The Defenition of Worship?

+Ave Maria!

I have always been taught that true defenition of worship is to offer sacrafice just like the priest does as Holy Mass and just like the jews did in the old testement. However I come across some catholics that say the the whole liturgy is “worship”. But to me that would is saying that the singing the songs and preaching it worshiping as well? Am really confused any help!

Worship has been a question I’ve been pondering lately as well.With the litergy of the mass we participate in Christs’ sacrifice so the whole mass is our public worship.
The diferent meanings of worship have caused many misunderstandings and the meaning used in a spicific discussion is often overloked.
My question lately is …Did the Jews at the time of Jesus consider synagog attendance on the Sabbath as an act of Divine worship?

st julie

Sacrifice as Worship has its origin all the way back to Cain / Abel in Gen.
Worship can be, in today’s nomenclature, prayer, honor OR adoration.

Because of this dual understanding, much disagreement surrounds that inclusive word.
Scripturally:
ADORATION Worship is the recoginition of God in an act of Sacrifice.
HONOR worship is included in ADORATION Worship, but Honor Worship is not in itself ADORATION Worship.
It is the KIND of worship that confuses. Without the preceding adjectives, “worship” is too generic in reference to our obligation to God.
(I worship my wife, the ground she walks on. So, what do I mean? The English refer to a high judge as “your worship”.)

The form of Sacrifice can be valid, invalid, licit or illlicit.

Abel’s was valid and licit. Cain’s was likely valid but illicit as to the substance offered. God let him know. It may have even been invalid, but not sure.

The development of ritual aound that sacrifice is included WHEN they arrive at a valid sacifice. But without the sacrifice it is not Scripturally an Adoration Worship.

When Prot’s dropped the sacrifice, they declared HONOR WORSHIP = ADORATION worship as any of the 4 forms of prayer: Praise,Thanksgiving, petition, or repentance. Some will even throw in reading the bible. Some Catholics think the same WHEN the “liturgy of the word” is read in the Mass. (very prot development)

That’s why Prot’s think we worship Mary, saints, Icons, etc. They changed the meaning of ADORATION Worship, then accused Catholics of violating their definition.

So, a root obstacle of apologetics is the very different definition of Worship without its restricting adjective.

Worship is now used as an inclusive word that makes little or no distinction between true adoration, and prayer or even honor.

One reason is that in Scripture, “worship” is often used as a prayer of petition, or outward acts of honor. But ADORATION Worship always has a sacrifice.

ROMANS12;1, I urge you ,therefore,brethern,by the mercys of God ,to present your bodies a living and holy sacrifice acceptable to God,which is your spiritual service of worship. :wink: God Bless

[quote=st julie]Worship has been a question I’ve been pondering lately as well.With the litergy of the mass we participate in Christs’ sacrifice so the whole mass is our public worship.
The different meanings of worship have caused many misunderstandings and the meaning used in a spicific discussion is often overlooked.
My question lately is …Did the Jews at the time of Jesus consider synagog attendance on the Sabbath as an act of Divine worship?
st julie
[/quote]

This is a good question, since today’s Jews offer no “official” sacrifice at all, in a Temple.
The 1st commandment:

I am the Lord thy God, who brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage. Thou shalt not have strange gods before Me. Thou shalt not make to thyself a graven thing, nor the likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or in the earth beneath, nor of those things that are in the waters under the earth. Thou shalt not adore them, nor serve them. (Baltimore Cate.)
3rd Commandment:
Remember thou keep holy the Sabbath day.

The commandment does not state ADORATION Worship is required on every Sabbath.
That is a Catholic Precept from Apostolic times.

Q. What are we commanded by the third Commandment?

**A. **By the third Commandment we are commanded to keep holy the Lord’s day and the holydays of obligation, on which we are to give our time to the service and worship of God. (Baltimore Cate.)

Q. How are we to worship (generic, inclusive) God on Sundays and holydays of obligation?

**A. **We are to worship God on Sundays and holydays of obligation by hearing Mass (ADORATION in the NT Sacrifice), by prayer (HONOR Worship), and by other good works. (Baltimore Cate.)

[quote=Mperea75]+Ave Maria!

I have always been taught that true defenition of worship is to offer sacrafice just like the priest does as Holy Mass and just like the jews did in the old testement. However I come across some catholics that say the the whole liturgy is “worship”. But to me that would is saying that the singing the songs and preaching it worshiping as well? Am really confused any help!
[/quote]

The Catholic encyclopedia defines “worship” as:
(Saxon weorthscipe, “honour”; from worth, meaning “value”, “dignity”, “price”, and the termination, ship; Lat. cultus) in its most general sense is homage paid to a person or a thing.

In that sense, I would agree with those Catholics that you have encountered. Singing songs to God is a form of worship. Dedicating time to study about God is a form of worship. Praising God is a form of worship. Anything that exalts God and is offered to God respectfully is worship.

closed #7

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.