The 'dos and don'ts' of Adoration

Someone told me yesterday that you shouldn’t do the Stations of the Cross during Adoration; is this true and are there any other prayers you shouldn’t say during Adoration?

As far as I know, where the ‘stations of the Cross’ are concerned, that is entirely unto itself, and I’ve never heard/seen anyone do this during Adoration.

Adoration is a very special time, aside from everything else, whereby we take the time to ‘BE with our Lord.’, (commune in prayer) in the sense focussing on the Holy Eucharist (His ACTUAL presence) in the Monstrance placed before us on the altar.

Our parish has set aside this time of Adoration every Fri. morning after Mass.

I was hoping for some insight from people. Do you think it would be appropriate for me to propose to my girlfriend when we are before the Lord in Adoration? I don’t have anything big planned and no theatrics. We are striving so much to make every aspect of our lives edifying to God, and I really liked the idea of proposing to her in His physical presence as a show of faith that our lives will forever be His and that our marriage will be built on His Church. Would that be disrespectful as I can understand for that moment, it might take the focus off God? Not sure if that’s something that is acceptable or not? Anyways, just looking for some insight. I’ll ask Father about it once I get closer to having the money needed for an engagement ring. Until then, what does my beautiful family at CAF think?

Pax Christi!

This is new to me: I’ve never heard of praying the Stations during Adoration, and I’ve never heard that you shouldn’t. I have heard that it’s okay to pray a Rosary during Adoration, so I don’t know why you shouldn’t pray the Stations.

If it was your priest or spiritual counselor who told you this, I would suggest you follow the advice. Otherwise, you can probably go ahead.

I don’t think I would walk around doing the Way of the Cross, but to meditate on them while in the Presence would be appropriate I think.

With regard to proposal, I think it is a beautiful idea, just not sure of the “how”. I think you should talk with your pastor about this to make sure it is ok. I would be careful to not distract other adorers.

Well personally I would not do any prayers during Adoration beside praying/talking to Jesus. However I am sure he will not mind you pray the stations of the cross. I have seen others praying the rosary during Adoration which I thought to be disrespectful but then I learned how much Jesus wants us to spend time with his mother and in turn Mary brings us closer to Jesus.

Not to demeen in any way, your proposal, Congrats! However I would think that the time you spend in Adoration should be soley unto our Lord Himself…and no other.

That would be the purpose of Adoration?

God Bless

[quote="At_His_Feet, post:7, topic:327051"]
Not to demeen in any way, your proposal, Congrats! However I would think that the time you spend in Adoration should be soley unto our Lord Himself...and no other.

That would be the purpose of Adoration?

God Bless

[/quote]

:thumbsup:

Perhaps you should ask her earlier, then go to Adoration together with prayers of thanksgiving! On the other hand, if she turns you down, you could be spiritually consoled. :wink:

[quote="Bonnie, post:9, topic:327051"]
Perhaps you should ask her earlier, then go to Adoration together with prayers of thanksgiving! On the other hand, if she turns you down, you could be spiritually consoled. ;)

[/quote]

:thumbsup:

[quote="SaintFrancis333, post:3, topic:327051"]
I was hoping for some insight from people. Do you think it would be appropriate for me to propose to my girlfriend when we are before the Lord in Adoration? I don't have anything big planned and no theatrics. We are striving so much to make every aspect of our lives edifying to God, and I really liked the idea of proposing to her in His physical presence as a show of faith that our lives will forever be His and that our marriage will be built on His Church. Would that be disrespectful as I can understand for that moment, it might take the focus off God? Not sure if that's something that is acceptable or not? Anyways, just looking for some insight. I'll ask Father about it once I get closer to having the money needed for an engagement ring. Until then, what does my beautiful family at CAF think?

[/quote]

I would find out what are the rules for where you are thinking about proposing. I go to a chapel that has perpetual adoration and there are rules that there should only be reverent and SILENT prayer. And nothing that would disrupt others from their time in front of the Eucharist. I don't see how a marriage proposal would fit into those rules. Talk to the priest, but I don't think it would be an appropriate place to propose.

