The digestion of the Eucharist

Okay, if the Eucharist is truly the body & blood of Our Lord (which I do believe) what happens to it during digestion - and afterwards. I reasoned that any bit that wasn’t properly digested before was somehow removed of its sacred nature - however I feel that this would be wrong now, because that would involve the substance changing back into bread.

Catholig

You’re actually correct. It is church teaching that the Eucharist is only Our Lord as long as it retains the appearances of bread and wine. And that if and when those characteristics break down post-Communion it ceases to be Our Lord.

Particles of Host that are invisible are no longer Eucharist. Neither is a drop of Precious Blood on a cloth, once that cloth has been properly rinsed and washed, even though invisible molecules of the wine are still there.

So an average of 15 minutes in the human mouth or stomach, similarly, is sufficient to break the bread and wine down to the point where they no longer retain the characteristics of bread and wine. At this point they are no longer Our Lord.

He’s smart that way, and makes things easy for us that way too :wink: :thumbsup: :getholy:

All I can say is

[SIGN]Ooo Ahhh[/SIGN]

Good answer Lily,

These are the kinds of concerns that really we should not have. Trying to tie down every detail in our faith will give one a headache. :frowning:
The Lord said to take this and eat. Believe and just leave the rest to him.
Just believe and be at peace.:thumbsup:

James

Ive got a question into the apologists on the Eucharist, been almost a week now, hope I get a answer, I will have to see.

But this spurs another question, what would happen if for instance a Catholic was stranded on a desert island (like Castaway, instead of a ball however we would have the Lord) :wink:

anyway, I digress, Joe is stranded on that island, and cannot have Eucharist anymore, is he in trouble?

another thought say you live somewhere and the govt turns and you cant leave but the churches are closed and you can no longer partake.

What about stuff like this.?? A protestant can eat a piece of coconut and drink water, (not sure on that either actually just a guess) so corrections welcome OR they could eat bread and drink wine or juice in their closet without the govt seeing.

If that was true then a protestant could survive and a catholic would not. In the area of Communion Eucharist anyway.

Just wondering please no one think this is attacking anyone. And no one please use this to attack anyone either. Havent explored all there is on the subject, thats all.

:shrug:

No-one would be in trouble in such situations. If through no fault of your own you have no access to Mass or to the Eucharist then you are not sinning by not going to Mass or partaking.

God doesn’t expect us to do the impossible. Nor does He hold us accountable for things like being stranded on a desert island, or living in an anti-religious country that we can’t leave, that are beyond our control.

He will have to endure his 40 days like Jesus and pray often to God.

another thought say you live somewhere and the govt turns and you cant leave but the churches are closed and you can no longer partake.

You can go underground like they did in the early Christianity.

What about stuff like this.?? A protestant can eat a piece of coconut and drink water, (not sure on that either actually just a guess) so corrections welcome OR they could eat bread and drink wine or juice in their closet without the govt seeing

If that was true then a protestant could survive and a catholic would not. In the area of Communion Eucharist anyway.

Just wondering please no one think this is attacking anyone. And no one please use this to attack anyone either. Havent explored all there is on the subject, thats all.

:shrug:

A Catholic would survive. There have been stories of saints being exile, like St. Anathanius. He was cut off from the world unable to shepard his flock in his Church…

Thanks Manny and

Lily this makes me feel better actually, I was thinking because of the “seriousness” of the Eucharist, in that its done frequentely and in certain ways, I was thinking what if it wasnt available, then what?? Would it all fall apart.

There is one on thing that would make it bad for us, if all the priests were gone. No priests, no Eucharist. No Eucharistic worship. No Real Presence. Since the priest can consecrate the bread and wine into the Body and Blood of Jesus (by the Power of the Holy Spirit). No Jesus no Mass.

I often heard some Protestants (X-Catholics) say, we don’t need the priests. I think that would set a bad presidence, since without the priests there won’t be source summit of our faith. Just as Pope John Paul II, the Eucharist is the source and summit of our faith. We do need priests.

Nope, has happened many times. My father in law was Russian Orthodox - in Russia. Mass was in secret, and not every Sunday… but guess what? Catholicism & faith survived, and the Soviet empire fell.

