The Eclipse of the Century, 22 July 2009

"The Eclipse of the Century, 22 July 2009

Presenting…. the main event!

Wednesday, July 22, 2009 — mark this date in your diaries because almost ten years after that historic eclipse of August 1999 in Europe, another event of equally great magnitude will occur — this time in ASIA.

On July 22, 2009 a total solar eclipse will be visible in northern India, Nepal, northern Bangladesh, Bhutan, the northern tip of Myanmar, central China and the Pacific Ocean, including Ryukyu Islands, Marshall Islands and Kiribati."…

Entire article here: sunstopper.wordpress.com/2009/06/17/the-eclipse-of-the-century-22-july-2009/

Why are people so fascinated with eclipses?

When you’ve experienced one, you’ll know.

Betsy

That’s cool!:slight_smile: When is it supposed to happen in the USA?

Total solar ecplise and Pacific Rim are two things that don’t need to be converging at this point and time (Korean peninsula…)

Good Friday had an especially notable one.

Another article from NASA:

"Longest Solar Eclipse of the 21st Century

July 20, 2009: One one-thousand, 2 one-thousand, 3 one-thousand, 4 one-thousand…

Continue counting and don’t stop until you reach 399 one-thousand.

Did that feel like a long time? Six minutes and 39 seconds to be exact. That’s the duration of this week’s total solar eclipse–the longest of the 21st century."…

science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2009/20jul_longestsolareclipse.htm?list1284234

And yet another article:

"Millions brace for century’s longest eclipse
Many Asians on totality’s track plan to stay indoors, giving in to superstition

TAREGNA, India - Hordes of scientists, students and nature enthusiasts prepared Tuesday for the longest total solar eclipse of this century, while millions planned to shutter themselves indoors, giving in to superstitious myths about the phenomenon. "…

Full article here: msnbc.msn.com/id/32011724/ns/technology_and_science-space

I saw it! Not a perfect eclipse because we are a little too far north and it was a bit cloudy but amazing all the same.
Gearoidin

In 2017, and then again in 2024.

August 21, 2017: Sweeps a 70-mile-wide path across the United States, moving across Oregon, Idaho, Wyoming, Nebraska, Missouri, Illinois, Kentucky, Tennessee, North Carolina, and South Carolina

exploratorium.edu/eclipse/future.html

If you follow the link I provided you can see a map of the path of future eclipses around the world (including the 2024 one I mentioned earlier.)

I saw the whole event took place on my geochron clock. It’s cool eventhough I didn’t see it in real life.

Sheesh! Why are humans so fascinated by the stars at night or rainbows or lightning?

Of course there would be no eclipses if God hadn’t made the Moon just the right size & distance from the Earth.

"Darkness falls in Asia during total eclipse, luring masses

(CNN) – The longest solar eclipse of the century cast a wide shadow for several minutes over Asia and the Pacific Ocean Wednesday, luring throngs of people outside to watch the spectacle.

Day turned into night, temperatures turned cooler in cities and villages teemed with amateur stargazers. "…

Full article here: cnn.com/2009/WORLD/asiapcf/07/22/solar.eclipse/index.html

Stars and rainbows are beautiful. Eclipses are unusual spectacles, so that is why I am interested. It appears that you are not interested in them. Fine. For me, I figure it is better than being interested in celebrities, television and the like. Different strokes for different folks.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.