The devout are deficient: Study shows Christians are bereft in Bible knowledge

The self-professed religious better start studying the words of their Gods!
I remember a study a few years ago about how Atheists were better versed in the bibles than the general majority of Theists, which was rather amusing.
But it made sense.
Both “converted” Atheists/Agnostics or “crade” Atheists/Agnostics usually do a lot of research before they reach their conclusions. Whereas many religious people it seems readily accept a religion because they are born into/brought up in it, without asking a lot of questions or aggressively studying it.

The devout are deficient: Study shows Christians are bereft in Bible knowledge

The majority of Americans claim to be committed to their faith. Nearly three out of every four individuals identify themselves as a “Christian.” That said, perhaps it’s time they start reading the Word of God. A study, conducted initially in 2010 and recently updated, shows the devout are rather devoid when it comes to Bible 101.
The study, conducted by the Pew Research Religion and Public Life Project and reported on by the Pacific Standard magazine on Oct. 6, asked over 3,400 Protestants, Catholics, Jews, Mormons and Atheists / Agnostics a total of 32 questions regarding elements of their own faith, knowledge of world religions and the role of religion in public life.
While Jews, Mormons and even those who profess no belief in God all individually answered at least 20 of the 32 questions correctly, Christians came in well under – flunking out with answering only 15.7 questions correctly on average. Catholics were one of the worst performers when it comes to religious academia, scoring only 14.7 of the questions correctly…

examiner.com/article/the-devout-are-deficient-study-shows-christians-are-bereft-bible-knowledge

I answered 12 of 15 questions correctly!! (80%) :cool:

I scored better than 87% of the public!! :confused:

I’m so smart! :nerd:

:nope:

The test results are incredibly surprising, come on, only 65 percent of Catholics were able to pick Moses as the leading figure of the exodus from Egypt??? Shiver me timbers! And only 33 percent of Catholics stated Matthew, Mark, Luke and John when asked to list the four gospels? Lord have mercy!! :eek:

Thanks for sharing!

Actually, this doesn’t surprise me.
Being a convert (agnostic; however, my family was non-practicing Baptist) I have read the KJV from cover to cover at least twice in my life (and now trying to work my way thru what for the protestants are the apocryphal texts) .
This is a concern for the Church and getting Catholics to read the scriptures more often is part of the evangelization the Holy Father has talked about.

In my parish we took a pro-active chance to rectifiy this lack of overall knowledge of the Catholic faith and changed the PRE/CCD from a standard night-school where the the parents did a drive-by-drop-off of the kids to more recent version called “Family Faith Formation (link provided for context)” that removes the primary responsibility for teaching the faith from the Catechists and places that primary responsibility right in the parents laps… we thought this would really hurt participation to start with… WOW, were we unprepared - had to order extra materials, the families are starving for the Word of God outside of the Holy Mass.

Catholics need more programs like FFF, good ole-fashon bible studies, TMIY, Biblical Walks thru the Mass, amongst so much more.

It is clear that there is a deficiency, but it could be that it is in the examiners readership. I’d be more impressed with a poll that gives results for those who attend mass at least once a week.

I aced it! And I’ve learned what I have in my 38 years as a Catholic, since I left Protestantism (about which I knew little) in my teens.

Of course, multiple choice makes things easy. :smiley:

Agree with Ignatius :thumbsup:. I started the quiz and got bored when they started asking questions that had nothing to do with the Catholic faith. I had to google Joseph Smith and one thing for sure is that I simply would not associate him, or indeed many non-Catholic personalities or doctrines with my faith e.g. Catholics don’t do Ramadan and as we don’t worship false gods, why are we supposed to know the names of them?

The quiz says more about the lack of knowledge of the people who put it together and their own agenda.

Considering the Pew Forum survey was conducted four years ago, the results aren’t exactly news (even if the writer for Examiner.com has just discovered the results.)

Here is a link to the thread in which we first discussed the results, back in 2010:
forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=498512

The survey, while interesting, isn’t really about how knowledgeable a believer is concerning his or her religion. The survey covers knowledge of world religions and US laws concerning freedom of religion.

