The devil or depression

I just spoke with my wife after a really bad night last night and she thinks the devil is making me have bad thoughts.

To her credit, I have been acting very poorly since the birth of our new baby. I am getting no sleep, am often angry and irritable, I have little patience and I sometimes have vague thoughts of self-pain. I think I may have post partum depression.

I spoke with a priest one on one on Monday and he gave me some ideas. He never once mentioned the devil.

I feel weird that my wife brought the devil into this. She is not a Catholic but a Protestant. Now I am not only miserable but under Satanic influence. . . I specifically said I hate my life and there is nothing good in my life.

Anway, does the devil make us irritable and angry and prevent us from sleeping and cause arguments in the family?

The devil can’t MAKE you do anything, but he is MUCH more active in this world than many of us would like to believe… he WILL take advantage of difficult situations to try to tear loved ones apart and cause friction.
Now, you can’t “blame” him for poor choices made by you, but you can bet he’ll do his best to disrupt, cause distress, and destroy peace.

If you’re concerned about the medical issue of depression then go see a doctor (therapy and/or medication)…

I think that the devil loves to piggy back on existing problems and exacerbate them. So…he may be feeding off of anxieties you have about being a new dad. The best defense you have right now is to take care of yourself. Get proper sleep and relaxation, surround yourself with Godly things like books or watching EWTN. I have no idea if the devil is attacking you or not…but my advice is to keep yourself physically and spiritually healthy to combat the feelings you are having right now. I don’t think we can blame the devil directly for every bad thought we have… but I know allowing ourselves to get caught up in bad feelings can be a gateway for him to enter and take hold. The biggest problems always start of as small thoughts, desires or fears.
A good confession really does a lot for my mental state as well.

Well I would certainly be praying if I were you, that’s always a good first response to any hardship in life. I’m also rather partial to the Rosary my self. However I believe that hand in hand you should be taking concrete and pratical steps to begin solving the problem as well.

I don’t mention this because with the thought of trying to minimize the power of prayer, to be sure I believe there is nothing more powerful. But I also think that hand in hand with the many gifts God gave us also comes a measure of personal responcibility. If a problem proves not to be too big to solve with in the context of our own God given gifts and talents then we should do so.

I don’t know if the devel is active in your depression but I agree with mercymia and em_in_fl. The devil likes to take existing problems and make them worse. I put below the minor prayer of exercisim which one of the popes wrote and has asked all catholics to say weekly. Where there are crosses sprinkle holy water and bless yourself (In the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirt. Amen) God Bless and keep on fighting.

Prayer to St. Michael the Archangel

In the Name of the Father,
and of the Son,
and of the Holy Ghost.
Amen.

Most glorious Prince of the Heavenly Armies,
Saint Michael the Archangel,
defend us in “our battle against principalities and powers,
against the rulers of this world of darkness,
against the spirits of wickedness in the high places” [Eph., 6:12].

Come to the assistance of men whom God has created to His likeness
and whom He has redeemed at a great price from the tyranny of the devil.

The Holy Church venerates you as her guardian and protector;
to you, the Lord has entrusted the souls of the redeemed to be led into heaven.
Pray therefore the God of Peace to crush Satan beneath our feet,
that he may no longer retain men captive and do injury to the Church.
Offer our prayers to the Most High,
that without delay they may draw His mercy down upon us;
take hold of "the dragon, the old serpent, which is the devil and Satan,“
bind him and cast him into the bottomless pit
"that he may no longer seduce the nations.” [Rev. 20:2-3]

Exorcism

In the Name of Jesus Christ,
our God and Lord,
strengthened by the intercession of the Immaculate Virgin Mary,
Mother of God,
of Blessed Michael the Archangel,
of the Blessed Apostles Peter and Paul and all the Saints.
and powerful in the holy authority of our ministry,
we confidently undertake to repulse the attacks and deceits of the devil.

God arises;
His enemies are scattered
and those who hate Him flee before Him.
As smoke is driven away,
so are they driven;
as wax melts before the fire,
so the wicked perish at the presence of God.

V. Behold the Cross of the Lord, flee bands of enemies.
R. The Lion of the tribe of Juda, the offspring of David, hath conquered.

V. May Thy mercy, Lord, descend upon us.
R. As great as our hope in Thee.

We drive you from us,
whoever you may be,
unclean spirits,
all satanic powers,
all infernal invaders,
all wicked legions,
assemblies and sects.

In the Name and by the power of Our Lord Jesus Christ,

• may you be snatched away and driven from the Church of God
    and from the souls made to the image and likeness of God
    and redeemed by the Precious Blood of the Divine Lamb.

• Most cunning serpent,
    you shall no more dare to deceive the human race,
    persecute the Church,
    torment God’s elect and sift them as wheat.

• The Most High God commands you,

• He with whom,
    in your great insolence,
    you still claim to be equal.

