary Position: Mother Teresa in Theory and Practice by Chjristopher Hitchens www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/185984054X/ref=cm_bg_d/104-8809154-9892718?v=glance . Has anyone heard about the claims made in this book? Can anybody refute the claims Hitchens makes? :mad:
[/quote]

Chrstopher Hitchens has been asked to testify as a 'Devil’s Advocate" in the ongoing investigation on Mother Theresa. I read most of his articles about her when they were published in Vanity Fair Magazine several years ago. What I concluded was that he was angry about her accepting monetary contributions by nefarious characters and then not giving the money back when these people turned out to be crooks. One of her benefactors turned out to be a spy planted in the CIA - Jack somebody and I am sorry I cannot remember his name. He also claimed that she liked her status as a celebrity nun.

You know, he was listened to by the Vatican and his testimony was taken. I think he objections to her are arguable - I certainly see nothing wrong with putting ‘dirty money’ to good use - and I wonder if he was simply flumoxed by her obedience to the Holy Mother Church and so cannot accept her as she was…does that make sense?

[quote=Drew98]Actually, the book was published in 1995.

She died in 1997.
[/quote]

Learned something new today! Thanks!

From the UK media this week:

Donal MacIntyre gained access to the Kolkata orphanage of the Missionaries of Charity recently. He is an investigative reporter and documentary maker. His findings were seen in a recent documentary on UK television that I didn’t see and there is an article in the New Statesman issue that came out yesterday.

He was contacted by committed Catholics who had volunteered as workers in the orphanages. One worked in Daya Dan and could only work there for three days. She states “It was simply too distressing … We had seen the same things in Romania but couldn’t believe it was happening in a Mother Teresa home”. These Catholics had written with their concerns to Sister Nirmala, the Mother Superior but had received no response.

MacIntyre writes “I winced at the rough handling by some of the full-time staff and Missionary sisters. I saw children with their mouths gagged open to be given medicine, their hands flaying in distress, visible testimony to the pain they were in. Tiny babies were bound with cloths at feeding time … Some of the children retched and coughed as rushed staff crammed food into their mouths. Boys and girls were abandoned on open toilets for up to 20 minutes at a time. Slumped, untended, some dribbling, some sleeping, they were a pathetic sight. Their treatment was an affront to their dignity, and dangerously unhygienic.”

Footage was secretly filmed and the local police have promised to investigate. MacIntyre concludes, from personal experience, that the homes “are a disgrace to so-called Christian care and, indeed, civilised values of any kind. I witnessed barbaric treatment of the most vulnerable.”

Here’s the full text of the article in the New Statesman (other articles are available on the site):

macintyre.com/content/view/533/105/

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.