The divine name

So, the priest mentioned that we’re not to say the Divine name any more. Which I was a bit:confused: over. Are there any reasons given somewhere that I could read? Apologise if this has been covered extensively elsewhere, I tried searching but it was all unrelated to my query.

The Vatican has declared that we shouldn’t use the name “Yahweh” any more. Here’s a great article that outlines the reasons.

Thanks, that’s interesting. So it’s a combination of reasons, inaccuracy being among them? (I don’t buy the ‘it would offend other religions’ thing, myself)

Jesus IS Lord!!!

Glenda

Well, there is ‘no other name under heaven by which we are saved’, of course :slight_smile:

Glenda has a point. The divine name is Jesus. The early Church revered the Holy Name.

*But Peter said, "I have no silver and gold, but I give you what I have; in the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, walk." (Acts 3:6)

And this she did for many days. But Paul was annoyed, and turned and said to the spirit, "I charge you in the name of Jesus Christ to come out of her." And it came out that very hour. (Acts 16:8)*

January 3 is the Feast of the Holy Name of Jesus. It is eight days after the Nativity, when a Jewish child would have been circumcised and would have received his name.

-Tim-

I never knew this! Very interesting.

St. Joan of Arc died with the name of Jesus on her lips. The Holy Name is very powerful.

The word Jesus is a prayer…

**CCC 2666-2668: To pray “Jesus” is to invoke him and to call him within us. His name is the only one that contains the presence it signifies. Jesus is the Risen One, and whoever invokes the name of Jesus is welcoming the Son of God who loved him and who gave himself up for him.

-Tim-

There is an excellent article about the names of God in “Bible Review” August 2003 - “Why God Has So Many Names” by Richard Lang. They use the traditional name of YHWH. It goes deeply into all the names and there Hebrew words. This idea that the Jews don’t know the name of God is silly. The publishers of this now out of publication magazine, are the same group generally that publish BAR - Biblical Archaeology Review. Hint, … there predominately Jewish! Perhaps it’s the Vatican that doesn’t know the name of God?:wink:

Thanks for posting this. It’s a good and accurate article. Not only do the Jewish people refer to God as ‘Adonai’ (Lord), they also quite often call him HaShem - which means ‘The Name’.

No one for thousands of years has known how to pronounce God’s name accurately (due to the lack of vowels in the Hebrew language), During Temple times, (Solomon’s Temple), only the High Priest was allowed to say God’s Sacred and Holy Name, and he usually did so when there was a lot of background noise - such as a choir singing, and no one could really hear the pronunciation. After the temple was destroyed in about 587 BC, and all temple services halted, God’s Holy name was not spoken even by the High Priest. Over this long period of time, the correct pronunciation was lost.

Another example would be ‘Jehovah’, which is just another mispronunciation of the Sacred Name.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.