“God who wants all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth.” [1 Tim. 2:4)

God the Father commands you.

• God the Son commands you.

• God the Holy Ghost commands you.

• Christ, God’s Word made flesh, commands you;

• He who to save our race outdone through your envy,
    “humbled Himself,
    becoming obedient even unto death” [Phil. 2:8);
    He who has built His Church on the firm rock
    and declared that the gates of hell shall not prevail against Her,
    because He will dwell with Her “all days even to the end of the world.” [Mt. 28:20]

The sacred Sign of the Cross commands you,

• as does also the power of the mysteries of the Christian Faith.

• The glorious Mother of God, the Virgin Mary, commands you;

• she who by her humility
    and from the first moment of her Immaculate Conception crushed your proud head.

The faith of the holy Apostles Peter and Paul,
and of the other Apostles commands you.

• The blood of the Martyrs
    and the pious intercession of all the Saints command you. +

Thus, cursed dragon, and you, diabolical legions,
we adjure you by the living God,

• by the true God,
  • by the holy God,
  • by the God
    "who so loved the world that He gave up His only Son,
    that every soul believing in Him
    might not perish but have life everlasting;" [St.Jn. 3:16]
    stop deceiving human creatures
    and pouring out to them the poison of eternal damnation;
    stop harming the Church and hindering her liberty.

Begone, Satan, inventor and master of all deceit,
enemy of man’s salvation.

Give place to Christ in Whom you have found none of your works;
give place to the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
acquired by Christ at the price of His Blood.

Stoop beneath the all-powerful Hand of God;
tremble and flee when we invoke the Holy and terrible Name of Jesus,
this Name which causes hell to tremble,
this Name to which the Virtues,
Powers and Dominations of heaven are humbly submissive,
this Name which the Cherubim and Seraphim praise unceasingly repeating:
Holy, Holy, Holy is the Lord, the God of Hosts.

V. O Lord, hear my prayer.
R. And let my cry come unto Thee.

V. May the Lord be with thee.
R. And with thy spirit.

Let us pray.

God of heaven,
God of earth,
God of Angels,
God of Archangels,
God of Patriarchs,
God of Prophets,
God of Apostles,
God of Martyrs,
God of Confessors,
God of Virgins,
God who has power to give life after death and rest after work:
because there is no other God than Thee and there can be no other,
for Thou art the Creator of all things,
visible and invisible,
of Whose reign there shall be no end,
we humbly prostrate ourselves before Thy glorious Majesty
and we beseech Thee to deliver us by Thy power
from all the tyranny of the infernal spirits,
from their snares,
their lies and their furious wickedness.

Deign, O Lord,
to grant us Thy powerful protection
and to keep us safe and sound.

We beseech Thee through Jesus Christ Our Lord.

Amen.

V. From the snares of the devil,
R. Deliver us, O Lord.

V. That Thy Church may serve Thee in peace and liberty:
R. We beseech Thee to hear us.

V. That Thou may crush down all enemies of Thy Church:
R. We beseech Thee to hear us.

(Holy water is sprinkled in the place where we may be.)

I will pray for you, but you should know. Men can’t get post partum depression.

I just spoke with my wife after a really bad night last night and she thinks the devil is making me have bad thoughts.

To her credit, I have been acting very poorly since the birth of our new baby. I am getting no sleep, am often angry and irritable, I have little patience and I sometimes have vague thoughts of self-pain. **I think I may have post partum depression. **

It happens only to women due to the changing in hormones and a few other physiological and psychological things that come after carrying a life in the womb for 9 months that is no longer there. You may be suffering from depression, but it’s not “post partum”. If this is your first child, you have to make some big adjustments. It’s no longer just you and her. You now have to share her with someone else. And that can be hard to get used to. This new “interloper” has a lot of demands so you don’t get the same attention you did before, and that can indeed cause you to go into depression. Also people are correct, the devil does indeed like to piggyback on bad situations. You need to stay in prayer, and go see a doctor.

I beg to differ with the last post.

Please “google” post partum depression and dad or read a book about newborn infants.

I appreciate your post but please be factual. I feel bad enough already without being told I don’t know what I am talking about.

While I believe in demonic possession, and devils acting out and sometimes making us do cruel things, modern medicine has done wonders.

Go to a therapist. Now. Start taking depression medicine.

Of course, never forget to pray.

