The Douay-Rheims Bible/Vulgate stuff

I have the New American bible but I really wanna get kind of old school and get far back to the original text as I can. I’ve been taking French and thus gotten more interested in Latin. So, I guess the Douay Rheims is really latin or something? Can any of you guys help me out on where I can get one? Or give me advice?

Thanks,
Snakemauler

I have always used the Douay-Rheims. I love the King’s English. It’s beautiful. It is a word for word translation of the Latin Vulgate. The Clementine Latin Vulgate is the one used in the latin Mass. I think you can buy a Clementine Latin Vulgate/Douay-Rheims side by side version.

The DRV is in English. It is a translation of the Latin Vulgate.

The oldest DRV: lulu.com/browse/search.php?search_forum=-1&search_cat=2&show_results=topics&return_chars=200&search_keywords=&keys=&header_search=true&search=&locale=&sitesearch=lulu.com&q=&fListingClass=7&fSearch=original+douay

Beautiful DRVs (all editions from the year 1899): baroniuspress.com/category.php?wid=58&cid=1

Very beautiful DRVs: saintbenedictpress.com/Catholic-Classics/Douay-Rheims-(DR–V).cfm?ct=1403

Vulgate and DRV NT: loretopubs.org/clementine-vulgate-and-rheims-new-testament-the.html

Thanks a lot man. Do you think a side by side vulgate and dr would help me learn latin?

Any modern translation is likely closer to the original text than any medieval translation is.

Good Lord. A Western European.

Find an Extraordinary Form Mass and get an EF missal - I got mine at a Salvation Army store - and learn it that way.

I’m an American. Anyways I ordered something off that lorento publications and it says “open”. Any idea what that means?

How in the world would we know what you are talking about? Maybe the order is still “open”?

anyway … :eek: forty dollars for a parallel Latin/English NT? This is something you can do yourself from public-domain texts cut and pasted off the internet and assembled in your favorite word processor for free!

It might - but it will be ecclesiastical Latin and, depending on which version of the D-R (which was revised several times) possibly an archaic English. So know WHY you want to learn Latin first (classical Latin is not as different from Ecclesiastical Latin as modern English is from Shakespeare, but they’re not the same. . . .)

For some reason people are giving snarky responses to your questions. I have no idea why. Yes, you can pick up some Latin with a side by side translation. If you want to spend $100 to learn some Latin I recommend this for $200:

franciscan-archive.org/latin.html

Also, this website is a big help: churchlatin.com/Learn.aspx

I can’t seem to find it now, but there was once a side-by-side Latin/English New Testament at google books. That would be FREE. Now the easiest to use, but FREE.

Not neccesarily. The DRV was translated from the Latin Vulgate which St Jerome (342-420) translated from the original languages.

When Douay and Rheims did their translation they assumed that St Jerome who lived at a time when the original languages were alot more “alive” than they are now, had a better understanding of those languages. By this reasoning the DRV may be the most accurate.
I’m not saying that it is the most accurate, just that we can’t assume that modern is better. All translations have their problems and their good points.
I will grant that modern science and archaeology is giving us a better and better understanding of acient Israel.

At newadvent.org there’s a side-by-side-by-side Greek/English/Latin Bible…you might want to check that out, too.

Yes, but it’s well known that Jerome’s translation has its limitations and errors. Modern translators have the benefit of sources and knowledge that even Jerome didn’t (whether they choose to use them or not, or how they use them, is of course a different issue).

Ever wonder why so many artistic portrayals of Moses showed him having two horns on his head?

See for instance google.com/images?q=moses+horns&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=univ&ei=ncqqTOiDJdKGnQfriKHZBg&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=4&ved=0CDsQsAQwAw&biw=1178&bih=812

This is because Jerome mistranslated the Hebrew of Exodus 34:35. Rather than (correctly) saying Moses’ face “shown” or “was radiant” (or similar), Jerome translated it as “had horns.”

The Douay-Rheims translation, as you note, maintains Jerome’s translation. I don’t think any contemporary translation does.

It helps but Latin is difficult. There are around 380 conjugation parts to memorize. What I think would help the most is having a software program that had the Clementine Latin Vulgate morphologically tagged with the definitions tagged too. Logos has the Greek & Hebrew tagged but not the Latin. It’s not the same, by the way, to have a Latin Dictionary.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.