I was hoping for some insight from people. Do you think it would be appropriate for me to propose to my girlfriend when we are before the Lord in Adoration? I don't have anything big planned and no theatrics. We are striving so much to make every aspect of our lives edifying to God, and I really liked the idea of proposing to her in His physical presence as a show of faith that our lives will forever be His and that our marriage will be built on His Church. Would that be disrespectful as I can understand for that moment, it might take the focus off God? Not sure if that's something that is acceptable or not? Anyways, just looking for some insight. I'll ask Father about it once I get closer to having the money needed for an engagement ring. Until then, what does my beautiful family at CAF think?

[/quote]

I wouldn't do it there. The focus is on Jesus, not on your personal relationship. I would, as another poster suggested, propose first, and then go to adoration if your GF agrees.

[quote="chubbychops, post:1, topic:327051"]
Someone told me yesterday that you shouldn't do the Stations of the Cross during Adoration; is this true and are there any other prayers you shouldn't say during Adoration?

[/quote]

Just to be Pedantic, I will assume that by "Adoration" you mean a time in the Chapel that is set aside for Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament, which is Exposed in a Monstrance for this purpose. This is often accompanied by Benediction at the start (or end) of the period.

Personally I would suggest that "Adoration" of is a time which is best spent in Contemplative prayer. However that is a form of prayer which needs to be learned.

If you are unable to spend long periods of time in Contemplative prayer, then I would suggest that structured forms of meditative prayer like the Rosary (meditating on the Mysteries), The Stations of the Cross, The Lectio Divina etc are an excellent way to spend the time in front of Our Lords exposed Body and Blood.

Focus on Him. Learn from Him. Adore Him.
I would suggest that the Lectio Divina is a particularly useful tool for this time, as it explicitly draws the pilgrim into both meditative and contemplative prayer in a structured way, and teaches both of those prayer forms, centered on His Word.

I like the “Romantic” nature of the Idea, however I would join my voice to those who have advised that during Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament is not the appropriate occasion for this. Perhaps some other event of significance to your faith would be appropriate to make the proposal, or inside the church at a different time?

I prefer the perpetual adoration chapel but it is so far from me. It is quiet, and generally people there either pray the rosary quietly, pray, sit quiet, or read from a prayer book

[/quote]

I'd find it inappropriate and distracting, as someone who is committed to this regularly.

but YMMV

Haha then I’ll have all my bases covered :thumbsup: I appreciate everyone’s insight. Thank you all and God Bless.

Stations of the Cross is a beautiful devotion but it focuses on the passion and death of Christ. Adoration focuses on His Real Presence.

If you’re in a Church, and the Blessed Sacrament remains inside the tabernacle, then sure, do both devotions. But if you’re in an adoration chapel, or in the Church with the Host exposed in a monstrance, then adoration would be the sole purpose of being there – you wouldn’t want to distract others from their adoration.

In my opinion, a marriage proposal requires a couple to focus on each other – it would be inappropriate to distract others from their adoration, which is prayer. However, if it’s just the two of you, maybe you can ask a priest ahead of time if it might be appropriate. Is your girlfriend well-informed about and accustomed to adoration? If not, well, don’t do it!

I admire your desire to make our Lord integral to your marriage!

I wondered too.

So I pulled out my old copy of " An hour with Jesus," by Queenship Publishing.

I found on page 67, The Way of the Cross (from the Passionist Fathers) :shrug: Obviously not a definitive answer, but I think is shows that it isn't "wrong" to pray/do the Stations during Adoration.

I wouldn't want to walk around during Adoration, especially if there are others there, but there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with praying the Stations.

Holy Eucharist adoration in monstrance is something to be stopped. This is a practice started in 13th century in defense of our theology against protestent theology. Otherwise it does not have any traditional basis. It appears more like a new idea for adoration.

His body is not something to be locked in something for exposing. No one makes bread just to ‘see’. It is made to eat. It fulfills its purpose when it is consumed.

We BE with Him by consuming it as asked by Jesus, not by looking at it.

Holy Eucharist is the sacrament. It is the entire Holy Mass. Mass is not only the bread and wine that becomes the Body and blood of Jesus. Holy Mass is not merely a process for making Jesus’s body and blood. The entire mass is the sacrament and the His body and blood to be consumed within that mass time. No leftover was allowed by God in the old testament pesha.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.