I’m not so sure. I think Pew Forum put together a neutral survey and reported the results in a neutral manner. However, third party news outlets might report the results in a manner which fits an agenda. In the case of the Examiner.com article, I think the author was writing specifically of the questions concerning the Christian faith.

Such polls need to differentiate between those who go to Church regularly to those who don’t.

Atheists make a conscious decision to espouse their views, they have a specific outlook and are probably a rather small percentage of the public, as an example, one in ten say.

From the article:

Even commonplace observances, taken for fact, are proved untrue with a simple reading through the Gospels. For example, the book of Luke explains why Jesus could not have been born on the 25 of December. (As does the Catholic Encyclopedia.) Matthew’s writings of the background of Jesus’ birth detail why the “star” was placed in the sky, not by Almighty God, but by his enemy, Satan the Devil, who was looking to do away with the Messiah. Later in Matthew we read about how to pray to God – and why mindless repetitions of the same prayers over and over do not stir a hearing ear.

This article is B.S. designed to make Christians look like fools. The Catholic Encyclopedia does not say that “Jesus could not have been born on the 25th of December”. The Gospel of Matthew does not say that the Star of Bethlehem is “Satan”. That’s Jehovah’s Witness nonsense. And what can I say about the Protestant canard, “mindless repetitious prayers”? Ridiculous. I took the test, and allegedly got one question “wrong”. I look it up, and it turns out I was actually right, and the test was wrong!

If you take the quiz you get to see the breakdown. Church goers didn’t fair very well. I imagine because the survey didn’t ask about one specific religion, but rather a bunch of different ones. I missed a couple because they were about holidays that I don’t do.

I guess if I were a Gnostic this would be disturbing.

Somehow, I took the quiz, and went 15 for 15 (better than 99% of those participating). Maybe it was because today is my birthday.

At the end they show a bunch of stats. Catholics generally don’t do well on the quiz, and especially on a few non Catholic questions.

If a person lives their life in a state of grace, what else matters? This is why Christ came and died for us, so we could love God and serve him in this life and be with Him in the next.

People who are taking care of their families, working, and caring for parents that are elderly, don’t have time to be sitting and reading their bibles. If they pray a daily rosary, they are immersed in the scriptures daily and are working in the fields of the Lord. Are they drawing graces down upon the world? These are the things that matter to God.

Yeah, I am like those of you who missed some of the non-Catholic questions.

I also clicked on one answer that I actually did know and did get right, but which for some reason, wasn’t actually recorded by my computer, so the quiz counted it as skipped or “wrong,” for some reason.

Interesting - but I’m not sure that it’s premise is all that accurate. It seems to equate knowledge of the Bible with being a good Christian…It is not…
Jesus gave us a single Command to Love one anther as He has loved us (John 13:34-35).
So who is more “Christian” the one who “knows the bible” but does not Love - or the one who Loves but does not “know the bible”?

When asked what was the greatest commandment He said (basically) that there were two - Love God above all else and Love your neighbor as yourself. He then said that all of the Law and all of the prophets are built on these. So If I know these two commands and strive to put them into practice - Do I not know all the law and the prophets?

Should Christians read the bible more? Sure. But knowledge of the bible - of the type asked for in the quiz - has little or nothing to do with being a good Christian.

Just my thoughts…

Peace
James

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

DaddyGirl;12401011] The self-professed religious better start studying the words of their Gods!
I remember a study a few years ago about how Atheists were better versed in the bibles than the general majority of Theists, which was rather amusing.
But it made sense.
Both “converted” Atheists/Agnostics or “crade” Atheists/Agnostics usually do a lot of research before they reach their conclusions. Whereas many religious people it seems readily accept a religion because they are born into/brought up in it, without asking a lot of questions or aggressively studying it.

I believe James 2:19 puts it in a nutshell,

"Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble. " KJV

Protector.

15/15 - 100% :d

I also got all 15 right. Does that mean I am not devout?

The questions about Supreme Court decisions were not covered in my 17 years of Catholic schools, but I was always good at taking tests.:wink: I would be really upset if the children in seventh grade and confirmation prep religious education classes I taught missed some of those questions, but I am not surprised. We have had of couple of generations taught that Jesus loves them and little else. Concepts like Saint Augustine saying, “Love and do what you will” would be totally dangerous without basic knowledge behind that.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.