I was married to someone with chronic depression for years. My experience of medication is that it is mind altering drugs. My now former wife has gone nothing but backwards to point that the person I married has gone forever.

and she has divorced me and gone for good.

turn to the bible

faith hope and love the greatest of these is love
I can’t put enough emphasis on this. When you communicate your love to people that are most important to you and you really do love them with all your heart what a difference it makes. Heart felt communication and genuine love for your wife will go a long way.

ask and you shall receive
seek and you shall find
knock and the door will be open

and one more bit of advice
attitudes determine emotions

“Anyway, does the devil make us irritable and angry and prevent us from sleeping and cause arguments in the family?”:confused:

No, new babies can make us irritable, angry, and prevent us from sleeping for a short period of time. However, hating ones life is a clear sign of depression. You do need to see a family doctor at least. Take a depression screening test. It is found on the internet. google depression check list. Who cares whether it is post-partum depression, garden variety depression, or sleep deprivation induced depression. Glad the priest didn’t say devil. People say it’s the devil when they don’t have proper information about depression. Seems that includes your wife. Transitional depressions are very very treatable with medicine (most people do not have terrible reactions) and/or counseling, including marital counseling. If the devil is involved, he will flee in the face of humility. It takes humility to let a qualified someone else diagnose you. Most of us here are unqualified although we are offering our thoughts, suggestions, and prayers.
Said with care and prayers.

We’ll just have to disagree then, because there is nothing “Parted” from a man for post partum. They may get the baby blues, due to lack of sleep, the worry and anxiety about the new baby etc… but it is not post partum which is a physical condition due to no longer having the baby in your womb. Due to the effeminization of our societ, there are all these “men” who want to be included as suffering the same thing a woman does, but that is not the reality. They don’t suffer the hormone drop, and the other PHYSICAL changes that happen from childbirth and calling it post-partum in men diminishes what a women suffer.

The devil is not making you irritable, lack of sleep, stress, possibly a poor diet, and other biological and environmental factors are making you irritable.

Maybe it would help you to take some kind of a medication for a while. At least medication to help you sleep and feel less stressed.

It just seems pretty crazy to me to suggest that satan walks around getting inside your mind and body making you irritable.

Depression, whatever the cause or type is horrible, for the sufferer and their family. And the devil loves discord and making bad things worse:

True depression needs help from qualified medical professionals, this usually takes the form of some type of medication and counselling of some kind. It is not something you can “make better” by yourself.

JRPO, I understand that you have had a difficult time with your ex-wife’s mental illnesses, but please don’t discount the efficacy of medication with such a broad statement. I’m not commenting on your personal experience of depresssion and treatment with medication, but that is not always the case.

My mother and my daughter have both suffered severe depression, different causes, different responses to treatment. In my mother’s case although she had years of counselling, she refused to face the cause of her depression and long term use of medication seemed to be mind-altering and to cause her to go backward. In my daughter’s case she faced the cause of her depression so that counselling coupled with medication has enabled her to live a full life, no longer needing medication, but is aware that she may need medication and counselling again should the need arise.

While

attitudes determine emotions

a truly depressed person is no more able to change their attitude without medication/counselling than a person with two broken legs is able to walk.

Agent, do not try to self-diagnose, please consult your family doctor, who knows the stresses in your life from the arrival of your new baby, tell him about any other stress in your life and follow his advice. Oh, and, congratulations on the arrival of this baby, it’s a special gift and I pray that you will get your life onto an even keel so that you can enjoy your child and your family.

Satan can indeed influence us just as he did Eve. What was true then is true now.

In a sense, all disorder (including health disorders, including mental health disorders) is, to some extent, a result of man’s cooperation with the devil. For this reason, I think it is reasonable to take a few simple precautions when dealing with depression, such as praying the St. Michael prayer given earlier and maybe keeping some Holy water around. These may also have the effect of giving a small amount of comfort and helping you know, at least logically if not emotionally, that you are not alone.

I’ve had depression, and my husband has dysthymia, a depressive disorder that is normally mild but leaves him more vulnerable to depression than a normal person. Please do consider seeking help. I would recommend starting with your family doctor, to check for physical causes of depression that can be easily fixed. In my case, iron deficiency was the cause of my depression, and a simple iron vitamin pill and a little vitamin C was all I needed. My symptoms were very like yours - irritability, difficulty sleeping, trouble keeping my temper, and so on. My husband’s dysthymia, on the other hand, is far harder to work with, and he needs far more ongoing care than he has been able to receive so far.

Like others have said, changing your attitude when you are truly depressed is not something that you can do on your own. However, this doesn’t mean that you are powerless before your depression. Try to eat well, sleep well, and ask your wife to help you get the medical care you need. Do what you can to help your attitude and emotions, because even if you can’t attain the state you may want to be in, your efforts are making a difference.

The best site for depression advice that I have found is overcomedepression.co.uk/ . I hope it can help you as much as it has helped our family.

I wouldn’t look at this as an either / or regarding the devil and depression. Asking God for extra protection never hurts, but you are doing the right thing by resisting the idea that this is solely a religious issue IMO. I think persuing medical help and counseling is a great idea, and that you are doing a good job of reaching out for the help you need. Being able to do that while depressed speaks volumes about your strong character, even though you might find that hard to believe right now. Six months from now, think back on how proactive you were even when you were this overwhelmed, and you will feel good about yourself.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.