The different meanings of Catholics: Irish, Russian, Roman?

What differs from an Irish, Russian and Roman Catholic? When did the differences come about?

[quote=The Catholic]What differs from an Irish, Russian and Roman Catholic? When did the differences come about?
[/quote]

If you are really interested in knowing you’ll have to find a good book on the topic because it is much too complex to discuss in full on a message board. :slight_smile:

Having said that, though, you are using the wrong names for various Catholic Rites. Their are several Catholic Rites that are under the jurisdiction of the pope and the Magisterium of the Church. In very broad terms, they are the Roman Rite which include Europe, most of the Americas, and Asia. And several Eastern Rites that encompasses parts of Eastern Europe, the Middle East, as well as Russia. They all hold to the same beliefs, but have varying Rites for their liturgies.

All Catholics are in union with the Pope. There are no doctrinal differences.

The term “Irish Catholic” is one of ethnicity, not of religion.

Quickly the history of the term Roman Catholic stems from the split of england from the Church. Englicans still wanted to call themselves catholic so they made a distinction in terms - english catholics (which became Anglicans) and Roman Catholics. Roman Catholic was on par with other derogatory terms such as Romanish, Papist, etc. In time Catholics took to themselves the term Roman Catholic as a term of pride and the name stuck. So, in essence an insult was baptized.

Thanks guys. From what I understand different Catholics (such as Irish Catholics) do sacraments at different times. The west does a Baptism, a few years later a Holy Communion, and then eventuly Confirmation. The Eastern Catholics do them all at once. Is this correct?

[quote=The Catholic]Thanks guys. From what I understand different Catholics (such as Irish Catholics) do sacraments at different times. The west does a Baptism, a few years later a Holy Communion, and then eventuly Confirmation. The Eastern Catholics do them all at once. Is this correct?
[/quote]

I still don’t know what you mean by “Irish Catholics”.

[quote=The Catholic]Thanks guys. From what I understand different Catholics (such as Irish Catholics) do sacraments at different times. The west does a Baptism, a few years later a Holy Communion, and then eventuly Confirmation. The Eastern Catholics do them all at once. Is this correct?
[/quote]

Not quite. Each Episcopal conference has slightly different guidelines as to when the sacraments are to be given. As a general rule in the west we follow the german model and in the east they baptize, chrismate and eucharize all at the same time.

Thanks mosher, that’s what I was asking.

closed #9

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.