The devil was part of the Reformation

I was watching Fr. Corapi on EWTN a week ago or so and he was talking about how Catholics read the Bible, etc.

At the end, he was telling about how the Scripture where Jesus says to Peter something like Satan wants to have you and to shift you like wheat (don’t know what Gospel that’s in but I know I’ve seen it before) and that our Lord was praying for Peter especially.

Fr. was telling the correct interpretation of it. It was that when our Lord said Satan wants to have you, the “you” was plural, like to have ALL of the disciples, etc. and the “you” in shift you like wheat, was plural as well (to shift you ALL). But when our Lord said that He would pray for Peter especially because unity wouuld be kept or something like that. Did anyone catch this program on TV to know what I’m talking about?

Well, anyway, Fr. went on to say what happens when you go away from Peter? Satan shifts us all! He said so when Martin Luther left, Wesley, all the other Protestant ones left, Satan shifts them all and now we have over 60,000 Christian denominations teaches this and that, etc.!

That’s exactly what I thought, that the devil was part of the Reformation.:mad:

Why? Think about it. You REALLY think that ALL interpretations of the Bible match? NO. Do we agree on them? NO. Do they cause confusion? YES. Remember, Satan causes confusion! It’s NOT the Holy Spirit. And that’s EXACTLY what he wanted to do: to lead people away from the Truth!

Now look at our brethren…they have been strayed away from Truth!:crying:

Now I understand: the CC is the only Church that stands in unity because it IS THE TRUE Church founded by our Lord and what our Lord said was true because the proof is right in front of our eyes.:slight_smile: Make sense?

I think what you mean is *sift * (as in sifting flour through a sieve) as opposed to *shift * (move from one place to another).

The passage you are thinking of is Luke 22:33:

“Simon, Simon, behold, Satan demanded to have you, that he might sift you like wheat, but I have prayed for you that your faith may not fail; and when you have turned again, strengthen your brethren.”

And yes, I agree, that, whatever limited good may have come out of the “Reformation,” it’s overarching result has been to fracture Christianity into thousands of competing sects, seriously confusing Christ’s Gospel, damaging fellowship among God’s people, and causing scandal among unbelievers who refuse to accept the witness of bickering brethren. You have to believe that God is not the author of confusion (1Corinthians 14:33), but Satan must be quite pleased.

1 Like

[quote=Fidelis], but Satan must be quite pleased.
[/quote]

Of course Satan is more pleased when non-Catholics talk garbage about the CC! Anti-Catholic! The devil decieves non-Catholics and even tries even with Catholics (but who in the Grace of God ignores them) and then they turn and bad mouth the Church!

Fr. Corapi once said that the devil’s favorite color is gray. Twisting truth, half truths is what he likes best and that’s exactly what happened.

Confusion, division and multiple beliefs are not characteristics of truth.

I would stay away from saying 60,000 as a number though even some people have a problem with 25,000 different denominations and use the number as an excuse ignore the evil of division and argue over the accuracy of numbers. I prefer to say there are thousands of divisions with more each week as it spreads.

God Bless
Scylla

[quote=scylla]Confusion, division and multiple beliefs are not characteristics of truth.

I would stay away from saying 60,000 as a number though even some people have a problem with 25,000 different denominations and use the number as an excuse ignore the evil of division and argue over the accuracy of numbers. I prefer to say there are thousands of divisions with more each week as it spreads.

God Bless
Scylla
[/quote]

Okay, um…how about 10 at least? That’s all I know of.

The number 60,000 is official. Whether it is useful to point it out or jsimply say thousands is another debate.

[quote=Lazerlike42]The number 60,000 is official. Whether it is useful to point it out or jsimply say thousands is another debate.
[/quote]

I agree that their are alot of protestant denominations but could you point out a source for this number? (i.e. 60,000). Furthermore, I bet this number imcludes non-Christian groups like jehovah’s witnesses, and mormons.

