The Divine Mercy Image

I was told by some protestants thjat Catholics worship images and they used the divine mercy image as an example. I had never heard of this before. I looked it up on the web and it sure looks to me like we are worshiping images.

Can anyone explain this to me?

It’d help a lot if you posted the links to the sites that gave you this impression.

You also need to realize that to some n-Cs we can’t do anything right. :rolleyes: They are so hung up on looking for something to whack the Church on that they completely fail to notice one of the most beautiful and powerful intercessory prayers in our most holy faith. Tell me, have you ever prayed the Divine Mercy Chaplet for someone to come to Christ?

Gimme those links and we’ll be able to talk about this, but don’t let those guys mess with your head & faith. Don’t you know better than this? :thumbsup:
Pax tecum,

[quote=ekim61]I was told by some protestants thjat Catholics worship images and they used the divine mercy image as an example. I had never heard of this before. I looked it up on the web and it sure looks to me like we are worshiping images.

[/quote]

Also ask them why God told the people who got bit byt snakes to gaze upon the bronze serpent? Was He telling them to worship it???

[quote=Church Militant]It’d help a lot if you posted the links to the sites that gave you this impression.

You also need to realize that to some n-Cs we can’t do anything right. :rolleyes: They are so hung up on looking for something to whack the Church on that they completely fail to notice one of the most beautiful and powerful intercessory prayers in our most holy faith. Tell me, have you ever prayed the Divine Mercy Chaplet for someone to come to Christ?

Gimme those links and we’ll be able to talk about this, but don’t let those guys mess with your head & faith. Don’t you know better than this? :thumbsup:
Pax tecum,
[/quote]

Here ya go
ewtn.com/Devotionals/mercy/image.htm

catholic-forum.com/churches/cathteach/divinemercy.htm

[quote=Lisa4Catholics]Also ask them why God told the people who got bit byt snakes to gaze upon the bronze serpent? Was He telling them to worship it???
[/quote]

Actually that’s exactly what I told them.

[quote=ekim61]Actually that’s exactly what I told them.
[/quote]

Well how did they attempt to weasel out of that???:eek:

I work in a Methodist Nursing Home as a nurse. It can be very difficult in the hectic pace to keep focused. So, I bring my own reminders, and pause in our Catholic patients rooms that have reminders. Oh, by reminders I mean statues, pictures (especially Devine Mercy), my rosary, etc. I am sure you have pictures of your family to remind you of them. When we make the sign of the cross and kneel it is the spirit within that knows who we are praying to, opening your eyes and glancing at the image is like a visual encouragement. As music enspires, so does art.

Well i for one and all my catholics friends don’t think that Jesus lives in a statue. Yeah the love of or a love for Jesus went into the making of that statue. when are these people going to understand basic grammar? That the sentences “That is a statue OF Jesus” (what catholics say) AND “thats statue IS jesus” (What a lot of protestants think we say) mean two totaly different things? what are these people dyslexic? truely if brains were dynamite most protestants would have enough to blow their nose.

[quote=misterX]Well i for one and all my catholics friends don’t think that Jesus lives in a statue. Yeah the love of or a love for Jesus went into the making of that statue. when are these people going to understand basic grammar? That the sentences “That is a statue OF Jesus” (what catholics say) AND “thats statue IS jesus” (What a lot of protestants think we say) mean two totaly different things? what are these people dyslexic? truely if brains were dynamite most protestants would have enough to blow their nose.
[/quote]

Actually they are uninformed. They dont know the Truth and i cant see how your attitude is going to reach lost sheep. Maybe you should bite your tongue before you speak, because im not feeling any Holy Spirit coming through your post.

[quote=ekim61]I was told by some protestants thjat Catholics worship images and they used the divine mercy image as an example. I had never heard of this before. I looked it up on the web and it sure looks to me like we are worshiping images.

[/quote]

Ah, so Americans do worship their flag :thumbsup: Quick get out your in a Pagan state! Jokes, (though the pledge to an inanimate object has me puzzled), Americans honour that which is represented by “Old Glory” not the fabric or the stars or the stripes, but the blood for which it was paid for. By honouring the Saints and their images we honour Jesus who became the image or icon of the invisible God and by whose blood the Saints were redeemed.

