The Earth is not Moving by Marshall Hall

Has anybody read this book?

He lays out Biblical, mathematical and scientific arguments for why the Earth really isn’t moving.

I’m only really interested in this subject because the Bible being God’s Book of Truth seems to state the Earth’s immobility pretty clearly…

"yea, the world stands firm, never to be moved."
1 Chronicles 16:30

"Yea, the world is established; it shall never be moved."
Psalms 93:1

Genesis 1:1-19—The Earth was created on the first day, the sun not until the fourth. What would the earth revolve around?

"He stretches out the north over the void, and hangs the earth upon nothing."
Job 26: 7

"Who hast founded the earth upon its own bases: it shall not be moved for ever and ever."
Psalm 103:5 (Psalm 104:5 in King James Version)

"The sun riseth and goeth down and returneth to his place: and there rising again, maketh his round by the south, and turneth again to the north”
Ecclesiastes 1:5, 6

“…Sun, stand thou still…and the sun stood still…” (notice he didn’t tell the earth to stand still, but the sun)
Joshua 10:12,13

Any thoughts?

Well, I don’t believe the Bible should be taken as a scientific book. I myself am an evolutionist as well. I believe that the writers were inspired by God to write spiritual truths, and that we can always turn to the Bible for these matters without fear of mistake. However, science and history are another matter… I think God left this up to the writer to handle it with his own skill. They used what they knew of history to create stories to convey these spiritual truths, and used scientific beliefs of the day. There is no reason for us to believe these things when we have modern science. Science and faith are in perfect harmony, and God wants us to learn about his world using the latest discoveries and theories.
Also, I never said the Bible could not be used for history… I don’t consider it a perfect historical record, but it certainly is one. I don’t consider anything to be a perfect historical record. But it’s a very useful text for faith, obviously, a perfect source for faith, and a very important source for our history. The Gospels in particular are entirely historically true, recorded by the first hand witnesses. Books like Daniel for instance probably weren’t written by people who saw these events happen, but by God’s inspiration using their own historical knowledge, which is by no means to be considered wrong.

From a scientific standpoint, the whole question is a moot point, because you could easily define a frame of reference where the earth is stationary and everything else moves. It’s just a question of semantics – anyone can easily movement in terms of the earth, or any other physical body.

Anyone who attempts to make an argument that goes beyond this semantic one is a nutcase.

Furthermore, other bible passages describe the earth as being flat and covered by a sky-dome (see Genesis 1 among others).

If you believe that the Bible teaches a geocentric cosmology, than you must also concede that the Earth is flat.

I haven’t heard about that book but I believe Robert Sugenis has one. If you search on this forum for his name or geocentricism, you might find it.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.