If Jesus taught that what we eat is not important, how does this square with the teaching of the Eucharist?

Jesus taught that what we eat isn’t important? Where did you get this idea?

If you’re referring to adherence to mosaic law, that issue has been addressed many times. Christians are no longer bound to jewish ordinances, but this is hardly a broad statement that “it doesn’t matter what you eat”.

It seems to be a pretty broad statement actually. I understand christians aren’t bound by this law – either under Judaism or under Catholicism.

Well I agree you need the priests, even on the protestant side pastors etc are needed etc for the same thing even if its a symbol, at least its still a cermony and just not anyone can do it. I dont know why anyone says illogical things like that, they serve no purpose. :shrug: from either side that makes no sense.

I read one time that if all of the things we “do” fell away or we couldnt do them, that it wouldnt change God. So I suppose what LIght Seeker you say about the Russian Orthodox church makes sense. And we know there is other churches in diffferent parts of the world that practice in secret. I knew of a lady blogger who was muslim family but gave her heart to Jesus, but will only secretly worship Him. She will never have a communion or baptism.

But when I asked the question which I realise is sorta verging on a derail (sorry to op) if it wasnt there, I thought things would fall apart because it seems so much attention is put on it. Like worring about digestion, but I see while its important, its not critical if thats a good way to put it. :slight_smile:

Verse please. I’m unaware that Jesus would say such things. After all it matters what we eat. I mean, there is a big difference between eating wood or lots of healthy vegetables. :slight_smile:

I believe they may be refering to this from Matthew 15:

10 And he called the people to him and said to them, “Hear and understand: 11 it is not what goes into the mouth that defiles a person, but what comes out of the mouth; this defiles a person.” 12 Then the disciples came and said to him, “Do you know that the Pharisees were offended when they heard this saying?” 13 He answered, “Every plant that my heavenly Father has not planted will be rooted up. 14 Let them alone; they are blind guides. [3] And if the blind lead the blind, both will fall into a pit.” 15 But Peter said to him, “Explain the parable to us.” 16 And he said, “Are you also still without understanding? 17 **Do you not see that whatever goes into the mouth passes into the stomach and is expelled? **[4] 18 But what comes out of the mouth proceeds from the heart, and this defiles a person. 19 For out of the heart come evil thoughts, murder, adultery, sexual immorality, theft, false witness, slander. 20 These are what defile a person. But to eat with unwashed hands does not defile anyone.”

Jesus is trying to get his diciples to understand the difference between the corporeal world and the spiritual world. That the corporeal is just exists and is neither good or bad. The spiritual world, which we effect with every thought and action, is the important aspect.

In the case of the Eucharist, there is the corporeal component and the spiritual. What happens to the corporeal is not important. It is the spiritual component that is important.

James

We aren’t bound to this law because we are bound to Christ, who is the law - the Torah incarnate.

Here’s another thought, when we eat something alive we kill it when we chew it, so your NOT injesting the living Lord but in reality your killing him by chewing him.:eek:

Sure, if you can only conceive of God in limited, temporal, mortal, material terms.

Or you could believe in the Christian God instead. :thumbsup:

Here’s another thought. When you crucify somebody and pierce them with a spear and they die, they stay dead. :eek:

:eek:Unless of course you just happen to be Jesus Christ, in which case all the rules go out the airlock and God decrees that something miraculous is and it is.

The Greek that is used in John 6 does indeed mean to chew and gnaw, so then Jesus was not speaking symbolically, and St. Paul proves it when he writes in 1st Corinthians 11:23-30
[23] For I received from the Lord what I also delivered to you, that the Lord Jesus on the night when he was betrayed took bread,
[24] and when he had given thanks, he broke it, and said, “This is my body which is for you. Do this in remembrance of me.”
[25] In the same way also the cup, after supper, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in my blood. Do this, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of me.”
[26] For as often as you eat this bread and drink the cup, you proclaim the Lord’s death until he comes.
[27] Whoever, therefore, eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of profaning the body and blood of the Lord.
[28] Let a man examine himself, and so eat of the bread and drink of the cup.
[29] For any one who eats and drinks without discerning the body eats and drinks judgment upon himself.
[30] That is why many of you are weak and ill, and some have died.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.