[quote=misterX]truely if brains were dynamite most protestants would have enough to blow their nose.
[/quote]

I meant wouldn’'t have enough… gesh the Irony

[quote=Magicsilence]Actually they are uninformed. They dont know the Truth and i cant see how your attitude is going to reach lost sheep. Maybe you should bite your tongue before you speak, because im not feeling any Holy Spirit coming through your post.
[/quote]

Actualy i think you’ll find these people are informed. Well most of them are anyways. Most do know the truth. They just straight out lie, they bring false witness against Jesus one true followers. They have to nit pick every single thing that catholics do And why do they do this even though these anti catholics know the truth?

[/quote]

:stuck_out_tongue: Darn, my secret is out. I’m a Catholic and I worship images. Gee, I tried all these years to keep it a secret but you found the out answer on the web.
:banghead: :banghead:

[quote=ekim61]Here ya go
ewtn.com/Devotionals/mercy/image.htm

catholic-forum.com/churches/cathteach/divinemercy.htm
[/quote]

Where on any of these links does it say we adore a picture as God? We adore who the picture represents as God, but not the picture itself.

Directly below the quote there is this: “First, by itself an image is merely a painting, no matter how beautiful and expressive. Yet, it can point us the mysteries of the faith and dispose us to grasp and receive what it represents, in this case the Divine Mercy.” So, I think it’s pretty safe to say no one is supposed to be worshiping this image. It’s a good reminder and can help us focus, but worship–nah!!

[/quote]

Mike, as a Catholic have you ever worshipped an image? :slight_smile: (I didn’t think so - and neither have I.)

The reason we Catholics truly have honor for things we can see and feel, etc., has to do with the Incarnation in that Catholicism understands and appreciates the reality of the God becoming Man, whereas Protestantism merely pays it lip service without truly appreciating what it means for God to have become Man. As St. Paul says of Christ: “He is the visible image of the invisible God; and so in seeing Him we are caught up in love for the God we cannot see.”

This situation (the Incarnation) changes everything. It shows that the New Covenant in Christ is different from God’s Covenant with Israel. In the Christian Covenant, we have Emmanuel (“God-with-us”), and, therefore, not only Christ’s Incarnation reflects the glory of the Father, but also the Church – the extension of Christ’s Incarnation (i.e., the Body of Christ) – reflects God’s glory. Thus Mary and the other Saints who reflect Christ, thereby reflect the Father’s glory. And so, images of Christ and the Saints are at the service of this incarnational glory of God; and the law against “graven images” is turned against itself in Christ.

Under the Old Law the Israelites were not to make graven images because no earthly creation could reflect the glory of God. Yet, after the Incarnation, this is possible, but only in Christ and in His Saints – those who are part of His Body.

So, the key to understanding Catholic iconography is to appreciate the reality of Christ’s Incarnation. In rejecting the legitimacy of icons and other religious images, the Protestant world comes very close to rejecting the Incarnation Itself. Indeed, Christ became FLESH in order to save FLESH (us). If everything is merely spiritual, why did Jesus need to come in the flesh at all?? This must be addressed and recognized.

Here is an excellent article on the subject of sacred images:

kensmen.com/catholic/images.html

I think questions like the one above come from a very limited definition of worship.

st julie

this month a lot of Christian students, led by evangelical or fundamentalist organizations such as CCC, will be urged to meet at the flagpole at their school for prayer, together, in a group, out loud. As they gather around the flagpole do you think they will be worshipping the flag, or the pole? I think not.

[quote=Lisa4Catholics]Well how did they attempt to weasel out of that???:eek:
[/quote]

They avoided the question. That is what they do. If you prove them wrong or back them into a corner they do not respond. They will reply with some other anti-catholic rhetoric.

[quote=Genesis315]Where on any of these links does it say we adore a picture as God? We adore who the picture represents as God, but not the picture itself.
[/quote]

So maybe I should have posted the quote because it is kinda buried in the link. Can anyone please explain what this means. What does venerate mean?

In the evening, when I was in my cell, I saw the Lord Jesus clothed in a white garment. One hand raised in the gesture of blessing, the other was touching the garment at the breast. From beneath the garment, slightly drawn aside at the breast, there were emanating two large rays, one red, the other pale. In silence I kept my gaze fixed on the Lord; my soul was struck with awe, but also with great joy. After a while, Jesus said to me, Paint an image according to the pattern you see, with the signature: Jesus, I trust in You. I desire that this image be venerated, first in your chapel, and [then] throughout the world. I promise that the soul that will venerate this image will not perish.I also promise victory over enemies already here on earth, especially at the hour if death. I myself will defend it as My own glory. (47-8)

The underlined sentence is what they used to say we worship images. Here is the link to where this came from:
catholic-forum.com/churches/cathteach/divinemercy_image.htm

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.