The number of 36,000 is from a census done by the United Nations in 1989. The number 60,000 is from a study done by an organization which keeps track of religious trends and whatnot, but I do not recall the name of it. THis study was done much later, and it makes sense given exponential growth that 36,000 could grow to 60,000 in a few years.

I actually believe that the second study did not include JW type groups, but I am not sure. Even if it did, its important to realize that there aren’t that many groups like that relative to how many various true Christian groups there are. I would say that if the 60,000 included groups like these, the number would go down to 57,000 or so if they were to be removed.

[quote=LatinCat]I agree that their are alot of protestant denominations but could you point out a source for this number? (i.e. 60,000). Furthermore, I bet this number imcludes non-Christian groups like jehovah’s witnesses, and mormons.
[/quote]

I’m not sure where that figure came from either, but I think it’s fair to include JW’s and Mormons. Even though they have beliefs that are very different from other Christians, they are groups that had their roots in Protestantism. They had to break off from somewhere.

[quote=TamaraS]I’m not sure where that figure came from either, but I think it’s fair to include JW’s and Mormons. Even though they have beliefs that are very different from other Christians, they are groups that had their roots in Protestantism.
[/quote]

Actually, that is a very good point.

[font=Courier New][size=3]Those are some of the stupidest comments I have ever read.

[/size][/font]

[quote=Lilyofthevalley][font=Courier New][size=3]Those are some of the stupidest comments I have ever read.[/size]

[/font]
[/quote]

Why do you say that? The reformation was the most brilliantly evil lie Satan ever concieved.

[quote=Lilyofthevalley][font=Courier New][size=3]Those are some of the stupidest comments I have ever read.[/size]

[/font]
[/quote]

Why do you think those are so stupid? One of the easiest ways for the Devil to hurt us is by causing division.
Tamara

Paris- I wonder if we were watching the same program. While reading your first post I thought about Fr. Corapi saying this. I was watching one of his programs this last Saturday night and he said this, and I thought “how true.” The Devil loves to confuse.

Tamara

Do you really not think that the Devil had a hand in splintering the Body of Christ? The Holy Spirit certainly had nothing to do with it.

The most destructive thing of all that the Reformation accomplished afterall-for those “Reformed” is to destroy the most powerful tool agaist Satan- the Eucharist. Take away the sacrificial priesthood, take away all but 2 of the Sacraments. Now Protestants of many denominations have distorted or removed Baptism and are working feverishly to destroy Matrimony.

Satan knew exactly how to weaken members of The Body, to confuse and to lure into the “gray” that Fr. Corapi speaks of.

The Eucharist is what keeps “the Gates of Hell from prevailing”, and Satan will always attack the Church because of it. Luther knew he’d opened a can of worms pretty soon after he opened it.

1 Like

[/font]
[/quote]

I think her comments are brilliant! Please have a bit of charity for your fellow Catholic friends here.

I prefer to say there are thousands of divisions with more each week as it spreads.

I for one even stay away from using “thousands”. I personally prefer to use countless because I dont think anybody has been able to count how many splinters there are.

Those are some of the stupidest comments I have ever read.

Also I dont think we can refer to the above opinion as being stupid because thinking about it, the Deformation has caused many different interpretations and people going everywhere and Satan sure is trying to break up the Body of Christ anyway he can. The gates of hell will not prevail but Satan will not stop trying.

[/font]
[/quote]

I don’t care. It’s about time to know the Truth…
Again, sounds like Satan is trying to mislead people again…:hmmm:

[quote=TamaraS]Paris- I wonder if we were watching the same program. While reading your first post I thought about Fr. Corapi saying this. I was watching one of his programs this last Saturday night and he said this, and I thought “how true.” The Devil loves to confuse.

Tamara
[/quote]

Yes, I think it was. For the last couple weeks or so, it was the series how Catholics Read the Bible! I watched the same thing too Saturday night! It was! Cool!

Yes, there are indeed about 60,000 varying Protestant sects. And about 52,000 of them are ones claiming to be the true Anglican church! :wink: :yup:

Um, yes, — okay. I’ll just ---- go over to the side here now and hide. :tsktsk: :o

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.