The Didicae?

I was listening to a local show on my Catholic radio, and something called “The Didicae” was mentioned. I’ve been trying to find this text, or at least references to it, with little help (I’m blaming my ignorance and spelling!).

Does anyone know more about this text? I only caught a few mentions of it, but it sounds like something I’d like to read :slight_smile:

would not know the spelling just from hearing it. Didache, writings of early Church leaders in apostolic times. search hear and on google for that term, which I assume is Greek

Hi

I think I might be able to help you a little bit. When I saw your question I then reached for my copy of The Didache. Here's what I have. It's part of series of books from the Paulist Press (#6). The series is called "ANCIENT CHRISTIAN WRITERS: The Works Of The Fathers In Translation" Edited by Johannes Quasten, S.T.D. and Joseph C. Plumpe, Ph. D., The Catholic University of America

Washington, D.C. (1948). Newly Translated and Annotated, by James A. Kleist, S.J., Ph.D., Professor of Classical Languages, St. Louis University, St. Louis, MO.

The book has:
                     The Didache (The Teachings of the 12 Apostles)
                     The Epistle of Barnabas
                     The Esiptles and the Martydom of St. Polycarp
                     The Fragments of Papias
                     The Epistle to Diognetus
                        and the notes of each book.

Here’s some examples of what The Didache teaches about:
* Epitome of Christain morality, suited to pagans candidates
for baptism
* Practice of Christian virtue
* Vices to be shunned
* Ritual or liturgical summary
* Explains the rite of baptism,by immersion & by aspersion
* Christian practice of fasting and prayer
* Prayers to be used at the private or domestic celebration of
of the Eucharist
* Church organization and church life
* Reference to the regular Sunday observance
* Rules for proper behavior toward bishops and deacons

I hope that helps.

Is one of the earliest chistian writtings that did not (barely) made to the Bible. It was made by people who knew the Apostles fist hand.

Here you can find several versions online:

earlychristianwritings.com/didache.html

You will be surprised to recognize many Catholic and Eastern Orthodox there in a document written when some of the apostles were alive.

MANY thanks, just what I was looking for!

Spelling was the culprit :slight_smile:

I ran into an English translation of the Didache on the Vatican website. I don’t remember exactly where, but I suggest going to the site map for starters. It was in an area along with other Patristics literature.

Matthew

youtube.com/watch?v=FvcizFKWNfc

Didicae is mentioned

They might have been talking about the SUPERB instructional textbooks by Midwest Theological Forum. (Google Midwest Theological Forum Didache).

They’re a bit more readable for beginners than the ancient one!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.