The doctrine of the papacy can not be defended from the Bible

Will some one Please give me the bible verses that will make this statement WRONG ?

You might wish to start with Matthew16:15-19, when read in conjunction with Isaiah’s speaking of stewardship of the “the keys” in Isaiah 22:15-25 regarding Eliakim. Saint Paul in I Corinthians15:3-5 also talks about what what was “handed on” to him and even cites to Saitn Peter as “rock”, just like our Lord did in the Gospel of Saint Matthew. Remember that to name someone in the ancient Jewish world at that time was of utmost and singulat import in terms of what the person was defined to be–especially if performed by God. Jesus and His followers knew this and isn’t interesting to note throughout Acts of the Apostles that Saint Peter is always named first (another significant fact–the ORDER in which key people are listed in Scripture) and is clearly the leader of the Twelve. Finally, Revelation 3:7 talks about the holy one who holds the"keys of David" (clearly an allusion to Christ), but then Christ passed this stweardship DIRECTLY AND WITHOUT EQUIVOCATION TO SAINT PETER. I trust many other passages can be cited, but the early church Fathers obviously felt stronly about this or the Roman See would not have, from very early on, been the arbiter of disputes and the final say in order to keep union throughout the church catholic.

Matthew 16:18 clearly indicates that Simon Peter is the rock upon which Jesus will found his church.

I think that part of the problem is simply a sort of historical blindness. People have the idea that the papacy must have looked the same in NT times as it does today. It doesn’t, any more than the presidency of George W. Bush looks like the presidency of George Washington. Same institution, different times.

I think you make a most excellant point. It is not what the institution is like now, with its college or cardinals, basilica, vestements, etc., but is whether its teachings are consistent with what the church has taught at all times, in all places regarding Christ. People have strong opinions about some of that, but the church and its bishops are really the “successor” of the Jewish scribes/priests who taught from “the chair of Moses”, as our Lord specifically referenced in Saint Matthew’s gospel (if I recall correctly). It is the teaching and preaching that flows through time from the Roman See that is the key. Shalom.

PAPACY & APOSTOLIC SUCCESSION
Primacy of Peter
Mt 16:18 - upon this rock (Peter) I will build my church
Mt 16;19 - give you keys of the kingdom; power to bind & loose
Lk 22:32 - Peter’s faith will strengthen his brethren
Jn 21:17 - given Christ’s flock as chief shepherd
Mk 16:7 - angel sent to announce Resurrection to Peter
Lk 24:34 - risen Jesus first appeared to Peter
Acts 1:13-26 - headed meeting which elected Matthias
Acts 2:14 - led Apostles in preaching on Pentecost
Acts 2:41 - received first converts
Acts 3:6-7 - performed first miracle after Pentecost
Acts 5:1-11 - inflicted first punishment: Ananias & Saphira
Acts 8:21 - excommunicated first heretic, Simon Magnus
Acts 10:44-46 - received revelation to admit Gentiles into Church
Acts 15:7 - led first council in Jerusalem
Acts 15:19 - pronounces first dogmatic decision
Gal 1:18 - after conversion, Paul visits chief Apostle
*Gal 2:11-14 - I opposed Cephas to his face for his hypocrisy
Peter’s name always heads list of Apostles: Mt 10;14; Mk 3:16-19; Lk 6:14-16; Acts 1:13
"Peter and his companions" Lk 9:32; Mk 16:7
Spoke for Apostles - Mt 18:21; Mk 8:29; Lk 8:45; 12:41; Jn 6:69
Peter’s name occurs 195 times, more than all the rest put together

Apostolic Church
Jn 15;16 - Jesus chose special men to be his Apostles
Jn 20:21 - Jesus gave the Apostles his own mission
Lk 22:29-3 - Jesus gave them a kingdom
Mt 16:18 - Jesus built Church on Peter, the rock
Jn 10:16 - one shepherd to shepherd Christ’s sheep
Lk 22:32, Jn 21:17 - Peter appointed to be chief shepherd
Eph 4;11 - church leaders are hierarchical
1Tim 3:1, 8; 5:17 - identifies roles of bishops, priests, deacons
Tit 1:5 - commission for bishops to ordain priests

Authoritative Church
Mt 28:18-20 - Jesus delegates all power to Apostles
Jn 20:23 - power to forgive sin
1Cor 11:23-24 - power to offer sacrifice (Eucharist)
Lk 10:16 - power to speak with Christ’s voice
Mt 18:18 - power to legislate
Mt 18:17 - power to discipline

The inerrancy of the Bible can’t be defended from the Bible.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.