The Deuterocanonicals and the Council of Trent

On several Protestant sites, I have seen it asserted that the Deuterocanonicals were added to the Bible at the Council of Trent and had not been seen as canonical before that time. I believe I have seen these books mentioned as being canonical in the writings of the Council of Rome (I believe that was its name) in the late fourth century. Were these books really held as canonical all that time, or was their status somehow “upgraded” at Trent? If they were canonical the whole time, does anyone have any idea where this Protestant idea comes from? I don’t like to think that it may be a deliberate deception.

I would suggest reading this article for information on this subject.

[quote=The Iambic Pen]On several Protestant sites, I have seen it asserted that the Deuterocanonicals were added to the Bible at the Council of Trent and had not been seen as canonical before that time. I believe I have seen these books mentioned as being canonical in the writings of the Council of Rome (I believe that was its name) in the late fourth century. Were these books really held as canonical all that time, or was their status somehow “upgraded” at Trent? If they were canonical the whole time, does anyone have any idea where this Protestant idea comes from? I don’t like to think that it may be a deliberate deception.
[/quote]

A list of the books of the Bible is found in the 4th century from the Council of Rome, A letter from the Pope, the council of Carthage, and the council of Hippo. Also in the 4th century St. Augustine as well as St. Jerome and others also present information on those books thought canonical. In the 1200’s or 1400’s the canon of the bible is also mentioned again by a council addressing another issue.

What they use to try and disregard these early listings is that The Council of Trent is the first Universal Council of the Church that again listed the books in an attempt to put to rest the issue by declaring the canon closed. Trent does reference the others I believe.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.